Trading Adam Jones

Scrat1

How are these guys trade chips? Other than Jones, not one hitter is playing well.

Vlad will definately be attractive to a contender for a stretch run. Hardy is playing well also and his numbers are solid.

Are you just not paying attention? Guts & Uehara are also trade chips from the list.

Scott would have to be on a serious tear and wanted by a team needing a DH.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if your so intent on trading a young OF you trade Nick because AJ is better...:eek: yea I said it and I 100000% believe it.

Nick is not tradeable with his $10 million plus salary each this year & next. Especially with his 4 extra base hits in 2 months. Basiucally he's a defensive singles hitter & way overpaid.

You do not trade your youngster stars, not if you desire a future of perpetual rebuilding. You trade your aging stars still in their prime because you are not winning next couple years. That is the position the O's are in. Their rotation is improving, but they need some super stars. Jones is looking more and more like he will become a player to carry a team. I would trade Markakis and eat some of his salary. He is a bust for the money he is getting. Guts can be traded, so can Scott, Lee, Reynolds, Vlad. Britton, Matusz, Arrietta, Jones, Weiters, Hardy are off limits. Reimold can play his more natural position of RF if Nick is moved. You might get a great return on a package of Nick + Guts, assuming the O's will eat some of Nick's considerable salary.

If we trade Adam Jones, he will be a perennial all-star somewhere else. I'd put every position player on the block except Jones, Markakis, Wieters, and Pie.

Lee, Reynolds, Scott, Guerrero....get whatever we can for them.

Why on earth would you make Pie untradeable?

If we trade Adam Jones, he will be a perennial all-star somewhere else. I'd put every position player on the block except Jones, Markakis, Wieters, and Pie.

Lee, Reynolds, Scott, Guerrero....get whatever we can for them.

Pie really? He is untouchable? WOW

You do not trade your youngster stars, not if you desire a future of perpetual rebuilding. You trade your aging stars still in their prime because you are not winning next couple years. That is the position the O's are in. Their rotation is improving, but they need some super stars. Jones is looking more and more like he will become a player to carry a team. I would trade Markakis and eat some of his salary. He is a bust for the money he is getting. Guts can be traded, so can Scott, Lee, Reynolds, Vlad. Britton, Matusz, Arrietta, Jones, Weiters, Hardy are off limits. Reimold can play his more natural position of RF if Nick is moved. You might get a great return on a package of Nick + Guts, assuming the O's will eat some of Nick's considerable salary.

All of this is true, but Nick isnt going anywhere.

Don't trade our future, trade Markakais

Buy low, sell high. Markakis wouldn't fetch anything right now, so why trade him? I predict that Nick and Adam have similar MLB careers. There's got to be something wrong physically with Markakis, he's too young to have such a steep decline in production for any other reason. If you can get a much better return for Jones than Markakis, it wouldn't make sense to still trade Nick. Markakis has proven in the past that he can be a very good player, and talent doesn't usually erode so quickly unless there's a physical reason. My guess is that Nick is hiding an injury, but Buck can't give him a day off because he needs regular playing time to bust out of a slump. I think that's why they gave him a look at 1B last night to give him a change of pace. It didn't help, but it wasn't a bad idea.

I do not want to trade Jones but the you also may have to look into it.

Remember, the Orioles wanted to extend Jones this past offseason and he essentially said, when I have better numbers and can demand more money, I will talk to you about it.

He has 2 years of service time left, so you still have time but if you go to Jones again about an extension and he still isn't interested or wants way too much money, then unfortunately you have to think about dealing him.

You can hope that you can convince him but again, what are you going to be willing to give him?

He has been incredibly inconsistent in his career. He isn't going to be a high OBP guy.

So, who is the real Adam Jones? And how much are you willing to risk that he has turned the corner for good?

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Blow it up. Trade Uehara, Guthrie, Hardy, Lee, Guerrero, and Johnson.

Scott has no value, so hang onto him for now. Then trade him.

I love Jones but as I argued in the OP, unless the O's give him a big time extension, he's probably not going to be a part of the next championship team. He's got value. Trade him.

Just get some god damn talent into the system.

Shoot for 2013-2014 while Markakis, Reimold, Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton are all still under control. Markakis and Reimold will still be in their prime, if about to leave it. Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton will be in the middle of their prime. Players we acquire from trades, such as Yonder Alonso and maybe Travis Wood, would just be entering their prime. And our next wave of young prospects, such as the Bundy Bros, Machado and Schoop, are hopefully either just breaking into the majors or already establishing themselves.

Will it work? I have no idea. But it's clearly not going to happen on our current path. The division is too tough. A Prince Fielder isn't going to save our team.

I think we had legitimate reason to be optimistic coming into this season. But just about everything has broke against us. Wieters, despite being a defensive guru, has failed to develop into the offensive pillar we expected. No one really expected Lee or Guerrero to hit at their career levels, or even close to their career levels. Most of us expected around a .800-.820 OPS from them, solid contributions from very, very good players in their twilight years. Certainly not unreasonable expectations. You may have thought Lee was done. Or Guerrero. But no poster on this board or analyst from anywhere could have rationally predicted both of these players would have a sub .700 OPS come July. Then there was Matusz' injury, which may be ongoing. And his loss of velocity. Then there was Markakais' Uber Slump. Then there was Scott's injury and ongoing offensive and defensive struggles. Then there was the bullpen churning out industrial strength suck for the first two-three months of the season. Then Reynolds forgot how to throw a baseball. Then Reimold struggled in AAA. Then Pie reverted from a useful role player with upside to a AA journeyman. And on and on.

The front office is an easy scapegoat here, and they do deserve some of the blame, but this year's atrocity goes well beyond that. Besides a very few bright spots - Britton, Jones, Uehara, Hardy - this team has underperformed on just about every single level. It's time to turn the page.

Archived