How much would you pay...

Sports Guy

....for each of the top tier free agents(i will assume ARam at least tests the waters of FA and that Smoltz's option gets picked up..my answers in bold)

Lee: 4/36

Soriano: 4/52

ARam: 5/75

Zito: 3/36

Schmidt: 4/50

Mulder: 2/18

Pettitte: 1/6

Huff: 2/14

This is the major FA's...If i am forgetting someone, go ahead and add them. Guys like Cat, Lidle, et al need not apply in this thread.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....for each of the top tier free agents(i will assume ARam at least tests the waters of FA and that Smoltz's option gets picked up..my answers in bold)

Lee: 4/36

Soriano: 4/52

ARam: 5/75

Zito: 3/36

Schmidt: 4/50

Mulder: 2/18

Pettitte: 1/6

Huff: 2/14

This is the major FA's...If i am forgetting someone, go ahead and add them. Guys like Cat, Lidle, et al need not apply in this thread.

I think Mulder's not much better than Benson, or a league average starter, so i think you are overpaying.

I'm sure this is touchy but that's an absurd contract to offer A-ram for ages 29-33. I'm not confident we can expect him to average a .900 OPS over the life of this contract and he is already a below average thrid baseman.

At those figures, there's a very good chance you're not landing any of the top tier free agents. (Maybe that was your point.)

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the only competitive bids I'm seeing there are for the guy who might not even become a FA (ARam), and the guy that seems to have a strong hometown preference (Schmidt).

Why even list a guy like Lee if you're going to make a ridiculous offer?

OThers may want to pay more...I am trying to get an idea of what people at the hangout want to pay for these guys. That way, if they go for alot more than what people say, they can't b!tch about the FO. Must i spell everything out?

At those figures, there's a very good chance you're not landing any of the top tier free agents. (Maybe that was your point.)

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the only competitive bids I'm seeing there are for the guy who might not even become a FA (ARam), and the guy that seems to have a strong hometown preference (Schmidt).

Davearm, am I correct that Cubs fans have questioned Ramirez's hustle and alertness? I read somewhere that he had really turned it around recently, but the doubts remain.

I wonder, especially after we've seen people get very negative about Tejada for real and perceived lapses (despite his great numbers this year).

I think Mulder's not much better than Benson, or a league average starter, so i think you are overpaying.

I have no basis for saying this other than intuition, but IMO Mulder signs a 1-year deal with someone (STL would be the frontrunner), and tries to re-establish himself as an elite, AllStar-caliber guy, so that he can cash in big then.

Kinda like Nomar has done for two years in a row now.

Add Nomar to your lists guys:

I would give him a complicated contract like the one i outlined yesterday:

2/16-18....Every 50 plate appearances over 300 hundred he gets another 500K.

Third year option for 10 million kicks in with 975 plate appearances combined in the first 2 years of the contract.

Davearm, am I correct that Cubs fans have questioned Ramirez's hustle and alertness? I read somewhere that he had really turned it around recently, but the doubts remain.

I wonder, especially after we've seen people get very negative about Tejada for real and perceived lapses (despite his great numbers this year).

You are correct about ARam. People question his effort and work ethic.

Those voices tend to die down when he's going through an extended stretch of 1.000+ OPS.

What kind of offensive production and defense do you expect out of A-ram from age 29 through 34? Do you expect him to play 3rd base all 6 years?

I'd have no problem with offering him a 6 year deal. He'll be the same age as Mora is today in his final year of his contract. And he's a better 3rd baseman than Mora is

I'd have no problem with offering him a 6 year deal. He'll be the same age as Mora is today in his final year of his contract. And he's a better 3rd baseman than Mora is

The years are fine, I'm more interested in why he'd spend 90 million. Your thoughts on the value of a 15 million/year deal?

Archived