Orioles' 2011 Draftees Signing Tracker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anybody know if other teams have signed as less as the O's? Just seems really a lot less than in the last years...

I heard a Jordan quote that since we disbanded Bluefield that we should expect a lot less kids being signed. So a lot of this is on the Orioles.

I heard a Jordan quote that since we disbanded Bluefield that we should expect a lot less kids being signed. So a lot of this is on the Orioles.

This is true, and I think the number being tossed around is a goal of signing 20-25 draftees. However, only having signed three hitters at this point is a bit perplexing.

Probably not significantly more. The difference is that there will be fewer late round guys who wouldn't have gotten much of a bonus anyway. Tyler Wilson, the O's 10th round pick, got just $20,000.

And it does seem quieter than last year, but looking back the O's signed just three players in the month of July, and had nearly a month-long gap between signing Matt Drummond and Blair Dunlap on 7/7 and Connor Narron and Parker Bridwell on 8/4.

I looked last night thorough every teams signed list of draftees and we had the fewest surprisingly just below the Red Sox and Yankees. Once the trade deadline is done my guess is it will free up money to sign the next batch of players with the salary saved from the trades. It is penny pinching like this that makes this organization ineffective. The dates above last year between signings (7/7 to 8/4) were not a coincidence. McPhail stated as such a few years ago when he traded Bradford to dump salary that he uses the savings to sign draft picks. The trend has been the same ever since he took over. We are doomed.

Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game says the O's have signed Patrick Reyes, 46th round draft pick.

Jordan mentioned him I believe when I talked to him awhile back. If I remember correctly, he liked him, but thought he would be a tough sign. It will be interesting to see how much over slot he got.

According to this article, Reyes will in fact not be signing with the Orioles:

Arkansas signee Mark Reyes will not sign with the Baltimore Orioles, he said Monday.

Reyes, a left-handed pitcher taken by the franchise in the 46th round of the June draft, was reported to have signed with the club Monday morning, but said that was untrue.

“The only time I talked to the Orioles was the day I got drafted,” Reyes said. “I pretty much said then that I’m going to Arkansas. That’s the only time I talked to them.

http://blogs.nwaonline.com/slophouse/2011/08/01/reyes-wont-sign-with-orioles/

Why did the O's even bother drafting Reyes. If they signed the 10th round guy for $20,000, maybe they offered this guy $500 and an authentic Orioles jersey.

Maybe the O's should have just skipped the last 20 rounds of the draft. This is embarrassing but not unexpected from this organization.

Why did the O's even bother drafting Reyes. If they signed the 10th round guy for $20,000, maybe they offered this guy $500 and an authentic Orioles jersey.

Maybe the O's should have just skipped the last 20 rounds of the draft. This is embarrassing but not unexpected from this organization.

Do some research, find out what the success rates are for each round. The chances of a 46th round pick making it to the big leagues much less making an impact. Are really slim.

I'm going to assume you don't know much about the draft so let me see if I can help you out a bit. A breakdown of the draft:

Rounds 1-10 are guys teams feel are major league prospects

Rounds 11-20 usually college guys, occasionally a high school guy who have some abilities but also some holes. The high school kids in this area may not be "college types" so they may sign cheaply. An occasional high school overslot guy who they think could be persuaded with the right offer.

Rounds 21-30 - Minor League depth guys, usually college guys

Rounds 31-50 - Senior sign depth guys, overslot high school kids (see Reyes) who are most likely going to college but you draft them with the vague hope they have a change of heart, high school follows through the summer (See Reyes)

In my opinion the draft should be 30 rounds. After 30, the scouting directors don't always even make the picks. They sometimes give a round to a local scout and let them take one of their guys.

Archived