O's to take Archie Bradley? Nope, Dylan Bundy!

Ugh sometimes I hate this organization.

I wonder how many players we will have to dump in July or August so we can sign extra draft picks?

Back when Vlad was signed, everyone said, what's the harm in signing him?

Well, here is your answer.

There is zero doubt that the Orioles signings impact the draft.

They have a baseball budget...the more they spend on the ML team, the less they have for the amateur talent.

How many national people did we see say, they should be putting the money to better uses? So many people on here ignored that.

If they go Bradley tonight, you will see the reprecussions from those idiotic decisions.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got this off Orioles nation for what its worth ....

Sticker shock: Teams being told asking price on Dylan Bundy is 6 yrs, $30 million. For Archie Bradley, 5 yrs and $20 million. #mlbdraft

This was from Callis ....Sorry

I had heard that figure about Bundy about a week ago. It seems impossible, but who knows? Frankly, I wouldn't pay that much for ANY high school pitcher. I doubt I'd pay $10 mm for any high school pitcher, for that matter. There's just too much risk there.

I would think that a teams draft board would look something like this:

Cole

Rendon

Hultzen

Bundy

Starling

Bradley

Lindor

The Orioles should not be taking the 7th-10th best player when they are passing up guys like Hultzen/Bundy and Starling in the process! I will be very disappointed if it unfolds this way because it screams signability and that kind of thinking equates to bust. How much money do you save if the guy never contributes to the ML club?

The Orioles lack of long term vision is incredible. If the player hits, you have him cheap for 6 years...who cares if he costs too much money to begin with?

No problem at all, I just got confused.

It was a good question. Most of the focus is on "what they could be" and very little is on " what we know they are". So asking if there are othr pitchers with higher floors and ceilings than Hultzen is a good question.

I would think that a teams draft board would look something like this:

Cole

Rendon

Hultzen

Bundy

Starling

Bradley

Lindor

The Orioles should not be taking the 7th-10th best player when they are passing up guys like Hultzen/Bundy and Starling in the process! I will be very disappointed if it unfolds this way because it screams signability and that kind of thinking equates to bust. How much money do you save if the guy never contributes to the ML club?

The Orioles aren't taking the 7th-10th best player according to your list, they are taking #6, at #4, because of injury and contract concerns about those ahead. And Bradley isn't a reach by any standards. He is a very good prep arm.

Its also naive to just sit there and say, well if that's who the Orioles want, we should trust them.

I didn't say that. I said if they pick the top prospect on their board, it's the right pick to make for the staff.

Whether or not the staff is good enough in its evaluations is an entirely different matter altogether.

The strategy for at least the first several rounds of the MLB draft should always be:

Take the best prospect available according to your draft board, regardless of signability or position, with a few exceptions.

Those exceptions:

1- the top prospect won't sign for any MLB team due to a desire to play another sport, go to college, etc.

2- bad injury history/concerns

3- You've got more than one guy equal on your draft board

The only way I can see this as a way to deke a team is for the O's to be in on Hultzen and they want ARI to pass on him in hopes of getting him with their 7th pick otherwise it just doesn't make sense. I can't see the advantage of trying to play with peoples minds.

The whole conspiracy theories for putting this out there are bs to me.

Everyone always wants to look for that...The teams ahead of them will draft who they want..They don't care what the Orioles are floating out there.

On top of that, no matter who they draft, will likely not be signed until the deadline anyway...So, because of that, the idea of trying to get price tag down is meaningless because you don't sign them as soon as you draft them..the price tags come down because that's just what happens during the process.

Maybe this is to scare Bundy a bit. You have to believe the idea of playing with his brother is appealing. If they think his demands are too high you put out word you are thinking of drafting his good friend instead. Maybe he starts to think then and gives an indication of more flexibility.

The whole conspiracy theories for putting this out there is bs to me.

Everyone always wants to look for that...The teams ahead of them will draft who they want..They don't care what the Orioles are floating out there.

On top of that, no matter who they draft, will likely not be signed until the deadline anyway...So, because of that, the idea of trying to get price tag down is meaningless because you don't sign them as soon as you draft them..the price tags come down because that's just what happens during the process.

I agree but I am looking for a reason for this not to be true.

But will Bradley really be cheaper than some of the other options out there? His contract demands appeared to be pretty high too.

He will probably end up being cheaper than Bundy and Hultzen, the 2 other pitchers they APPEAR to be in on.

To me, it sounds like Rendon, Bradley or Hultzen. If Rendon and Hultzen go 2 and 3, then we draft Bradley...If not, then the Orioles have a decision to make.

You said the scouts have little to no impact that high in the draft. Joe Jordan and his top assistants are scouts. If they have little to no impact, who else would make the pick, if not the GM?

It's probably a matter of semantics.

Yes, it is, because Jordan and his assistants aren't "scouts" they are in charge and more executive. When it comes to the draft, Jordan is what you'd imagine the GM to be in other sports. Baseball has too much going on with multiple levels and rounds in the draft, so the GM will be around and give general philosophical opinions but most of the time won't actually make the decisions. I could see him having some influence on this top pick, but MacPhail has said before that Jordan runs the draft, he stays out of it.

Back when Vlad was signed, everyone said, what's the harm in signing him?

Well, here is your answer.

There is zero doubt that the Orioles signings impact the draft.

They have a baseball budget...the more they spend on the ML team, the less they have for the amateur talent.

How many national people did we see say, they should be putting the money to better uses? So many people on here ignored that.

If they go Bradley tonight, you will see the reprecussions from those idiotic decisions.

Everything here makes complete sense, but until the person making this decision comes out and says this, it's just conjecture. There's no way to know with zero doubt that those signings affect the draft budget. For all we know, the draft budget, international and national FA budgets and other budgets could all be set separately. There's no reason to believe that money left over in one area will necessarily spill over to another.

Archived