GM meetings a success per AM

Belkast

I am still trying to figure out why AM was so excited and said "We batted a 1000 at these meetings" :confused:

Let me just say....If Flanny said that last year ...he would have been busted on here all day long.

Also why did he say we need to get younger and cheaper ? All I heard about the last few years was "Wait until we get the MASN money,we will be able to compete with the big boys. :confused:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also why did he say we need to get younger and cheaper ? All I heard about the last few years was "Wait until we get the MASN money,we will be able to compete with the big boys. :confused:
All (or most) of our MASN money is currently tied up in abject failures like Huff, Baez, Payton, Mora, and Gibbons. We need to clean slate befor being able to build an actual good team. We could wait the 2 more years until all these guys are gone, or trade them off and restart now, getting back more talent in the process.

I certainly like the second idea better.

All (or most) of our MASN money is currently tied up in abject failures like Huff, Baez, Payton, Mora, and Gibbons. We need to clean slate befor being able to build an actual good team. We could wait the 2 more years until all these guys are gone, or trade them off and restart now, getting back more talent in the process.

I certainly like the second idea better.

Nobody is going to take Gibbons or Baez off our payroll !

Payton is pathetic but he only makes a few million.That certainly can't hold us back from signing an impact Free-Agent.

Huff I wouldn't mind keeping. He would be a decent "part" of a puzzle.He is not a major part however. Add 1 or 2 good hitters and bat him 7th.

The thing people are missing with the MASN money is....we should now be able to afford a few mistakes! Before,if a guy didn't work out..we were stuck. Now,we should be able to absorb the money hit AND Still UPGRADE our team.

Nobody is going to take Gibbons or Baez off our payroll !

Payton is pathetic but he only makes a few million.That certainly can't hold us back from signing an impact Free-Agent.

Huff I wouldn't mind keeping. He would be a decent "part" of a puzzle.He is not a major part however. Add 1 or 2 good hitters and bat him 7th.

The thing people are missing with the MASN money is....we should now be able to afford a few mistakes! Before,if a guy didn't work out..we were stuck. Now,we should be able to absorb the money hit AND Still UPGRADE our team.

The problem is we currently have no core. Our only impact players are Bedard, Markakis, Roberts, and Tejada. There is no conceivable way we can add FAs and compete in '08, and '09 is only a slight possibility. After that, 3/4 of our impact players will be gone.

We simply have, to quote Aubrey Huff, a horse**** team. And not only is it a horse**** team, but its an old and expensive one.

It was incredibly poorly constructed and has to be destroyed. Theres no amount of make up and band-aids that can fix this monstrosity.

A few random thoughts:

Younger and cheaper generally go hand in hand...

I interpret "batting 1.000" to mean they did everything they wanted to do at these meetings...

I'll truly believe this franchise has turned the corner when quotes like "dealing with the Orioles was 180 degrees opposite what it used to be...they were quick, responsive and efficient" start popping up in the press...

I'm placing my trust in MacPhail/Trembley. What other choice do I have?

Our payroll is not the problem, $95million, 10th highest. People thinking MASN money should be spent to upgrade is misplaced when you have as many gaping holes as we have.

We need to rebuild then use the flexiblity to add parts.

Adding to what we have now will get you nowhere.

On that subject the Nats new stadium will help us with our MASN revs and according to my research we are only the 4th team with its own network. Give it time to turn a profit, there was a lot of costs in launching the network year 1.

Hopefully the Nats will sign some big FA to launch there new stadium and attract more viewers.

Was MacPhail in charge when they traded Dontrelle Willis to Fla?

I'm not sure what you're implying here, but that was a very solid trade for the Cubs.

At the time of that trade, Dontrelle Willis was the baseball equivalent of a lottery ticket -- a 19 YO lefty with a year of short-season ball under his belt, a funky delivery, and durability concerns. He was actually the third or fourth piece in that deal.

The Marlins were fortunate enough to beat some long odds and win the lottery. Bravo for them.

A few random thoughts:

Younger and cheaper generally go hand in hand...

I interpret "batting 1.000" to mean they did everything they wanted to do at these meetings...

I still no reason why we can't spend money and sign a "young" Andrew Jones.

As for the 2nd comment. Wouldn't Every GM say they did everything they wanted to at the meetings? I have never heard a GM say " We had a good time at the meetings. There were several people I wanted to talk to but couldn't find the time. My point is simple. If Flanny would have said that... he would be getting shelled today. Can anyone actually disagree with that statement?

Beautifully said, but can we wait until some major decisions need to be made and see just how clear the decision making really is before we pile on all of these accolades?

Amen. I'm a big fan of the McPhail hiring, and being optimistic is fine, but until there are tangible positive effects, I'm uncomfortable reading verbal pats on the collective O's front office behind.

I still no reason why we can't spend money and sign a "young" Andrew Jones.
Because signing Andruw Jones is a terrible risk. Even if he's good for the next 2 seasons, what does that really do for us? nothing at all, as we have no hope of winning over those years.

Beyond that, he's going to start declining heavily (if he hasn't already). Maybe he'll be solid in the 3rd year, and maybe we'll also be a good team. But he's not likely at all to be a star level player in years 4-6.

The problem with Andruw Jones is that his "talent arch" is in direct opposition to the team's "competition arch". Jones will peak over his next contract at a time when the team will be struggling, and the team will peak at a time when Jones will be struggling.

He's simply a terrible option given the state and direction of this team.

Because signing Andruw Jones is a terrible risk. Even if he's good for the next 2 seasons, what does that really do for us? nothing at all, as we have no hope of winning over those years.

Beyond that, he's going to start declining heavily (if he hasn't already). Maybe he'll be solid in the 3rd year, and maybe we'll also be a good team. But he's not likely at all to be a star level player in years 4-6.

The problem with Andruw Jones is that his "talent arch" is in direct opposition to the team's "competition arch". Jones will peak over his next contract at a time when the team will be struggling, and the team will peak at a time when Jones will be struggling.

He's simply a terrible option given the state and direction of this team.

This is where I disagree 100% . How can you be a Orioles fan and think to yourself we have No Hope for the next 2 years??? That isn't acceptable to me as a fan. The Tigers were as bad as us and they signed a few key free-agents AND went young. Look where it got them.

This is where I disagree 100% . How can you be a Orioles fan and think to yourself we have No Hope for the next 2 years??? That isn't acceptable to me as a fan. The Tigers were as bad as us and they signed a few key free-agents AND went young. Look where it got them.

It is called being realistic.

This is where I disagree 100% . How can you be a Orioles fan and think to yourself we have No Hope for the next 2 years. The Tigers were as bad as us and tey signed a few key free-agents AND went young. Look where it got them.
The Tigers had a lot more already ready young talent. They won because of the pieces they already had in place, not the FAs they signed.

I could see us having a chance in 2009 if our young pitching develops, but we have no hope in 2008.

Trying to compete the next two years is an absolute death sentence for this franchise and will lead, at a minimum, to another 5 years of losing. Its an absolutely horrible idea that has no chance for success, IMO. Rebuilding is the only way to build a winner here. We've gotta get payroll flexibility by ditching as many big contracts as we can and get back as much young talent as possible in return for players who won't be here beyond 2009 (0% chance Tejada, Roberts, and Bedard are Orioles in 2010, IMO).

Guest rbrhett
I'm not sure what you're implying here, but that was a very solid trade for the Cubs.

At the time of that trade, Dontrelle Willis was the baseball equivalent of a lottery ticket -- a 19 YO lefty with a year of short-season ball under his belt, a funky delivery, and durability concerns. He was actually the third or fourth piece in that deal.

The Marlins were fortunate enough to beat some long odds and win the lottery. Bravo for them.

Essentially, the trade has now been reduced to Willis and Tavarez for Alfonseca and Clement. The other two guys in the deal never panned out. Willis is now the best of the bunch, but the Cubs acquired two good players (2002-2003) for one good prospect and a washed up reliever. I think the Cubs actually got the better end of the deal at the time.

Archived