O's to take Archie Bradley? Nope, Dylan Bundy!

It doesn't if you are the only team that values Hobgood as a top-12 pick and you want to draft him at 5 then go right a head. You had better be correct with the pick though. Drafting in the top-5 every year is supposed to benefit the club, but signability should be the least of the Orioles concern during protected drafts. I do not have enough faith in the front office to pick the right player, couple that with signability concerns and we have a formula for destruction.

Look at the farm system, at some point the Orioles might want to try taking one of the top-4 players available. Do you not agree that Cole, Rendon, Bundy, Hultzen or Starling would be better selections then Bradley? We hadn't really heard Bradley's name tied to the Orioles or anyone drafting before the Orioles the entire year, but the day of the draft we start hearing that we could be in on him. How can signability not be the focal point. It amazes me how the Orioles continue to not pick a philosophy in terms of how to build a team. We seem to be stuck in the middle once again.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jordan and his assistants are paid to evaluate amateur talent, are they not? If so, they are scouts.

No, they are paid to run the scouting department. I don't know why you are trying to play semantics games over something with seemingly no point, but I explained the breakdown of a scouting department for you already.

The Orioles lack of long term vision is incredible. If the player hits, you have him cheap for 6 years...who cares if he costs too much money to begin with?

Agreed. And in all honesty, this might be the only way to make up ground in the AL East. I'm fully aware that I'm not spending MY money, but for teams like us why such a hard cap on draft spending? Especially in the AL East, I'd be outspending the other teams substantially to try to close the gap as quickly as possible instead of overspending on ML'ers that are well past their prime. Just my opinion.

No, they are paid to run the scouting department. I don't know why you are trying to play semantics games over something with seemingly no point, but I explained the breakdown of a scouting department for you already.

I am aware of the breakdown of the scouting department. You're playing the semantics game just as much as I am. Jordan and assistants are absolutely scouts. They evaluate amateur players. You make them out to be glorified secretaries.

Figures the Orioles would consider something that would absolutely ruin draft day for me. If they select Bradley over whoever is left of Cole/Rendon/Bundy/Hultzen, Gray, Jungmann, Starling, Jed Bradley, or even Bauer and Daniel Norris, they need to clean house and bring in someone new once MacPhail's contract expires that will replace the entire front office with new scouting and development guys.

Passing up so many high upside high floor guys and reaching for arguably the 3rd best prep arm in this class (who isn't even going to come that cheap) is inexcusable. If you want to save money, take Gray or Jungmann, who both have very high floors and high ceilings.

Screwing up in a draft with so much talent up top might be enough to kill my interest for the rest of this season.

First, you know Jordan has seen both Bradley and Bundy a lot. I'll assume more than anybody here and probably more than any of the scouting talking heads like Law,etc. I truely believe if he takes Bradley over Bundy that he believes he's as good or they are close enough that the asking price difference isn't worth going for Bundy. Especially, consider he has had negotiations with the Bundy family and Bobby is already in the system. That's important to remember. Bradley is a concensus top 10 player. I don't consider taking a concensus top 10 player at #4 a reach. And with regards to some of the college pitchers ranked in the same range Jungmann,Gray, Bauer. I am somewhat suprised that they would choose the HS player over the college pitcher but it's also hard for me to believe that they're asking prices are that much higher than Bradley's who has more leverage as a HS arm. If they really take Bradley over those guys I do believe it would be because Jordan has him ranked higher. The only guys who we could conceivably pass on because of asking price is Bundy, Hultzen, Rendon, and Cole.
I think this is the best post in the thread.

No offense here, but Jordan hasn't exactly impressed when taking the guys he's claimed to value higher over players that the general consensus says are better.

Agreed. And in all honesty, this might be the only way to make up ground in the AL East. I'm fully aware that I'm not spending MY money, but for teams like us why such a hard cap on draft spending? Especially in the AL East, I'd be outspending the other teams substantially to try to close the gap as quickly as possible instead of overspending on ML'ers that are well past their prime. Just my opinion.

Because this team isn't smart.

They choose to put more value on the ML product, while ignoring the MiL aspect of things...and they do this, while sitting there and saying how important it is to develop our own talent and be like TB.

They say one thing and do the complete opposite.

The Orioles feel it is more valuable to spend on retreads for the ML team..that is apparent....It is proven.

In particular you are referring to Hobgood. I wasn't a fan of that selection, but as we have yet to see a healthy Hobgood - I don't think that illustrates much.

Taking a player 4th that the 'general consensus' ranks 10th in an MLB Draft is not a reach. As ccbird illustrated, Bradley has more leverage than some of the college guys, particularly with football also an option. So if the O's take him, you can't even claim signability.

Bradley would not be my choice, but if the selection is made... clearly the O's valued him above the available College arms. I'd have a hard time crushing the O's for taking the guy that they ranked best.... I would disagree with the logic of taking him though.

Yes you can...you can claim it vs the other guys they are reportedly in on...Hultzen and Bundy.

Bradley is likely to get less money than those 2.

The Orioles haven't been linked to Gray or Jungmann...If they were, then I would agree with CC's assessment on signability....But who they are linked to are 2 pitchers who have very high demands. My bet is Bradley will be the easiest/cheapest sign of the 3.

I wanted to wait until the rumors got digested before weighing in on this.

I found out a week ago that Archie Bradley was on BAL's list of serious considers. Didn't think much of it at the time but considered him a dark horse. Over the last few days, it's become evident that Hultzen is asking for the moon. He is coveted by both Arizona and Baltimore, but not for big time money. It makes sense, if you like Hultzen for his safety and not his upside, is it wise to spend big bucks to sign him?

With news of Hultzen's asking price, Arizona broadened its horizons and is considering both Trevor Bauer and Dylan Bundy. This is bad news for BAL, because from what I know Bundy was their guy. He's also asking a ton, but his ceiling justifies what you might give up. With the very real possibility that Bundy goes 1:3 to ARI, BAL needs serious backup plans. They have been doing their homework, and contacted their number 2 HS P, Archie Bradley, to feel his camp out. They did this out of due diligence in case Bundy is gone and also to get a ballpark figure to bounce back off Bundy's camp. I think the nat'l media has really run with this story. Just because they've discussed some things with Archie Bradley does not mean he is the favorite for BAL's pick.

I do think he is a serious consider, and I do think that IF Cole, Rendon and Bundy are off the board, Archie Bradley becomes a very possible candidate along with one or two others. But, I still think the chances of BAL selecting Bradley at this point are <50%.

I will be surprised and a little upset if JJ can pick between Bundy and Bradley and he selects Bradley. I have it on pretty good authority that Bundy is their #1 HS P.

I wanted to wait until the rumors got digested before weighing in on this.

I found out a week ago that Archie Bradley was on BAL's list of serious considers. Didn't think much of it at the time but considered him a dark horse. Over the last few days, it's become evident that Hultzen is asking for the moon. He is coveted by both Arizona and Baltimore, but not for big time money. It makes sense, if you like Hultzen for his safety and not his upside, is it wise to spend big bucks to sign him?

With news of Hultzen's asking price, Arizona broadened its horizons and is considering both Trevor Bauer and Dylan Bundy. This is bad news for BAL, because from what I know Bundy was their guy. He's also asking a ton, but his ceiling justifies what you might give up. With the very real possibility that Bundy goes 1:3 to ARI, BAL needs serious backup plans. They have been doing their homework, and contacted their number 2 HS P, Archie Bradley, to feel his camp out. They did this out of due diligence in case Bundy is gone and also to get a ballpark figure to bounce back off Bundy's camp. I think the nat'l media has really run with this story. Just because they've discussed some things with Archie Bradley does not mean he is the favorite for BAL's pick.

I do think he is a serious consider, and I do think that IF Cole, Rendon and Bundy are off the board, Archie Bradley becomes a very possible candidate along with one or two others. But, I still think the chances of BAL selecting Bradley at this point are <50%.

I will be surprised and a little upset if JJ can pick between Bundy and Bradley and he selects Bradley. I have it on pretty good authority that Bundy is their #1 HS P.

Thanks for the info.

Why is it that a guy like Jungmann isn't really connected with the Orioles? Have you heard anything with regards to that?

Also, do you think they take Rendon if he is there, based on what you have heard?

Yes you can...you can claim it vs the other guys they are reportedly in on...Hultzen and Bundy.

Bradley is likely to get less money than those 2.

The Orioles haven't been linked to Gray or Jungmann...If they were, then I would agree with CC's assessment on signability....But who they are linked to are 2 pitchers who have very high demands. My bet is Bradley will be the easiest/cheapest sign of the 3.

They better be right, because they are definitely running out of the ability of getting the benefit of the doubt.

I am kind of shocked that we are passing on Hultzen. Seems like Buck would demand a guy like that. Polished pitcher that could be up in a year or two.

Not a bad thing if they rated Bradley, Bundy, and Hultzen in the same range and it came down to dollars then. I will be pissed if they draft a "safe" RP in the 2nd round and beyond.

They better not skimp on the draft because the whining from the Vlad signing will increase.

Thanks for the info.

Why is it that a guy like Jungmann isn't really connected with the Orioles? Have you heard anything with regards to that?

Also, do you think they take Rendon if he is there, based on what you have heard?

Re: Jungmann, I have no idea, except that the Orioles are not alone. Jungmann hasn't gotten much national love this season.

Re: Rendon, yes, I think they will take him if he's there, as long as there are no red flags in the medicals.

Thanks for the info.

SG, is Jungmann going to be your Grant Green of this year? Not going to let this guy go?

If they pass on Rendon if by a miracle he is there, I will be pissed.

Nothing wrong about the O's doing their due diligence with Bradley. There better be a bigger difference in signing than with Hobgood ($2.6) and Matzek ($3.4) though. If Bradley signs for $4.5 and Bundy signs for $6.5 plus I will somewhat understand. Not going to be great, but it is defensible.

Archived