3rd Round - Mike Wright - RHP - East Carolina University

Sure, there might have been more sure things. But he's a prototypical Jordan pick, and a good talent to have in the system. And there really isn't much difference between a third-round talent and a fifth-round talent. We're not talking Kyle Hudson here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't help but picture Jim Johnson when I think of this guy, though it's hard to imagine that great movement. I wonder how much his stuff would play up out of the pen.

No reason not to start him until he runs into issues. I don't think it's a big ceiling, but the safety net of a solid arm in the pen is pretty great.

No reason not to start him until he runs into issues. I don't think it's a big ceiling, but the safety net of a solid arm in the pen is pretty great.

I'd start him too, until it becomes clear he can't start. His stuff seems to be pretty powerful, featuring a FB, Sinker and Slider. May not stick as a starter. Just like JJ, though like I said, the movement (and likely command, which JJ can't do with his power slider) may be different.

“I knew that I was going to get drafted pretty high, but the third round caught me by surprise,” said Wright, who was told by the Philadelphia Phillies they might pick him as early as the second round, and who admits he didn't know Baltimore was all that interested in him.

Sounds familiar.

If you conclude that the Phillies might have taken him with their third pick its probably not a reach. But we will never know :)

Just meant him having no clue BAL was in on him. Common theme. Every recent draftee I talked to in the spring said the same.

Just meant him having no clue BAL was in on him. Common theme. Every recent draftee I talked to in the spring said the same.

Sure ...Wasn't pressing you .... I was more commenting on the part of the thread where posters are asking if the pick was a reach...Sorry

Doesn't sound like a tough sign. Have to imagine he'll sign for slot and get into the system quickly. He also sounds like a reliever by his own definition of his stuff. According to him his out pitch was his fastball and his slider and change up need to improve. He also talked about wanting to get to the majors quickly so he doesn't sound like a guy who's wants to take the time it would take to become a starter. If he can dial it up to 97-MPH I say let's make this guy a power sinker-slider reliever and get him to the bigs quickly.

http://www.ballgametalk.com/2011/06/interview-with-former-east-carolina.html

Shane Miller: Is it true that you are going to sign your professional contract with the Baltimore Orioles?

Mike Wright: Yes sir it is.

Doesn't sound like a tough sign. Have to imagine he'll sign for slot and get into the system quickly. He also sounds like a reliever by his own definition of his stuff. According to him his out pitch was his fastball and his slider and change up need to improve. He also talked about wanting to get to the majors quickly so he doesn't sound like a guy who's wants to take the time it would take to become a starter. If he can dial it up to 97-MPH I say let's make this guy a fastball slider reliever and get him to the bigs quickly.

Shane Miller: Is it true that you are going to sign your professional contract with the Baltimore Orioles?

Tony, I agree with everything you said. Just make him a reliever now.

Yes, he will have more value as a starter and yes, as a third round pick, you would prefer him to be a starter but at the end of the day, he isn't likely going to make it as a starter. Get him signed, put him in the pen at Frederick and see what he can do.

Doesn't sound like a tough sign. Have to imagine he'll sign for slot and get into the system quickly. He also sounds like a reliever by his own definition of his stuff. According to him his out pitch was his fastball and his slider and change up need to improve. He also talked about wanting to get to the majors quickly so he doesn't sound like a guy who's wants to take the time it would take to become a starter. If he can dial it up to 97-MPH I say let's make this guy a power sinker-slider reliever and get him to the bigs quickly.

I agree. Ultimately that's where his future is, and he has more power stuff and a more shallow arsenal than a guy like Klein. Get him in the system and get this thing moving.

Archived