GM meetings a success per AM

Belkast

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man thats very well said.

Thanks

It's clearly obvious from what I'm reading and hearing that we're not a joke of a franchise anymore. AM provides the legitimacy that we never had. A lot of teams avoided us in trade talks because they knew it would go no where. That won't happen anymore unless of course PA steps on AM's toes.

Since MacPhail has:

-made it a priority to revamp our minor league system in order to produce long term franchise health

-have a singular philosophy and institute it at all levels

-improve communications between levels

-invest in better facilities outside of the US

-potentially bring an influx of talent through trading Tejada/Bedard

Can we start calling our farm system the "Pharm system?" Or the "MacPharm system" if that title tickles your fancy? Ph's make everything cooler.

Your thoughts?

Since MacPhail has:

-made it a priority to revamp our minor league system in order to produce long term franchise health

-have a singular philosophy and institute it at all levels

-improve communications between levels

-invest in better facilities outside of the US

-potentially bring an influx of talent through trading Tejada/Bedard

Can we start calling our farm system the "Pharm system?" Or the "MacPharm system" if that title tickles your fancy? Ph's make everything cooler.

Your thoughts?

I agree. Although that might be because my last name is Phelan (Fail-in)...

Which is why we need to see some results before we start saying how much has been accomplished.

I agree, as much as I want to believe I just can't buy-in to this thing until there is sufficient evidence that great things are being accomplished. Every year it's the same thing and i'm sick of getting myself up for the let down. I understand that this approach is the key to a lot of people's sanity, but to me it's just as bad to have false expectations based on pure speculation that just so happens to "make sense". Just because of our perception of what's going on makes sense doesn't assure that it will result in the success that everyone almost assumes when they form these opinions. Everyone was crazy about Duquette and you see where that got us. Let's just wait and see, and keep our fingers crossed.

Well, I'm glad MacPhail feels that the meetings went very well. I am partially with RZNJ here, i.e., I will judge this based on end results, not encouraging words. But I'm cautiously optimistic that MacPhail will have a productive offseason. He seems to have a plan and to have the patience and guile to do the job. Time will tell.

Beautifully said, but can we wait until some major decisions need to be made and see just how clear the decision making really is before we pile on all of these accolades?

I completely understand where you are coming from. Who wouldn't be skeptical of a person who's coming into an organization that has literally been dreadful the past 10 years. A "successful" offseason was often one in which Omaar Daal or Marty Cordova was signed. I see what you mean in getting him to do certain things before we call him the man. However, with that being said, I think you're being incredibly short sighted in that regard, too. To me, the single BIGGEST thing this team needs a new scouting department. That's not something you'll see on a hot stove sheet, or a free agent list. It's something that goes deeper. It lasts longer, and its the only way that the Orioles can completely control their own destiny. The Orioles can offer 50 million for a player who's asking for 45, and they can still not get him. The Orioles farm system is a gem that can't be outbid for, and you can never have enough. That to me is the biggest thing to accomplish. And with the hiring of Mcphail, the hiring of Graham, and the ridding of unnecessary weight in the front office... the Orioles are well on their way.

While avoiding using the word rebuilding to describe the Orioles' current state, MacPhail has made it clear that the club is looking to trade several veterans and to get younger and cheaper, while putting an intense focus on scouting and player development.
"I've made it clear we're looking for young, talented, major league-ready or close to major league-ready players," MacPhail said.

Thank goodness.

Anyway, RZNJ, MacPhail had the Cubs closer to the WS in the past decade than the O's ever were.

Say what you will, but I'm glad he's here.

Until I can click on our roster and no longer see the names: Gibbons & Payton... NOTHING has been accomplished!

Nada. Zip. Zero.

Talking is nice, but unless AM convinces PA to sell to CR, I fear we'll still be stuck with BS.

Your thoughts?

Old MacPhail had a farm, ee-i-ee-i-o

Annd on his farm he had some pitchers, ee-i-ee-i-o

With a Loewen here, and a McCrory there

Here a Spoone, there a Penn, everywhere there's pitchers

Old MacPhail had a farm, ee-i-ee-i-o

Was MacPhail in charge when they traded Dontrelle Willis to Fla?

Baseball-reference.com has Willis being traded on 3/27/2002. The wiki on Andy MacPhail has him as Chicago GM from 2000-2001, (though he stayed with the Cubs as President and CEO through 2006). How much say he had in the trade - I have no idea.

Archived