10th round - Tyler Wilson - RHP - University of Virginia

Wilson's night is done, as he exits with runners in scoring position with two outs in the 7th. Big start from the Senior righty.

EDIT:SS Chris Taylor tried to make a diving stop up the middle but the run scores.

Tyler Wilson's final line:

7 2/3 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K

In a huge elimination game. Exits to a standing O and chants from UVA fans. Curtain call. Great night.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I saw he was 88-90 with a some life. Curveball was getting a lot of swing and miss but it was an average pitch at best. Good 10th round pick though. Looks like a potential setup guy or Ryan Berry-lite...

From what I saw he was 88-90 with a some life. Curveball was getting a lot of swing and miss but it was an average pitch at best. Good 10th round pick though. Looks like a potential setup guy or Ryan Berry-lite...

Early he was 89-91, late he was 88-90. CB gets swings and misses but won't fool a ton in MLB. He's likely a reliever, where he can come out and chuck it low 90s and keep guys off balance with a solid CB and CH.

One thing I loved today was that he really commanded the fastball. He's come a long way from last season. Should make for a solid ML reliever.

Early he was 89-91, late he was 88-90. CB gets swings and misses but won't fool a ton in MLB. He's likely a reliever, where he can come out and chuck it low 90s and keep guys off balance with a solid CB and CH.

One thing I loved today was that he really commanded the fastball. He's come a long way from last season. Should make for a solid ML reliever.

I didn't see a change in the three innings I watched so I'll take your word on it. He'll need very good command, but I could see him in a middle relief/long man role. Not sure he has the velocity needed to be late in games but he could have a setup guy ceiling.

If nothing else, Tyler Wilson looks like a great pick for the 10th round and he has a real chance to contribute in the majors, whether as a swingman or a late-inning reliever.

On the other hand, after watching Dixon Anderson stink it up for Cal, I feel like the O's may have dodged a bullet when he decided not to sign last year as our 6th round pick. He probably has a better arm and stuff than Wilson, but he's not close to being as good of a "pitcher" as Wilson is. And Anderson's stats have always been very mediocre, whereas Wilson has put up some very impressive numbers this year in his first full year as a starter (he was primarily a reliever his first 3 years). The O's must have liked Anderson's size and arm (he supposedly throws a hard sinker), but to me there's not much else to like about him and I'm glad we didn't give in to his demands to be paid 3rd round money last year.

Sounds like Koji

During the Florida vs. South Carolina game right now, they just showed Tyler Wilson receiving the Lowe's Senior Class Award. Congratulations!!

They also mentioned that he was a 10th round draft pick of the Baltimore Orioles, but was going to end his baseball career and stay at Virginia for medical school.

Are you sure that's what was said? This article written yesterday on the senior class award website quotes him saying he would like to go to medical after his baseball career is done.

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/columns/view/the_right_things_matter_to_virginias_tyler_wilson/

“My dream as a child has always been to play pro baseball,” said Wilson, a 10th-round pick by the Orioles this June. “I’ve been blessed enough to have that opportunity, and that’s coming up here soon. I’m going to give that 120 percent every day that I can. But growing up, I thought it was important to establish another career option that I was in love with. I love the medical field. Knowing how directly Tommy John surgery is related to baseball, that seems like a perfect fit if that becomes an option down the line—to help put people back together, give them another chance to succeed.”

During the Florida vs. South Carolina game right now, they just showed Tyler Wilson receiving the Lowe's Senior Class Award. Congratulations!!

They also mentioned that he was a 10th round draft pick of the Baltimore Orioles, but was going to end his baseball career and stay at Virginia for medical school.

That's great for him to win that award, and it's also great that he was accepted to medical school, but how the heck do we not know these things before investing a top 10 pick on the guy? I know the hit rate of a tenth round pick is not high, but still, we need to add as much talent and depth as possible, so this seems strange if true.

EDIT: Thanks for the link, Blazer. I think Wilson has a chance to climb the ladder as a reliever, so he'd be nice depth for our system and potentially our major league bullpen. Glad to see he's interested in having a pro career before medical school.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/07/orioles-agree-with-10th-round-draft-pick.html

The Orioles have come to terms with their 10th-round draft pick, University of Virginia right-handed pitcher Tyler Wilson. He went 10-0 with an ERA of 2.24 this year as a senior for a Cavalier team that made the College World Series.

The Orioles have now signed six of their top 10 picks getting pitchers Mike Wright (round three), Kyle Simon (round four), Matt Taylor (round five), Trent Howard (round seven) and Devin Jones (round nine) along with Wilson. They have come to terms with 15 picks overall.

Archived