GM meetings a success per AM

Belkast

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to know some of the things that went on during these meetings. Since I'm not too sure what it means to "bat .1000" in a meeting style setting. If Mcphail says the team is doing what it needs to do, then I have to trust him. Let's hope this is a good offseason.

It sounds like alot of interest was expressed about our players. I have a call into my guy to try and get some more info. Hopefully I can relay everything to you guys later tonite.

Unfortunately so far it doesn't sound like that interest is in the players we most want teams to show interest in, with the possible exception of Bedard. Oh well. Hopefully your guy has some good news.

I get the feeling with MacPhail that we finally have the "Boss". The guy keeps his cards pretty close to the vest and seems to have a great understanding of how an Organisation should be run. It is in his DNA. If we can keep him for three years or more I am sure our minor leagues will be vastly better.

I think he is approaching the trades with the angle that we don't have to let any of them go. We want to trade lots of them but unlike 2000 this isn't a salary dump. We are going to try to extort the very, very best talent for our guys or we will keep them till another time and trade them later.

For a guy who's usually reserved about his dealings to say "We batted a thousand. You don't often bat a thousand in baseball, but we did. We did what we were here to do. We tried to get a little further in what may or may not be possible with different clubs. In that regard, we were really pleased with the outcome of the meetings", seems pretty awesome to me. I have full faith in McPhail. If we just have patience and give him a little time, I think that he can make a world of difference with this team.

Yeah, I agree, he's a smart guy who knows how to play this game... personally, I don't think he'd trade Tejada or Markakis to the Yankees, but, as long as everyone thinks he would, that keeps the pressure on everyone else. He's the right guy for this job.

Archived