1st rd (4) - Dylan Bundy - RHP, Owasso HS

I agree. As long as he's advanced and can move fairly quickly he's a good pick. I'd love to see him sign quickly and go to Aberdeen for about eight starts but I doubt that happens. If he does that he could start next year at Delmarva and move to Frederick before the year is out. He could be in Bowie by 2013.

Tony, if he is truly advanced, should it matter how young he is? Shouldn't he start in Frederick next year if he is that advanced?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quotes and thoughts:

"I saw Bundy throw," said a scout with an American League team, "and it was the best-pitched high school game I've seen in my 20 years of scouting."

"The day I saw Bundy," said an NL scout, "I could tell you it was the best I've seen a high school pitcher."

A high-ranking NL executive who saw Bundy throw said he liked him - to start a game in the big leagues the next day, that is.

Video

I agree. As long as he's advanced and can move fairly quickly he's a good pick. I'd love to see him sign quickly and go to Aberdeen for about eight starts but I doubt that happens. If he does that he could start next year at Delmarva and move to Frederick before the year is out. He could be in Bowie by 2013.

If he's as advanced as advertised I think there is a good chance he starts at Delmarva next year even if he doesn't pitch this year.

Tony, if he is truly advanced, should it matter how young he is? Shouldn't he start in Frederick next year if he is that advanced?

If he doesn't sign until late (most likely) I can't see him starting that high. He could maybe start that high if he pitches this summer and shows well, but if he doesn't pitch this summer due to the hold out he probably would start at Delmarva next year. However, he could very easily move to Frederick if he dominates.

Quotes and thoughts:

"I saw Bundy throw," said a scout with an American League team, "and it was the best-pitched high school game I've seen in my 20 years of scouting."

"The day I saw Bundy," said an NL scout, "I could tell you it was the best I've seen a high school pitcher."

A high-ranking NL executive who saw Bundy throw said he liked him - to start a game in the big leagues the next day, that is.

Video

There is some amazing praise being thrown this kids way. Ultimately, doesn't mean anything but it has me really jacked up.

Honestly, with Hultzen and Bauer off the board, Bundy really became the best pick regardless, especially since Rendon's injuries seem to have scared off some teams. It would have been interesting to see what the Orioles would have done of Hultzen or Bauer were still on the board.

Name: Dylan Bundy

Height/weight: 6-foot-1, 205

School/class: Owasso (Okla.) High/senior

Hometown: Sperry, Okla.

Position: Right-handed pitcher

2011 stats: 11-0, 1 save, 0.20 ERA, 71 IP, 20 H, 2 ER, 5 BBs, 158 Ks; also hit .467 with 11 homers and 54 RBIs in 105 at-bats.

Skinny: Has a high-90s fastball that reportedly reached 100 mph this spring. Also features a hard cut-fastball, sharp curve and a developing changeup. … Was named 2011 Gatorade’s National Player of the Year. ... Bundy excelled as an infielder and had two homers in the state semifinals. … Highly conditioned, has a specific training regimen that includes weightlifting and long toss that he expects to maintain as a pro. … Owasso lost Oklahoma’s Class 6A championship to Broken Arrow, which was led by likely first-round pick Archie Bradley. … Won two state titles at Class 3A Sperry before transferring as a junior. … Struck out 595 batters and had an ERA under 1.00 in high school career. …. Has committed to the University of Texas. … Older brother Bobby was Orioles’ eighth-round choice in 2008 and pitches for Single-A Frederick.

The quote: “It was always a competition growing up. People would kid with us, ‘Who can beat up who?’ or ‘Who can throw harder?’ It was something special growing up. We have a really good relationship. You couldn’t ask for a better brother. He’s everything and more. He’s very mature for his age.”

-- Bobby Bundy, Frederick Keys pitcher and Dylan’s older brother

Well you are actually allowed to sign a guy right away and have him pitch. Does the prior relationship with the family open the door to the O's and Bundy agreeing on the dollars very fast? Personally I think it would be great if the signing deadline was moved to 15 days after the draft.

Haven't I heard that the league many times holds off on approving the larger signing bonuses in order not to influence other negotiations? If this is the case, it doesn't matter if the O's and Bundy come to terms quickly.

The interview was interesting with Bundy on the mlb network with his friend Archie Bradley. Bradley was all smiles and happy as can be and Dylan sat there with a Brett Favre/Tom Zbikowski frown like he was ready to go into battle. I'm sure hitters see this look all of the time and if he throws at you high and tight he can be intimidating. Great choice and I hope he can be at Bowie in 2013 and maybe skip Norfolk and come straight to Baltimore.

Rendon was my first choice and those that read my post last night saw quotes off of the Pirates version of OH. One of their regulars with reliable sources said the medicals did show basically a guy who their doctors said didn't see having a long career or words similar to that. Teams got to see the medicals and obviously the top five teams decided to pass. The Nationals apparently decided to ignore them.

If Bundy wants to be an Oriole, I don't understand why it should take until mid-August to sign him to a contract.

I can understand that maybe they don't want to have him log anymore innings, but they should be able to get this done and that will give them a good idea how there budget will shape up the rest of the way.

BTW, I can't wait to hear how Bobby feels about this.

Archived