Hultzen or Bauer?

Hultzen or Bauer?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Hultzen or Bauer?

• Hultzen
    • Bauer

This poll is closed to new votes

Wouldn't Starling be a rabbit?

No. He's a pretty prototypical greyhound. Rabbit would be like Pedroia or Lincecum out of college. Someone whose characteristics would not fit into the stereotype for his position, but he excels due to other factors (Lincey, flexibility, athleticism and arm strength; Pedroia bat speed and hand/eye coordination).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. He's a pretty prototypical greyhound. Rabbit would be like Pedroia or Lincecum out of college. Someone whose characteristics would not fit into the stereotype for his position, but he excels due to other factors (Lincey, flexibility, athleticism and arm strength; Pedroia bat speed and hand/eye coordination).

You know what, I got completely confused with the greyhound/rabbit analogy. I was actually thinking tortoise and the hair hah.

Me too. I was so confused that I almost pulled all of the hare out of my head.

Greyhound breaders look for the best looking greyhounds, based on industry standards. Usually if a dog doesn't have those characteristics they are less valuable than the dogs that do have those characteristics.

Same go for prospects. Except, there are those rare occasions where a prospect not only succeeds but thrives with very different characteristics. That is, he's a completely different animal altogether.

We use "rabbit" because that's what the greyhounds chase around the track. The prospect would be someone that looks completely different than the "greyhounds" but actually ends up the the frontrunner of the group.

Here's my order of preference, assuming Rendon and Cole are off the board:

Bundy/Hultzen/Bauer

My preference is Bundy Bauer then Hultzen .... But I still they should taken Rendon if available or Starling if he's not this team need bats and both of they. Guys are potential power guys.

Hey Stotle, (or anyone else), do you have a feel for the mental/emotional makeup of the pitchers we're debating or is that something you largely get from personal interviews etc?

The article I read on Bauer said he has a mean streak and gave methe impression he likes to play cat & mouse with hitters.

The article I read on Bauer said he has a mean streak and gave methe impression he likes to play cat & mouse with hitters.

That's the impression I get too, but in fairness it's not first hand. I've never talked to him so I can't tell you for sure, I wish he wasn't so obsessed with the strikeout though.

Just curious Why Hultzen???

1. Command, command, command. His WHIP and walk numbers are pretty great. His BB/9 sits around 1

2. Good K/9

3. Beautiful, repeatable mechanics

Hultzen, to me, is a fast-track to the majors guy. I think he could contribute on the big league club in 2012...not much more development has to happen with this guy. Just get him some acclimation innings, and bring him up.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profile.asp?P=Danny-Hultzen

(No 2011 numbers on here, but you get the idea)

Hey Stotle, (or anyone else), do you have a feel for the mental/emotional makeup of the pitchers we're debating or is that something you largely get from personal interviews etc?

Yeah -- you can tell a lot from up close observation. More difficult in video. What you hear in the dugout, pre/post game more important than a facial expression on the mound (though mound demeanor can ceratinly be telling).

Archived