New Top 10 after the Bundy pick?

ChuckS

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, what is more rare? A 19 year old SS prospect hitting for average and power in the minors or a raw power arm out of high school? I'm going with the former. Bundy could end up being a stud, but right now Schoop is more of a sure thing. When Bundy is in the Sally League next year pitching to an ERA under 2 with a 4:1 K to BB ratio I may change my mind, but until then I'll take Schoop all day.

Seriously, what is more rare? A 19 year old SS prospect hitting for average and power in the minors or a raw power arm out of high school? I'm going with the former. Bundy could end up being a stud, but right now Schoop is more of a sure thing. When Bundy is in the Sally League next year pitching to an ERA under 2 with a 4:1 K to BB ratio I may change my mind, but until then I'll take Schoop all day.

A few quibbles. Schoop isn't a SS prospect. I mean, yes he was getting time there with Machado out, but the plan at the beginning of the season was already to make the conversion to third base with some time at second to see how he handled the footwork. He's likely a third baseman going forward.

Does an .890 OPS in the sally league for a guy in his second affiliated pro season (excluding prior experience in DSL) really need to be matched with an ERA under 2 and a 4:1 K/BB for a guy in his rookie pro season? I'd say an ERA around 3 (though I wouldn't look to ERA as a primary metric) and something like a 2.5/1 or 3/1 K/BB would be comparable. A very good half season, worthy of promotion, but not necessarily eye-popping.

Last, I take issue with the "raw power arm out of high school" description. Several scouts have acknowledged that Bundy is one of the most complete and highly polished pitchers they've ever seen come out of HS. He may not start in Frederick next year, but he could. He's the rare combination of mid-to-upper 90s velo, command, arsenal and pitchability out of HS. A very rare breed indeed. Much rarer than an .890 OPS 3B in SAL IMO, though I do love Schoop.

EDIT: I could have read your post wrong. Which Bundy were you referring to? I assumed Dylan, who is a large step ahead of Schoop to me.

If you're talking Bobby, it's definitely a more intriguing conversation. I'll wait and let the season play out before making a final decision, but my gut says Bundy will emerge the better prospect. Both need to establish more of a track record. But Bobby has grown considerably since he was drafted. His changeup has made big strides this year and is leading to success in Hi-A at 21. He could end the season in AA. We'll see.

A few quibbles. Schoop isn't a SS prospect. I mean, yes he was getting time there with Machado out, but the plan at the beginning of the season was already to make the conversion to third base with some time at second to see how he handled the footwork. He's likely a third baseman going forward.

Does an .890 OPS in the sally league for a guy in his second affiliated pro season (excluding prior experience in DSL) really need to be matched with an ERA under 2 and a 4:1 K/BB for a guy in his rookie pro season? I'd say an ERA around 3 (though I wouldn't look to ERA as a primary metric) and something like a 2.5/1 or 3/1 K/BB would be comparable. A very good half season, worthy of promotion, but not necessarily eye-popping.

Last, I take issue with the "raw power arm out of high school" description. Several scouts have acknowledged that Bundy is one of the most complete and highly polished pitchers they've ever seen come out of HS. He may not start in Frederick next year, but he could. He's the rare combination of mid-to-upper 90s velo, command, arsenal and pitchability out of HS. A very rare breed indeed. Much rarer than an .890 OPS 3B in SAL IMO, though I do love Schoop.

You make some good points, but Bundy is still completely unproven at the professional level. Scouting reports out of HS don't always translate to pro ball as we have seen in the past. Billy Rowell...Richard Stahl? Those are two guys that were thrown into the top prospect spot for us before swinging a bat or throwing a pitch in the pros and both ended up being duds. As far as those numbers I would like to see from Bundy, I was just throwing something out there. I'm not sure what it would take for Bundy to be ahead of Schoop in my mind, but he will certainly need to dominate hitters in his first season, show some polish, and stay healthy of course. I'm also assuming Schoop ends the year with a BA around .300 and 15-20 homeruns. This is all relative to his continued performance.

To your point about Schoop not being a SS prospect: Why was he moved to Frederick as soon as Machado came off the DL? Deductive reasoning would lead me to believe that it was because they want to keep him at SS. Even if he is moved from SS I would have to think 2B would be a possibility as well since anyone that can play SS can certainly play 2B.

Josh Bell no longer qualifies as a prospect if I'm not mistaken. He lost his rookie status last year. Everyone still has Hoes and Avery in there, but I just don't see it. Neither guy has hit for any power. Neither can steal bases. Yes, I know Avery has piled up some steals, but his percentage has been horrible so I don't see that as a plus or translating well at the major league level. Both have shown ability to hit for average at times, but neither player has one thing that they do incredibly well. Hoes is also a below average fielder, who may have to be moved to LF where he would be nothing more than organizational depth. These guys were border line top ten guys going into the year and were only so high on our list because of our lack of depth as a system. Both have proven this year they belong outside of the top 10. In my opinion they will need to turn things around in a major way to be considered top prospects.

You are spending a lot of space convincing us Avery and Hoes does not belong. Could you spend some space convincing us why Berry, Townsend and the others belong? I would like to hear more about them from your prospective.

Any conversation about where Dylan Bundy fits on this list should probably be #1 or #2, not #2 or #3. There's no way another prospect rates higher than him unless it's Machado, and that's even questionable. Conventional wisdom says Machado is #1, so here's my top list...

1. Machado

2. D. Bundy

3. Schoop

4. B. Bundy

5. Espinosa

Where does Mahoney place on this list. He is currently on the DL. So is Klein. At this point here is my short list.

1. Machado

2. Mahoney

3. Schoop

4. Klein

5. Dylan Bundy

6. Avery

7. Towsend

8. B. Bundy

9. Hobgood

10.Schrader

11.Berry

12.Hoes

I would almost not hesitate to make Klein my #3 after Dylan Bundy. This is a guy that has moved lightening quick through the system and by next year could be a shut down set up guy or even a power closer. His stuff is very real. Guys like Bundy and Schoop are also fantastic prospects, but their MLB futures, to me, are not as certain as Klein's.

Where does Mahoney place on this list. He is currently on the DL. So is Klein. At this point here is my short list.

1. Machado

2. Mahoney

3. Schoop

4. Klein

5. Dylan Bundy

6. Avery

7. Towsend

8. B. Bundy

9. Hobgood

10.Schrader

11.Berry

12.Hoes

No way is Mahoney a Top-5 prospect, nor is Bobby Bundy below Avery or Townsend. Nor is Dylan below #3.

1. Machado

2. Mahoney

3. Schoop

4. Klein

5. Dylan Bundy

6. Avery

7. Towsend

8. B. Bundy

9. Hobgood

10.Schrader

11.Berry

12.Hoes

You may be the only person in the world, outside of the Mahoney family, who thinks he is a #2 prospect and above Klein, Schoop and the Bundy Bros.

Archived