• Jeff Reboulet
    • Tim Hulett
    • Bill Swaggerty
    • Other - Please Explain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't mean to imply any kind of limits here besides that the guy had to have spent a decent amount of time with the Birds, and had to be pretty awful on the field. I figured about a season's worth of games sorta kinda equated to "decent amount of time."

The only real intent here was to answer the question "who's your favorite Oriole that sucked?"

My choice is the incomparable Eugene Kingsale, while he was far short of the 150 game limit with only 71 games with the O's he did appear in 5 different seasons with the O's, and is still kicking around in the O's farm system as of last season... There was nothing particularly athletic about him, he was a below average outfielder with decent speed who always took the wrong route to the ball, my Dad loved to compare him to Jar Jar Binks... He was however the youngest player to appear in '96 which is always cool, the first Aruban which paved the way for Sir Sidney, a fellow Knight in his homeland, and just an incredibly goofy looking guy, he looked like he was about 6'4" 150.... Also, in his first 14 games he came to bat only twice as he was primarily a pinch runner...

Ken "Home Run" Dixon.

He was 26-28 in 105 games as an Oriole. 1.36 WHIP, 4.66 career ERA, but most startling were the 33 HR he gave up in 1986 followed by a much improved 31 HR in 1987. He also gave up 111 runs on 194 hits in 1986.

I even went 2-5 against him once, and I was only 10 years old at the time. :)

In all of MLB history no man has ever pitched fewer innings in a season and allowed 30+ homers:

INNINGS PITCHED               YEAR     IP       HR     1    Ken Dixon                1987    105         31   2    Andy Benes               2001    107.1       30   3    Greg Gohr                1996    115.2       31   4    Jim Deshaies             1994    130.1       30   5    Scott Elarton            2001    132.2       34   6    Scott Sanders            1997    139.2       30   7    Rob Bell                 2000    140.1       32   8    Casey Fossum             2004    142         31   9    Ryan Rupe                2001    143.1       30   10   Scott Bankhead           1987    149.1       35

I'd go with Orsulak. He really was pretty bad, you can look it up. I'd love how the commentators would bring up the fact that he had so many assists. A classic case of a guy with many assists who was a poor outfielder. I once saw him throw behind the runner at 1B trying to catch him off-guard and nail him rounding the bag. Only problem was, the runner just cruised into 2B once he committed to making the throw to 1B. Bush league stuff. Lots of fans loved him for his agressive style but....

In all of MLB history no man has ever pitched fewer innings in a season and allowed 30+ homers:
INNINGS PITCHED               YEAR     IP       HR     1    Ken Dixon                1987    105         31   2    Andy Benes               2001    107.1       30   3    Greg Gohr                1996    115.2       31   4    Jim Deshaies             1994    130.1       30   5    Scott Elarton            2001    132.2       34   6    Scott Sanders            1997    139.2       30   7    Rob Bell                 2000    140.1       32   8    Casey Fossum             2004    142         31   9    Ryan Rupe                2001    143.1       30   10   Scott Bankhead           1987    149.1       35

Man...thanks for the supporting data, Jon. He sure earned the nickname.

Archived