O's to take Archie Bradley? Nope, Dylan Bundy!

SG, is Jungmann going to be your Grant Green of this year? Not going to let this guy go?

If they pass on Rendon if by a miracle he is there, I will be pissed.

Nothing wrong about the O's doing their due diligence with Bradley. There better be a bigger difference in signing than with Hobgood ($2.6) and Matzek ($3.4) though. If Bradley signs for $4.5 and Bundy signs for $6.5 plus I will somewhat understand. Not going to be great, but it is defensible.

LOL...I just personally like Jungmann as a safe, high ceiling, college arm who should be up soon.

I personally like the reports on him more than the other college guys outside of Cole.

But there are several guys that they could take instead of him where I would say that it was a good pick and would be happy about it.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to wait until the rumors got digested before weighing in on this.

I found out a week ago that Archie Bradley was on BAL's list of serious considers. Didn't think much of it at the time but considered him a dark horse. Over the last few days, it's become evident that Hultzen is asking for the moon. He is coveted by both Arizona and Baltimore, but not for big time money. It makes sense, if you like Hultzen for his safety and not his upside, is it wise to spend big bucks to sign him?

With news of Hultzen's asking price, Arizona broadened its horizons and is considering both Trevor Bauer and Dylan Bundy. This is bad news for BAL, because from what I know Bundy was their guy. He's also asking a ton, but his ceiling justifies what you might give up. With the very real possibility that Bundy goes 1:3 to ARI, BAL needs serious backup plans. They have been doing their homework, and contacted their number 2 HS P, Archie Bradley, to feel his camp out. They did this out of due diligence in case Bundy is gone and also to get a ballpark figure to bounce back off Bundy's camp. I think the nat'l media has really run with this story. Just because they've discussed some things with Archie Bradley does not mean he is the favorite for BAL's pick.

I do think he is a serious consider, and I do think that IF Cole, Rendon and Bundy are off the board, Archie Bradley becomes a very possible candidate along with one or two others. But, I still think the chances of BAL selecting Bradley at this point are <50%.

I will be surprised and a little upset if JJ can pick between Bundy and Bradley and he selects Bradley. I have it on pretty good authority that Bundy is their #1 HS P.

Great info. Do you think that if they take Bradley b/c of lower price, they'll be spending alot more than they would have later in the draft? Do you think this is a wise move?

In particular you are referring to Hobgood. I wasn't a fan of that selection, but as we have yet to see a healthy Hobgood - I don't think that illustrates much.

Taking a player 4th that the 'general consensus' ranks 10th in an MLB Draft is not a reach. As ccbird illustrated, Bradley has more leverage than some of the college guys, particularly with football also an option. So if the O's take him, you can't even claim signability.

Bradley would not be my choice, but if the selection is made... clearly the O's valued him above the available College arms. I'd have a hard time crushing the O's for taking the guy that they ranked best.... I would disagree with the logic of taking him though.

I guess that's fair, as we both disagree with the logic. My point was that Jordan's track record of going against conventional wisdom to take his guys hasn't been impressive so far. I don't trust him to make that kind of decision.

SG, is Jungmann going to be your Grant Green of this year? Not going to let this guy go?

If they pass on Rendon if by a miracle he is there, I will be pissed.

Nothing wrong about the O's doing their due diligence with Bradley. There better be a bigger difference in signing than with Hobgood ($2.6) and Matzek ($3.4) though. If Bradley signs for $4.5 and Bundy signs for $6.5 plus I will somewhat understand. Not going to be great, but it is defensible.

Maybe his Grant Green, maybe his Christian Colon. :D

I've never heard a report on Jungmann that made me question him as a #4 pick until someone here reported that his velocity was somewhat down in his last start. Probably not something to lose our mind over, but at #4, I want elite, not very good. If very good is an option, I'd just take Hultzen.

With Cole pretty certain to be #1, I'm down to Rendon and Bundy on my "really want" list. After them, I'm putting a ton of people into the same level of player, and A. Bradley is one of them.

I guess that's fair, as we both disagree with the logic. My point was that Jordan's track record of going against conventional wisdom to take his guys hasn't been impressive so far. I don't trust him to make that kind of decision.

I don't think that was necessarily great logic. It's logic in a vacuum in that nobody (on the outside) really knows what pressures, incentives, desires any kid or his family and friends may have or exert on the situation. All things being equal, the logic works.

I found out a week ago that Archie Bradley was on BAL's list of serious considers. Didn't think much of it at the time but considered him a dark horse. Over the last few days, it's become evident that Hultzen is asking for the moon. He is coveted by both Arizona and Baltimore, but not for big time money. It makes sense, if you like Hultzen for his safety and not his upside, is it wise to spend big bucks to sign him?

With news of Hultzen's asking price, Arizona broadened its horizons and is considering both Trevor Bauer and Dylan Bundy. This is bad news for BAL, because from what I know Bundy was their guy. He's also asking a ton, but his ceiling justifies what you might give up. With the very real possibility that Bundy goes 1:3 to ARI, BAL needs serious backup plans. They have been doing their homework, and contacted their number 2 HS P, Archie Bradley, to feel his camp out. They did this out of due diligence in case Bundy is gone and also to get a ballpark figure to bounce back off Bundy's camp. I think the nat'l media has really run with this story. Just because they've discussed some things with Archie Bradley does not mean he is the favorite for BAL's pick.

I do think he is a serious consider, and I do think that IF Cole, Rendon and Bundy are off the board, Archie Bradley becomes a very possible candidate along with one or two others. But, I still think the chances of BAL selecting Bradley at this point are <50%.

I will be surprised and a little upset if JJ can pick between Bundy and Bradley and he selects Bradley. I have it on pretty good authority that Bundy is their #1 HS P.

Thanks for the info. So what I'm getting from this is that they want Bundy with Hultzen and Bradley as their secondary choices? I'd rather they take Hultzen in this scenario. Would be interesting if AZ takes Bauer and Bundy, Bradley, and Hultzen were on the board.

I'm going to assume the Top 3 are Cole, Rendon, Bauer or Bundy.

Leaving the O's staring at Bauer or Bundy, Hultzen, Jungmann, Gray, Starling, J.Bradley etc.

Starling would be my pick regardless, but clearly the O's aren't going there.

I'd prefer Gray vs. Bauer/Bundy, Hultzen, Jungmann, JBradley, A.Bradley if the O's were set on taking an arm.

Why would you assume Bauer is that high?
If the O's are looking at their board, and they have A.Bradley ranked above Bauer/Bundy, Hultzen, Jungmann, Gray, and JBradley - you can't crush them for taking who they liked best
if they like the wrong guy more, sure I can. :D
If the O's are looking at their board, and they have A.Bradley ranked equal with Bauer/Bundy, Hultzen, Jungmann, Gray, JBradley - and they can get A.Bradley cheaper, he should be the pick
Hard to believe they will like him equal.
Here is my guess on Jordan's thinking:

1) He has seen and likes Bradley.

2) Bradley is bigger, and more physical than Bundy.

3) He grades Bundy and Bradley similar, but based on the signing demands of Bundy... he is willing to go to Bradley and feel good about it. Not going to pay considerably more for a player he doesn't love more.

4) Like Hobgood vs. Grant Green, like Machado vs. Colon... Jordan is not going to take a college player he grades as having less overall projection, over a HS player he grades higher.

Lots of validity to this.

if they take Bradley, I will assume that he will sign for less than the other 2 pitchers they want and this will be a combo of signability plus upside. I will not believe he will be #1 on their board when they pick.

I don't think that was necessarily great logic. It's logic in a vacuum in that nobody (on the outside) really knows what pressures, incentives, desires any kid or his family and friends may have or exert on the situation. All things being equal, the logic works.

I would say the logic works if you have a scouting and development system that is among the best. Baltimore's draft and development strategy has left much to be desired, so until they hit on a few guys and develop them properly, I'm going to be a little leery of them taking less of a sure thing to go for their guy.

Re: Jungmann, I have no idea, except that the Orioles are not alone. Jungmann hasn't gotten much national love this season.

Re: Rendon, yes, I think they will take him if he's there, as long as there are no red flags in the medicals.

Jungmann is the Kyle Gibson of this year (minus the injury). Solid guy, everyone has him on a list, but he gets bumped down by the flashier picks. Solid but unspectacular.

Law seems pretty convinced the D-Back are going with Bauer

Arizona Diamondbacks Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA This seems solid now after they looked at a number of options, including Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley

And he has Bundy going 5th .... Seems they are turned off by Hultzman's demands.

Here is what he says about Bundy

Dylan Bundy, RHP, Owasso (Okla.) HSThey want a polished pitcher who'll move quickly through their system, and Bundy fits. I've had two evaluators call Bundy the best player in the draft, which would be quite a coup for a team picking fifth.

Best Player in the draft .... Will move quickly through the organization. I dont see anyway it makes sense to bypass Dylan if he's there.

So how serious is Bradley about football? Is he just using it as negotiating leverage' date=' or is he passionate about it enough that he would pass up 1(4) money to go play at OU?[/quote']

I've heard that baseball is his first love, but being the QB at OK is nothing to scoff at. Jones looks like he's coming out in the draft next year, so that could leave Bradley as the starter in his sophmore year. Just something to consider when thinking about his price tag.

Jungmann is the Kyle Gibson of this year (minus the injury). Solid guy, everyone has him on a list, but he gets bumped down by the flashier picks. Solid but unspectacular.

Who is A. Bradley?

He's a big, very sturdy guy who didn't bump velocity his senior year a la Hobgood. Like Hobgood, he seems to have a hammer curve. Unlike Hobgood, he doesn't seem to have conditioning issues. He has a good feel for his curve and apparantly both a 2s and 4s fastball. He doesn't have great feel for a 3rd/4th pitch, though he seems to float a change-up every now and then.

So, we're talking about a high school guy who has everything except the prototypical third pitch. That's not a huge surprise given that he's only 18 (or whatever). That means he'd be a good closer at worst, or he could spend his younger years working on that third pitch and turn into a stud.

I'm definitely not going to hate it if A. Bradley is the pick. If we want a guy who can blow fastballs by really good lineups (a la Bedard), we need to pick them. Good pitchers can lead a team to a lot of wins. Electric guys can lead a team to World Series wins.

The only thing I don't get is this...why Bradley over Gray, who also has pretty electric stuff?

[Edit: With all of this said, he's still below Bundy on my list.]

I think we all need to realize that Bradley is a more talented, higher upside guy than Hobgood.

Its not fair to label him the same as Hobgood IMO.

But that doesn't mean the pick isn't as bad as Hobgood given the talent sitting there for them.

Personally, I am taking Bradley over the other Bradley and Bauer.

But I am not taking him over Cole, Rendon, Bundy, Starling, Jungmann, Gray and Hultzen.....4 of those 7 players will be there when the Orioles pick.

Archived