Nick Playing First Base Tonight

Nick The Stick

I like it. There is too much status quo in baseball. Shake things up.

Let him face a batter or two on the mound.

Now that I think is part of the status quo for a reason. Too much risk to the arm. Could you imagine if Wieters or Markakis tore a labrum pitching? There's a reason they always let light-hitting utility players (or washed up Cansecos) pitch in the 16th inning.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When it comes to the OF, what justification is there for Pie in RF. Hes played like an inning there and hes a natural CF. If you want the three of them out there put Pie in LF, Jones in CF and Nolan in RF...sort of obvious is it not?

Maybe they prefer Pie's arm in right to Reimold's, since you generally put your best throwing corner-outfielder in right. Or perhaps the hit charts have shown that the Mariners hitters hit more balls to right than to left. Just spitballing here.

Pujols has real experience at third though.

On top of that, you have Scott and Reimold who have more first base experience than Nick.

On top of all of that, you have Pie in RF and Reimold in LF..Reimold is a natural RFer and Pie has been our LFer for a while now.(now, this could be defensible if RF is regarded as harder to play in Safeco vs LF but Reimold has struggled in LF at Safeco before)

None of this makes any sense.

Pie is our left fielder?

We're going to start calling him "Nick the Pick!" :D

A lot of comps are discussed around here for Markakis but I am positive no one has ever mentioned Doug Mientkiewicz or Casey Kotchman.

A lot of comps are discussed around here for Markakis but I am positive no one has ever mentioned Doug Mientkiewicz or Casey Kotchman.

Casey Kotchman was the first name I thought of when I saw him at first today. Doug M is another good name.

Nick could make himself into a good first baseman if the team wanted him to, I believe. He does stretch too soon (cost him the Reynolds' throw), but there's an adjustment period to get used to meeting the throw.

Archived