New Top 10 after the Bundy pick?

ChuckS

At the times of their drafts, I had D. Bundy rated a couple ticks above Machado (60 to 58 in OFP, give or take).

However, Machado has done nothing but impress me from Spring Training (where I really had a chance to observe him up close over a good period of time) to his half season with Delmarva. Concerns about how he'll fill his frame and where his ultimate position still mitigate my projection of him, but I feel more comfortable now projecting the bat as .290/.360/.480 or better.

I've got a gut feeling about Bundy, and I think he is a better draft prospect. But, after seeing Machado adjust so quickly to pro ball, I think I might give him the slightest of nods.

My crystal ball tells me, however, that in a year or two Bundy will be rated higher by just about everyone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are spending a lot of space convincing us Avery and Hoes does not belong. Could you spend some space convincing us why Berry, Townsend and the others belong? I would like to hear more about them from your prospective.

I'm going mostly on performance. Townsend and Berry have performed well (albeit Berry last year) while Hoes and Avery have been inconsistent and have glaring holes in their games. I agree that ranking prospects 6 and above is a bit of a crapshoot and on further research I might not have Snyder and Adams in my top ten. Townsend looks like our best power bat in the minors right now. While his plate discipline could be improved he's also hitting for a high average, so he offers more than just power.

At the times of their drafts, I had D. Bundy rated a couple ticks above Machado (60 to 58 in OFP, give or take).

However, Machado has done nothing but impress me from Spring Training (where I really had a chance to observe him up close over a good period of time) to his half season with Delmarva. Concerns about how he'll fill his frame and where his ultimate position still mitigate my projection of him, but I feel more comfortable now projecting the bat as .290/.360/.480 or better.

I've got a gut feeling about Bundy, and I think he is a better draft prospect. But, after seeing Machado adjust so quickly to pro ball, I think I might give him the slightest of nods.

My crystal ball tells me, however, that in a year or two Bundy will be rated higher by just about everyone.

This is what I think as well.

Bundy better at draft but Machado has played and been very impressive.

I think Bundy could debut in the top 25 next year though.

This is what I think as well.

Bundy better at draft but Machado has played and been very impressive.

I think Bundy could debut in the top 25 next year though.

I'd go so far as to guarantee it. Baseball America loves him. I think he ends-up in the 8-15 range.

I'd go so far as to guarantee it. Baseball America loves him. I think he ends-up in the 8-15 range.

Yep. When you hear people talking him up like they are, no way he is just #40 on the list.

O's could have 2 top 10 prospects entering the year next year.

Any conversation about where Dylan Bundy fits on this list should probably be #1 or #2, not #2 or #3. There's no way another prospect rates higher than him unless it's Machado, and that's even questionable. Conventional wisdom says Machado is #1, so here's my top list...

1. Machado

2. D. Bundy

3. Schoop

4. B. Bundy

5. Espinosa

I should amend this a bit. Machado-D. Bundy are 1-2 and there's definitely an argument for B. Bundy over Schoop between 3-4. Klein's prospect status is mitigated by 1) his health issues and 2) his ability to stick as a starter (or even begin as one). Nice prospect for sure, but as a reliever is he that much above Schrader?

With Bridwell getting started, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at #5 before long.

Machado and D Bundy are definitely #1 and #2. Then a drop off to #3 and #4 which are Schoop and B. Bundy. Then another drop off to 5-10. I think the top 4 are likely to stay my top 4 come September but I could see any 6 or 7 guys filling the 5-10 spots.

Machado and D Bundy are definitely #1 and #2. Then a drop off to #3 and #4 which are Schoop and B. Bundy. Then another drop off to 5-10. I think the top 4 are likely to stay my top 4 come September but I could see any 6 or 7 guys filling the 5-10 spots.

I agree...Klein is the only one who has top 4 potential IMO however, he is "just a reliever" and no way should he be higher than these 4 as a reliever.

Yep. When you hear people talking him up like they are, no way he is just #40 on the list.

O's could have 2 top 10 prospects entering the year next year.

While it's nice to have to highly rated prospects, I wonder if we'll have anything else to show for on this list. I'd imagine if Schoop hits well at Frederick that he'll have a shot at making the list. If Klein gets healthy and produces at a similar rate, he may have an outside chance, though unlikely. B. Bundy is probably on the radar, but I'd imagine he's a year away from national attention.

I agree...Klein is the only one who has top 4 potential IMO however, he is "just a reliever" and no way should he be higher than these 4 as a reliever.

JJ told Tony today that Klein will most likely be converted to a starter next year. Still the plan.

Risk of move to bullpen/shoulder injury does mitigate his upside for me, though. He's behind B. Bundy.

I'll concede that going by the "experts" that Bundy will likely be #1 or #2 rated by most next winter. Schoop, BTW, has played 2 games of his four at Frederick, at 2B (1 at DH, 1 at SS). I think the O's are planning a future keystone combo of Manny at SS and Schoop at 2B. You might even see it a little later this summer at Frederick. It might be a little optimistic, but I don't think it's unrealistic to envision both starting at Bowie next year.

My revised top 10.

1. Machado

2. D. Bundy

3. Schoop

4. B. Bundy

5. Klein

6. Bridwell

7. Esposito

8. Schrader

9. Mummey

0. Townsend

Not saying I agree with the list, but if we sign DelMonico, it's a big step forward IMO for our top 30 considering the next few prospects would include the above and Avery, Hoes, Berry, Berry, Delmonico (if signed), Wright, Narron, etc. Perhaps we are able to add more via trade, perhaps we become aware of another international prospect in our system or that we sign this year .... The organizational depth is coming back.

Oddly, we may not graduate ANYONE from this above names next season so we could add an entire draft class to the existing crop next season.

P.S. I try to look at the glass as half full. Clearly, there are quite a few minor league systems ahead of us.

Oddly, we may not graduate ANYONE from this above names next season so we could add an entire draft class to the existing crop next season.

This is exactly right. Our farm system could see a meteoric rise between 1) adding the 2011 class, 2) getting the 2010 class on the field 3) few real graduations (I'd think Klein/Schrader do next year) and 4) maybe even adding the 2012 class.

If so, by the end of 2012, we could have a studly looking top 10. I guess that's the timing for our next wave.

JJ told Tony today that Klein will most likely be converted to a starter next year. Still the plan.

Risk of move to bullpen/shoulder injury does mitigate his upside for me, though. He's behind B. Bundy.

Yea, well we will see about that.

I still say that if Klein comes up this year and is very good as a reliever, that he isn't going to be sent back down to start next year.

Yea, well we will see about that.

I still say that if Klein comes up this year and is very good as a reliever, that he isn't going to be sent back down to start next year.

I suppose it COULD happen, but with the injury now and the Orioles plans to stretch him out... How would they be able to do that at the big league level?

Archived