8th - John Ruettiger - CF - Arizona State University

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see (from reading, not scouting) potential good average, good plate discipline, great defense at a premium defensive position. In my mind, I'm thinking Brett Gardner lite. I love that skillset.

I think this is overstating things. More like potential to stick at a premium defensive position.

More like Trent Mummey lite than Brett Gardner lite.

Speaking for myself, a potential 4th OF is a nice get in the 8th round, no? I mean, if you aren't going the Yankees route and putting $600K down on high risk high reward in someone like Cave.

Absolutely, but if the guy is looking for significantly overslot then pass.

I've talked to so many baseball fans over the years and you'd be surprised how little most fans know about how baseball works in general. Sure, most people who frequent the OH know all about player development, scouting, and such, but most people don't understand why teams like the Pirates would trade away their best players like Jason Bay. I'd be surprised if more than a very small percentage of college baseball players know the player development reputation of major league systems.

If I just got drafted, I'd be damn thankful.

And then I'd do my due diligence to see what the franchise reputation is. I'd be checking out message boards and fan sites just like this. And if going back to school wouldn't necessarily hurt my chances of getting drafted equally as high or even higher next year, I wouldn't be in a rush to sign...especially if I'm drafted by a team like the Orioles who cannot develop anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing to me how talented a kid related to the real RUDY would be. that is, talented enough to be a good D1 Arizona State player and get drafted in the 8th round to a ML club

I say this only because the real RUDY (from the movie) was short and not very good at football but obviously had enormous heart.

It's amazing to me how talented a kid related to the real RUDY would be. that is, talented enough to be a good D1 Arizona State player and get drafted in the 8th round to a ML club

I say this only because the real RUDY (from the movie) was short and not very good at football but obviously had enormous heart.

Just because it is a pet peeve of mine. A guy on the ND Scout team was talented don't kid yourself. He did not have the body to play big time football, but they don't want to practice against guys that don't give a good look. Rudy was a star HS player without a doubt and the fact that he beat a D1 tackle twice in a row and a double team on one of the plays says a bunch about his "talent". Most folks have no concept of what it takes to strap it on at a big time college without any talent simply put you would get killed.

Speaking of the movie Rudy, can anyone watch the scene with dry eyes where the captain comes in and tells the coach that Rudy can have his jersey then all of the team follows? I don't care if the movie took some liberties with the truth, that scene alone made the movie a classic for me.

Archived