Trading Adam Jones

Scrat1

Unless things turn around in a hurry, the O's are probably going to be sellers this July.

Fortunately, the O's have lots of trade chips:

- Guerrero

- Guthrie

- Lee

- Hardy

- Uehara

- Scott (I remain skeptical anyone will give up anything of value for Scott until his injury is sorted out; if he gets traded, it'll most likely be next season.)

Like others, I'm interested in a Alonso/Guthrie deal, and hope MacPhail explores it. Everyone else on that list hopefully just brings back the most amount of talent possible, regardless of age or position. Just bring in some talent.

What about Jones, though? I'm a big Jones fan, and right now he's one of the few players fun to watch on the team. He's incrementally improved almost every aspect of his game and turned into an all around solid, if not great, player.

The problem, from the Orioles standpoint, is next year will be his second arbitration year. He's been in the big leagues for six years, twice as long as Reimold and Wieters. Unless extended, he's not going to be around much longer, and unlikely to be a part of the next Orioles championship team. MacPhail tried to extend him this past offseason, with Jones' representation turning down the offer. As far as I know, no numbers were released.

It's not surprising they weren't able to reach a deal. Jones is a tricky extension candidate. He could either continue to improve from here and become Torii Hunter, or he could remain the player that he currently is, a mid to high .700 OPS center fielder who plays average defense. A useful player, but not a guy you want to commit tens of millions of dollars to. With the Orioles struggling again, and Jones improving, it might be even more difficult to extend him.

So: Would the smart move be to play the long game and move Jones, a la Bedard? Obviously it depends how much we could get for him. The first team that pops into my mind is the Braves. They're in contention and have had ongoing outfield turnover. Jones would slot in nicely there. Not to mention an outfield of Jones and Heyward would be extremely marketable.

Could we get Teheran for Jones? What about Delgado and Vizcaino? The Braves have a lot of young arms in their system--especially considering they already have Hanson, Jurrjens, and Minor in the major league rotation--and can probably afford to trade some away.

If the O's managed to trade Guthrie for Alonso, and Jones for a package of Atlanta's young arms, I think we'd take a major stride forward as an organization. The arms would soon fill the hole left behind by Guthrie, Pie would slide over to center, and Alonso would give us a first base prospect with a little upside, something we haven't had for a very long time.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless things turn around in a hurry, the O's are probably going to be sellers this July.

Fortunately, the O's have lots of trade chips:

- Guerrero

- Guthrie

- Lee

- Hardy

- Uehara

- Scott (I remain skeptical anyone will give up anything of value for Scott until his injury is sorted out; if he gets traded, it'll most likely be next season.)

Like others, I'm interested in a Votto/Guthrie deal, and hope MacPhail explores it. Everyone else on that list hopefully just brings back the most amount of talent possible, regardless of age or position. Just bring in some talent.

What about Jones, though? I'm a big Jones fan, and right now he's one of the few players fun to watch on the team. He's incrementally improved almost every aspect of his game and turned into an all around solid, if not great, player.

The problem, from the Orioles standpoint, is next year will be his second arbitration year. He's been in the big leagues for six years, twice as long as Reimold and Wieters. Unless extended, he's not going to be around much longer, and unlikely to be a part of the next Orioles championship team. MacPhail tried to extend him this past offseason, with Jones' representation turning down the offer. As far as I know, no numbers were released.

It's not surprising they weren't able to reach a deal. Jones is a tricky extension candidate. He could either continue to improve from here and become Torii Hunter, or he could remain the player that he currently is, a mid to high .700 OPS center fielder who plays average defense. A useful player, but not a guy you want to commit tens of millions of dollars to. With the Orioles struggling again, and Jones improving, it might be even more difficult to extend him.

So: Would the smart move be to play the long game and move Jones, a la Bedard? Obviously it depends how much we could get for him. The first team that pops into my mind is the Braves. They're in contention and have had ongoing outfield turnover. Jones would slot in nicely there. Not to mention an outfield of Jones and Heyward would be extremely marketable.

Could we get Teheran for Jones? What about Delgado and Vizcaino? The Braves have a lot of young arms in their system, especially considering they already have Hanson, Jurrjens, and Minor in the major league rotation.

If the O's managed to trade Guthrie for Votto, and Jones for a package of Atlanta's young arms, I think we'd take a major stride forward as an organization. The arms would soon fill the hole left behind by Guthrie, Pie would slide over to center, and Votto would give us a first base prospect with a little upside, something we haven't had for a very long time.

Uh.......

How are these guys trade chips? Other than Jones, not one hitter is playing well.

Jones and Hardy are both playing well. And obviously Uehara and Guthrie are playing well. I addressed Scott, so that only leaves Guerrero, who hasn't been good by any means, but not terrible, and Lee, who hasn't been healthy. There's still a lot of time between now and when we would be trading these guys, so anything could happen. I just said they were trade chips, not that they were all big ones.

How are these guys trade chips? Other than Jones, not one hitter is playing well.

Trade value isn't just based on how they are performing this year though. Sure, we wouldn't get as much for Guerrero or Lee as we might have if they were having really good years, but their decline isn't so extreme as to eliminate their reputation as valuable, experienced hitters.

Trade value isn't just based on how they are performing this year though. Sure, we wouldn't get as much for Guerrero or Lee as we might have if they were having really good years, but their decline isn't so extreme as to eliminate their reputation as valuable, experienced hitters.

I think I disagree with this. The fact that each of these guys ended up with the Orioles in the first place and basically had no other options shows that they were not held in high regard but other teams.

I think I disagree with this. The fact that each of these guys ended up with the Orioles in the first place and basically had no other options shows that they were not held in high regard but other teams.

Even if that's true, you're still only talking about Lee and Guerrero.

Archived