• Other - Please Explain

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I cant believe this is the first mention but Lenn Sakata absolutely deserves to be on here. Never once slugging over .373 in his years in Baltimore. Check out his OPS+ totals, playing 81 games with an OPS+ of 33 is just horrific.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sakatle01.shtml

Man, that game in 1983....... Tippy Martinez picking off three Blue Jays in one inning (10th). Lowenstein playing 2B. Roenicke playing 3B. Sakata playing CATCHER (?) :eek::confused::eek::confused:

No wonder Tippy Martinez kept throwing to 1B Eddie Murray. He was the only familiar face! Of course, Sakata hit 3 run HR to win the game in the bottom of the inning.

I still remember this game like it was yesterday. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Man, that game in 1983....... Tippy Martinez picking off three Blue Jays in one inning (10th). Lowenstein playing 2B. Roenicke playing 3B. Sakata playing CATCHER (?) :eek::confused::eek::confused:

No wonder Tippy Martinez kept throwing to 1B Eddie Murray. He was the only familiar face! Of course, Sakata hit 3 run HR to win the game in the bottom of the inning.

I still remember this game like it was yesterday. :)

Easily one of my all-time favorite moments as an Oriole fan. I remember listening to the game on the radio and then waiting for the news to come on so I could watch the pick offs and home run.

Sakata goes down in O's infamy for this one game alone.

Funny thing Todd Cruz had like five or six rbi the first game with the Orioles after we traded for him. I remember the announcers glowing about it. Little did we know it was the highlight of his stay.

Wow, that's quite a memory. Cruz was purchased from the Mariners on June 30, 1983 and made his Oriole debut in this game the next day. He went 2-for-3 with a double, a homer, two runs, and six RBI. He'd play another 80 games for the O's in '83, but he picked up 22% of his RBI that one game.

• 1 month later...

A few canidates:

Chico Salmon was a very light hitting utility infielder in the late 60's, early 70's.

Larry Sheets had one good offensive year (1987) and several mediocre or worse. But all of his years were horrible defensively. He would camp out under a routine pop fly only to have it bounce ten feet behind him. :o

He doesn't qualify because he only spent a few months here, but nobody was lamer (or funnier) than Jeff Stone. He was as fast as anyone to ever play the game but was dumb as a rock (or stone, lol) and had no instincts at all. He would overrun 2nd base, get picked off, forget how many outs and run on pop fly with 0 outs, etc. His speed didnt help him defensively either as he would overrun balls or take the wrong path, etc.

But, he was a nice kid with a good attitude who busted his but everyday. He just didn't have it above the shoulders. He had tools but wasn't a baseball player.

I vote for Chico Salmon. I don't think anyone spent so many years on the roster and accomplished so little.

Archived