3rd Round - Mike Wright - RHP - East Carolina University

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? Do you think its a better idea to use a 2nd round pick on a Gonzo or Baez?

No...so what? I also don't think we should trade our 1st round pick for a kitten, or sacrifice our 8th rounder on an altar to raise the dark gods. That doesn't make me like drafting a reliever in the 3rd any more.

No...so what? I also don't think we should trade our 1st round pick for a kitten, or sacrifice our 8th rounder on an altar to raise the dark gods. That doesn't make me like drafting a reliever in the 3rd any more.

So how do you want them to build a bullpen?

To me a 3rd round pick that is close to ML ready and has a very good chance of contributing out of the pen is worth a 3rd round pick. It is not as if there are an abundance of 3rd round picks making a huge impact at the ML level.

I would also rather, if they decide his future is out of the pen, to have them fast track him rather then have him start for a few seasons, delaying his arrival in the majors and adding wear to his arm.

So how do you want them to build a bullpen?

To me a 3rd round pick that is close to ML ready and has a very good chance of contributing out of the pen is worth a 3rd round pick. It is not as if there are an abundance of 3rd round picks making a huge impact at the ML level.

I would also rather, if they decide his future is out of the pen, to have them fast track him rather then have him start for a few seasons, delaying his arrival in the majors and adding wear to his arm.

Draft starters, and then use them as relievers as a last resort. If the third pitch doesn't develop...if command stays shaky...if injuries take their toll...if there isn't enough endurance there for 200 IP. You can always use a starter in the bullpen, and their stuff will play up, but that's rarely true the other way. That's a big reason why relievers are far less valuable than starters. And drafting a guy who can only relieve is like taking your lotto winnings in Confederate money.

Draft starters, and then use them as relievers as a last resort. If the third pitch doesn't develop...if command stays shaky...if injuries take their toll...if there isn't enough endurance there for 200 IP. You can always use a starter in the bullpen, and their stuff will play up, but that's rarely true the other way. That's a big reason why relievers are far less valuable than starters. And drafting a guy who can only relieve is like taking your lotto winnings in Confederate money.

I agree in general but this guy was starting in college and the idea will be to put him in the bullpen so his stuff plays up like you said. So just make the switch right away and hope he flies through the system. With the money thats gonna go to Bundy I think the Orioles played it safe with the rest of the picks, but thats not necessarily bad if we can get some solid cheap relief in a hurry. Bundy is basically going to make or break this draft.

OK, how are you going to build the 2012, 2013 and 2014 Bullpens? Do you think the O's currently have enough arms ready to provide value in the pen over the next 3 seasons while your starters prove themselves incapable? I am not suggesting they burn a 3rd every year on bullpen arms but I see a need right now and it was a good time to pick up college arms.

A pick like Wright has a high chance of providing value at the major league level with a short turn around time. How many 3rd round starters manage that? I think either you are overestimating the value of a third round pick or I am underestimating it.

This is a very generic statement post. Who is to say that a starter with three or four pitches has the two plus pitches to become a good reliever? Who says which starters can kick it up to 95+ MPH in relief? I do not believe those who drafted Storen or Bard feel like they took a confederate $ haircut on the prospect they signed. As for the Os, Joe Jordan drafted Berken who had some good moments as a reliever and he draft Shrader who is dominating so far as a reliever.

You could have gotten a guy who was either a better starting pitching prospect or a higher upside reliever. Why go for the in between?

This I can't argue with.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of 3rd round talent. I would assume that they went where they did for cost reasons, which I don't agree with but its not my money to spend. No matter how much we fans might want it, the O's are not going to drop 12 million on the draft.

This is a very generic statement post. Who is to say that a starter with three or four pitches has the two plus pitches to become a good reliever? Who says which starters can kick it up to 95+ MPH in relief? I do not believe those who drafted Storen or Bard feel like they took a confederate $ haircut on the prospect they signed. As for the Os, Joe Jordan drafted Berken who had some good moments as a reliever and he draft Shrader who is dominating so far as a reliever.

I don't really understand your argument. Bard was a failed starter, and Storen was drafted as a reliever and was therefore a huge overdraft at #10 overall (#10!) except that he was an unprotected pick and the Nationals were going to be shelling out for Strasburg at #1. So basically, he was a safe, signable, cheap pick. Most draftees who profile exclusively in relief or have huge questions about their ability to start are. And that's exactly the kind of pick I don't want us to make. If the O's took an elite college reliever at #10, would you be happy with the pick? I can't imagine anyone saying yes.

I don't really understand your argument. Bard was a failed starter, and Storen was drafted as a reliever and was therefore a huge overdraft at #10 overall (#10!) except that he was an unprotected pick and the Nationals were going to be shelling out for Strasburg at #1. So basically, he was a safe, signable, cheap pick. Most draftees who profile exclusively in relief or have huge questions about their ability to start are. And that's exactly the kind of pick I don't want us to make. If the O's took an elite college reliever at #10, would you be happy with the pick? I can't imagine anyone saying yes.

If we were taking Strasburg at #1, then I would have no problem with Storen at #10. Of course I would rather see a player befitting that pick, so would every fan on here. But that is not the financial reality.

As far as this pick, he was written up well and the O's were not the only team on him. The Phillies, among a few others, are known to have liked him and his stock was rising. Let's just see what happens with him before we condemn the guy...before he even throws one pitch for the O's.

If we were taking Strasburg at #1, then I would have no problem with Storen at #10. Of course I would rather see a player befitting that pick, so would every fan on here. But that is not the financial reality.

As far as this pick, he was written up well and the O's were not the only team on him. The Phillies, among a few others, are known to have liked him and his stock was rising. Let's just see what happens with him before we condemn the guy...before he even throws one pitch for the O's.

I'm sure he's a good guy, a good prospect, and ten times the baseball player of any of us on here...I'm just saying that if a guy is probably going to be a reliever, don't take him in the third round.

I'm sure he's a good guy, a good prospect, and ten times the baseball player of any of us on here...I'm just saying that if a guy is probably going to be a reliever, don't take him in the third round.

I think your expectations are too high for a third round pick.

2010- Klein

2009-Givens (2) Townsend

2008- Avery (2) Hoes

None of the above players are a sure thing to make any impact on a ML roster. The one that has the best chance is Klein who was a reliever in college.

I am not sure what you think is available with the O's budget 94 picks in.

Archived