3rd Round - Mike Wright - RHP - East Carolina University

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he has a power arm and good stuff, I would like to see more K's in college.

As long as he got some sink I'm fine with the K numbers. Just pure numbers wise though he looks like a guy who might end up a power setup guy.

Unless the plan is making him a starter it seems like a reach to me.

I don't really understand comments like this one (not just yours, but several others). It's a reach when you pick a guy before you have to. What your plan for the guy is doesn't determine whether he is a reach or not. The other teams who might pick him have no idea what your plan for the guy is.

Yeah, if another team thought Wright could be a starter and would have taken him before the Orioles picked again, then the pick was not a reach.

Also, like this pick quite a bit. From what little I've seen, he's got a real heavy FB and throws hard with clean mechanics.

Yeah, if another team thought Wright could be a starter and would have taken him before the Orioles picked again, then the pick was not a reach.

Also, like this pick quite a bit. From what little I've seen, he's got a real heavy FB and throws hard with clean mechanics.

Was he the best SP prospect available?

I don't really understand comments like this one (not just yours, but several others). It's a reach when you pick a guy before you have to. What your plan for the guy is doesn't determine whether he is a reach or not. The other teams who might pick him have no idea what your plan for the guy is.

That shouldn't be a consideration. If someone's selling a Twix bar for 10 bucks and I buy it even though I think it's worth 50 cents because another guy was willing to pay $9, that's a reach. That's especially true in the case of the draft, because it's not like I'm starving and paying what I have to for the last Twix bar in the world - I'm standing in a candy store with a huge selection and range in terms of both price and value. I can easily find a similar chocolate bar that I value as much as the asking price.

Escaping the metaphor, the consensus (and I agree) is that Wright is not a 3rd round talent if you think he can't start. If we think he can start, I'm fine with it. If the O's took him with the assumption that he is probably a reliever down the road, I don't like the pick and think that "reach" describes it fairly.

Was he the best SP prospect available?

I can't say for sure and neither can you, unless you have some magical future vision. But if the Orioles had him rated close to the top and thought they could get the guys above him later, then I don't think it's a reach.

I can't say for sure and neither can you, unless you have some magical future vision. But if the Orioles had him rated close to the top and thought they could get the guys above him later, then I don't think it's a reach.

Well, we can play the "you can't tell the future" game all day long...if thats the case, then why not throw a dart at a board for every pick?

My point is, and this was something Stotle said, is that there were more sure thing SP prospects sitting there when we picked him.

Well, we can play the "you can't tell the future" game all day long...if thats the case, then why not throw a dart at a board for every pick?

My point is, and this was something Stotle said, is that there were more sure thing SP prospects sitting there when we picked him.

It's pretty clear that Jordan liked his combination of upside and probability more than the other guys. If he can pick a guy who throws mid-90's and have him end up as a starter, he's just pulled off a nice coup. He also picked him this high, likely, because he anticipated someone else jumping on him.

I'm not saying Jordan was right and Stotle/Law are wrong, but I'm betting Jordan thought the upside was worth the risk. Makes sense to me.

It's pretty clear that Jordan liked his combination of upside and probability more than the other guys. If he can pick a guy who throws mid-90's and have him end up as a starter, he's just pulled off a nice coup. He also picked him this high, likely, because he anticipated someone else jumping on him.

I'm not saying Jordan was right and Stotle/Law are wrong, but I'm betting Jordan thought the upside was worth the risk. Makes sense to me.

There is no question this is the case.

Its a combo of signability and JJ liking the player. There is no doubt about that.

The question is, was he correct in making this selection?

There is no question this is the case.

Its a combo of signability and JJ liking the player. There is no doubt about that.

The question is, was he correct in making this selection?

Compared to the 4th round selection, it looks very defensible. At least with Wright, we see a guy who absolutely brings it and gets ground balls, in theory. Profiles well in the AL East if everything goes as planned.

Archived