Loving the bullpen arms

It looks like the O's are doing what I have wished for a few years now, making a concerted effort to stockpile relief pitching in the draft.

In my opinion over the last 10 years or so the O's have allocated more resources towards free agent relief pitchers, with worse results, then any other expenditure.

This draft might not look exciting right now but hopefully the O's are stocking up guys to put into the pen for the next six seasons or so.

I long for the offseason where a Baez, a Gonzo, a Gregg is not needed. Give me a half dozen guys making the league minimum and not costing compensation picks.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't do it early in a deep draft when better talent is sitting there.

I would rather give up a third for someone price controlled for 3-4 years then give up a second for two years of Gonzo.

Hopefully they do it right this year then they can just do maintenance down the line in future drafts. I certainly wouldn't recommend being this reliever heavy every draft.

Come on, honestly do you know if any of those guys sitting out there after say the 4th/5th round are really better talent or not? It's a different strategy, but it's not a horrible one. Get some advanced arms with less risk and see if some pan out. The money we should save on our BP over the next couple years could be redirected to signing those big middle of the order players you'd love to see...just sayin'.

This seems a little simplistic. Obviously, in general, you draft the most talented players first. But with the high school kids especially, you need to look at the risk that they will elect to go to college, and/or the risk that they will only turn professional if you pay them way out of proportion to comparable talents. So, I can see taking a low-risk college guy over a more talented high school kid who is seen as being a high risk not to sign.

Come on, honestly do you know if any of those guys sitting out there after say the 4th/5th round are really better talent or not? It's a different strategy, but it's not a horrible one. Get some advanced arms with less risk and see if some pan out. The money we should save on our BP over the next couple years could be redirected to signing those big middle of the order players you'd love to see...just sayin'.

After the 4th or 5th round is fine...But the earlier rounds should have been higher ceiling guys IMO.

Given our pathetic position talent, I disagree.

Unless somehow, some way AM is actually going to buy the bats. But I just don't see it. We've heard the rumors that Baltimore has money to spend next year (or at this years deadline), but is having the money to spend enough to inspire AM to be aggressive enough to do what it takes to get deals done?

If the answer is no, this draft has been an epic fail.

After the 4th or 5th round is fine...But the earlier rounds should have been higher ceiling guys IMO.

I like the Espinosa pick, but I'm not real sure about Wright or the other kid. I said in my shadow I would have taken Oropesa and N. Ramirez personally, but I think they are watching the budget. Means to an end right? Build the BP in this year that is deep for college arms, and next year stock up on high ceiling HS players.

I like the Espinosa pick, but I'm not real sure about Wright or the other kid. I said in my shadow I would have taken Oropesa and N. Ramirez personally, but I think they are watching the budget. Means to an end right? Build the BP in this year that is deep for college arms, and next year stock up on high ceiling HS players.

Not that targeting players is a good idea, but I sure would like to see a high-ceiling outfielder in our system. I wish Bell fell to us (not that we would have taken him).

Not that targeting players is a good idea, but I sure would like to see a high-ceiling outfielder in our system. I wish Bell fell to us (not that we would have taken him).

Normally I'd say yeah, spend whatever and do it, but I've heard from some people in the know that say there is like a .5% chance Bell signs. A couple GMs have been burned by those kids sending letters like that, and they won't touch them. They'll send a letter out like that as a bluff or whatever, and then rescind them later, then when things get tough in 2-3 years, they quit, take their 6-figure contracts and school tuition and go back to school.

This draft feels a lot like 2007 to me when the draft boiled down to Wieters and Arrieta.

This draft is all about Bundy and Esposito, but we've added DelMonico as another potential $M guy.

I hope JJ is able to pull off a few HS $250k-$700k signings with these later picks and scoop up some Bridwells, Berrys, etc.

We'll have to see how much Bundy signs for before getting critical, IMO.

If the number is $6.5M or above and we also sign Esposito and DelMonico, then I'm okay with the total spend - at first glance.

We'll see how much the rest of the league spends.

This draft feels a lot like 2007 to me when the draft boiled down to Wieters and Arrieta.

This draft is all about Bundy and Esposito, but we've added DelMonico as another potential $M guy.

I hope JJ is able to pull off a few HS $250k-$700k signings with these later picks and scoop up some Bridwells, Berrys, etc.

We'll have to see how much Bundy signs for before getting critical, IMO.

If the number is $6.5M or above and we also sign Esposito and DelMonico, then I'm okay with the total spend - at first glance.

We'll see how much the rest of the league spends.

Looks like our division is planning on spending $10m plus each. I think Esposito won't be too expensive, but DelMonico (is anyone else having trouble not picturing a thick juicy steak when you say his name? Maybe I'm just hungry) is going to be $1.5 easy I think.

Perhaps this draft is about adding depth overall and maybe Wright and Simon are BP guys. I think there are a few higher end guys mixed in there to be happy with if we can sign them.

Along with Bundy, Esposito and Delmonico, I like the #5 pick Matt Taylor LHP. Had a lost freshman season at Alabama and transferred for whatever the reason. Rebounded with a very solid sophomore season in a Georgia JC.

Devin Jones, Jason Coats, Mark Blackmar, Brad Roney, Adam Matthews, and Zach Davies all appear to have significant upside.

Archived