Trading Adam Jones

Scrat1

I think we could get a good return on guys like Guthrie, Hardy, Jones, Wieters, and Markakis. I think we could get a relatively good return for guys like Uehara and Jim Johnson. I think we would be lucky to get a low level prospect of 25 or 26 year old former prospect for guys like Guerrero and Lee. We like to say that Markakis is a guy with limited trade value, but I would imagine more teams would be interested than we think even with his current contract.

We should trade Guthrie this year IMO. The Orioles need so many players that dealing a veteran for a starter and two other potential parts makes sense. I would deal Guthrie for Alonso and Frazier or Alonso and Boxberger, but I am not throwing Hardy in the deal. I think Hardy ends up a coveted type-A FA. If we are going to sign him for 3-4 years then I say go a head and do so, but if it is a 2 year contract then let him walk for the picks or trade him if a good offer presents itself.

If you trade Adam Jones what do you get in return? He is our most likely All Star representative this year IMO and that would give him two in three years. If you get an All Star talent in return then you saved some salary, but you had better get more IMO. I do not think there is a team that would give up enough talent for the Orioles to consider giving up Jones, Markakis, Wieters or Britton.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While Im sure that virtually ANYONE is tradeable, I have to wonder about the wisdom of trading Guthrie unless you get a terrific deal with some great arms.Guthrie is the true veteran in the rotation, he will give you 200 plus innings assuming he stays healthy and usually pitches reasonably well. He is the anchor of the staff if not a true #1 ace.

This rotation needs some wisdom and leadership. No one else brings it to them like Guts.

Also, they have him realatively cheap and under control through next year, and thats when you truly have to evaluate his worth.

As for Hardy..the only way Id trade him is if he told Orioles management he absolutely wont be back next year.If he signs, he would be a great asset to this club.

This team needs a quality 1b and probably a 2b too..not to mention a new DH with a good baseball mind. I dont thinking trading Guthrie or Hardy will yield that anyway. Keep Guts and J.J. Hardy

If you keep Guts and Hardy then you have to go all in. Go get Fielder and cross your fingers. I personally don't think that's a very smart strategy.

But what we absolutely cannot afford to do is hang onto Guts for reasons like "veteran leadership" and other intangibles. I love Guts. He and Markakis practically are the Orioles. But it doesn't matter if he can anchor the staff or any of that other stuff if the rest of the players on the team suck. I'd love to keep Guts around but I'd much rather have a team that can actually play Major League quality baseball.

Bedard was a true number one, an anchor to the staff, a veteran. But the team around him sucked and so we traded him. Same situation here. Those quality first baseman and second baseman that you want, that we all want, aren't going to come from thin air. They're going to come from trading guys like Hardy and Guthrie.

If you trade Adam Jones what do you get in return? He is our most likely All Star representative this year IMO and that would give him two in three years. If you get an All Star talent in return then you saved some salary, but you had better get more IMO. I do not think there is a team that would give up enough talent for the Orioles to consider giving up Jones, Markakis, Wieters or Britton.

Jones, Markakis, Wieters and Britton can't be lumped in the same category. Markakis has very little value, so there's no point in trading him. Britton just got called up this year. Why would we try and trade him? Same situation with Wieters. There's absolutely no reason you would trade him. He's good, under control for a long time, and has massive upside. Jones, on the other hand, first broke into the majors in 2006 and will be a free agent in 2014. Jones is not at all like the others, especially Wieters and Britton.

The reason you would trade Jones is because he's probably not going to be a part of the Next Great Orioles team unless we extend him. Judging from how negotiations have gone so far, and the fact that the Orioles suck, I think Jones is going to test free agency unless the Orioles give him a very healthy extension. We're not going to get anything team friendly with Jones. Thus you trade him. Same principle applies with Guthrie.

Even though I think it's the right move, I seriously doubt the Orioles trade Jones. Even if MacPhail were inclined to, Showalter and Angelos are not going to sign off on a total rebuild. We're likely going to keep Guthrie and Jones, extend Hardy, maybe even do something idiotic like give Fielder a colossal contract, and then we'll have a few seasons in the high eighties win total, maybe even low nineties, and we won't win jack ****.

While Im sure that virtually ANYONE is tradeable, I have to wonder about the wisdom of trading Guthrie unless you get a terrific deal with some great arms.Guthrie is the true veteran in the rotation, he will give you 200 plus innings assuming he stays healthy and usually pitches reasonably well. He is the anchor of the staff if not a true #1 ace.

This rotation needs some wisdom and leadership. No one else brings it to them like Guts.

Also, they have him realatively cheap and under control through next year, and thats when you truly have to evaluate his worth.

As for Hardy..the only way Id trade him is if he told Orioles management he absolutely wont be back next year.If he signs, he would be a great asset to this club.

This team needs a quality 1b and probably a 2b too..not to mention a new DH with a good baseball mind. I dont thinking trading Guthrie or Hardy will yield that anyway. Keep Guts and J.J. Hardy

Of course you extend Hardy if you can, but if you can't you have to trade him. Guts is a difficult decision, because while you can probably get good value for him, trading him will pretty much shred what is left of an already decimated pitching staff, and the rest of the season will be a nightmare. However if you can get good value for him particularly more young SP, I think you have to bite the bullet. I feel the same about Jones. I think you could get on ML ready young arm and a good MiL SP prospect for him, and the Braves would be a good target.

I think we could get a good return on guys like Guthrie, Hardy, Jones, Wieters, and Markakis. I think we could get a relatively good return for guys like Uehara and Jim Johnson. I think we would be lucky to get a low level prospect of 25 or 26 year old former prospect for guys like Guerrero and Lee. We like to say that Markakis is a guy with limited trade value, but I would imagine more teams would be interested than we think even with his current contract.

We should trade Guthrie this year IMO. The Orioles need so many players that dealing a veteran for a starter and two other potential parts makes sense. I would deal Guthrie for Alonso and Frazier or Alonso and Boxberger, but I am not throwing Hardy in the deal. I think Hardy ends up a coveted type-A FA. If we are going to sign him for 3-4 years then I say go a head and do so, but if it is a 2 year contract then let him walk for the picks or trade him if a good offer presents itself.

Markakis would only have value to a team with the money to take on his contarct like Boston or NY. I can't see PA allowing that.

Of course you extend Hardy if you can, but if you can't you have to trade him. Guts is a difficult decision, because while you can probably get good value for him, trading him will pretty much shred what is left of an already decimated pitching staff, and the rest of the season will be a nightmare. However if you can get good value for him particularly more young SP, I think you have to bite the bullet. I feel the same about Jones. I think you could get on ML ready young arm and a good MiL SP prospect for him, and the Braves would be a good target.

For me a deal involving Jones would require both quality & quantity. I would need to get to very high ceiling prospects that are need positions for this team and the SPs you mention. Someone would be getting 3 years of control and would be in a excellent position to resign him.

I think if they are looking to make trade that could bring some talent back, they have to trade Matt Wieters. This would present a great chance to capitalize on the hype that he had coming into his ML career.

I am not saying this because Wieters right now is not the offensive player we had hoped for, I am saying it because it could net several really decent players back from a contending team.

Imagine if Boston was not in the same division. What do you think they would be willing to give up? I would imagine they would give up quite a bit.

Of course any player on this team should be available, but Matt Weiters would bring back the most value. IMO.

For me a deal involving Jones would require both quality & quantity. I would need to get to very high ceiling prospects that are need positions for this team and the SPs you mention. Someone would be getting 3 years of control and would be in a excellent position to resign him.
Jones is way over rated here.

Sure would have liked that Eric Hosmer hypothetical that was proposed earlier in the year.
Too late for that now. What about Gordon, a MiL SP and Kila/Butler? Jones is already a bit expensive for KC, but who knows?

LOL. If you could get Billy Butler alone for Jones you do it instantly. If they throw in Alex Gordon and a Mil starter? I will personally drive the bus.

While Jones' value may generally be a little inflated on this board, Butler is criminally overrated by many.

LOL. If you could get Billy Butler alone for Jones you do it instantly. If they throw in Alex Gordon and a Mil starter? I will personally drive the bus.
I know but there are some here who wouldn't feel that's enough. Butler is a DH type, so I would want more than just him. But Butler and A top MiL SP would be fair. Or Gordon, and a MiL SP, and maybe Kila.

These threads are just more proof that Angelos has won. He has beaten down the fanbase to complete hopelessness and into a "small market" mentality in a division of giants.

"Tampa Bay Tampa Bay!! Look at them!!" Save it. They are the exception not the rule. Period.

Instead of "we need to lock player X up-long term, it is "let's trade player x to get some (cheap) prospects who might work out, because we know deep down we will never shell out the cash for a difference maker free agent.

In 2007 we were hoping to compete in 2009. In 2009 it went to 2011. Now in 2011 it is 2013 or 2014. See a pattern here folks???? Is this what we have become?

It has gotten to a point where we want to trade our best player, instead of locking him up long term and keeping him as a centerpiece to build around. Same with Guthrie, our best and most reliable pitcher.....trade him! Would the Yankees trade that type of guy? Would the Red Sox? Hell no they would have locked them up to a fair market deal, a month ago. They want to win while our owner wants to spend as little as possible, hoodwink the fanbase every year with a bunch of bs signings and claim otherwise through his little puppet McPhail.

So again Angelos has won, and the fanbase loses. I bet he is sitting back in his $5000 office chair with a big smile on his face reading these threads. Actually he probably isn't the one reading, he just paid some 85 year old who can just barely still read, takes twice as long but is working for almost nothing on a 1 year contract.

These threads are just more proof that Angelos has won. He has beaten down the fanbase to complete hopelessness and into a "small market" mentality in a division of giants.

"Tampa Bay Tampa Bay!! Look at them!!" Save it. They are the exception not the rule. Period.

Instead of "we need to lock player X up-long term, it is "let's trade player x to get some (cheap) prospects who might work out, because we know deep down we will never shell out the cash for a difference maker free agent.

In 2007 we were hoping to compete in 2009. In 2009 it went to 2011. Now in 2011 it is 2013 or 2014. See a pattern here folks???? Is this what we have become?

It has gotten to a point where we want to trade our best player, instead of locking him up long term and keeping him as a centerpiece to build around. Same with Guthrie, our best and most reliable pitcher.....trade him! Would the Yankees trade that type of guy? Would the Red Sox? Hell no they would have locked them up to a fair market deal, a month ago. They want to win while our owner wants to spend as little as possible, hoodwink the fanbase every year with a bunch of bs signings and claim otherwise through his little puppet McPhail.

So again Angelos has won, and the fanbase loses. I bet he is sitting back in his $5000 office chair with a big smile on his face reading these threads. Actually he probably isn't the one reading, he just paid some 85 year old who can just barely still read, takes twice as long but is working for almost nothing on a 1 year contract.

The problem is that the Orioles need too many pieces. They won't sign the top available players ....so the best chance we have is trading our players that have the most value. Trading guysj like Vlad and Lee will get you very little.

Archived