Loving the bullpen arms

I completely agree. Anyone who looks at this draft after the top 3 names, doesn't think we adjusted our picks based on cost first, isn't paying attention or is just swimming for hope in a pool of orange cool-aid. How do you think we go to the point where our MiL system is now? The money players that have been int he system awhile have graduated. Most of the other money players are doing well at the level they are currently at. Do we have any slot money prospects that are exceeding their expectation?
We basically took 2 players, it seems, that will be tough signs in the top 10 picks.

One of them is Bundy, who they will sign...the other is Delmonico.

Now, don't get me wrong..I am not saying the only players that should be drafted are tough signs...But what I am saying is the team should have drafted a few more higher ceiling players.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's fine, and I don't disagree. I actually REALLY like a number of picks after round 5. But if ever there was a year you could go to MLB and say, "Look, we need to give out these overslot bonuses to keep up with our division this draft," this was it. As far as executing a draft plan, I think BAL did a fine job. But I strongly disagree with the strategy we saw after Round 2.

Yea, I think that is what people need to realize here...We are talking about what, 2-4 picks at most?

Yea, I think that is what people need to realize here...We are talking about what, 2-4 picks at most?

Honestly, one pick. Taking Dillon Howard in the 2nd and then maybe a different power/college bat in the third round. Punt on Wright (who I think would have been around until Rd 4) and add Howard.

If BAL had walked away with Bundy/Howard they would have had a claim for the best 2-player draft around. We knew that BAL would not be able to keep up with divisional rivals with tons of extra picks, but it would have been nice to take a big stab to show they were doing their best to keep pace. I mean, Norris dropped due to a $3.5+ MM bonus demand, and the team who ends up selecting him is Toronto, who clearly has a number of high-priced kids already taken on Day 1.

I think we are going to see the Blue Jays really commit to signing a bunch, like a majority, of their early picks. They are really pushing hard with the idea that they are going to compete with BOS/NYA/TAM by bringing in more amatuer talent than anyone else.

Honestly, one pick. Taking Dillon Howard in the 2nd and then maybe a different power/college bat in the third round. Punt on Wright (who I think would have been around until Rd 4) and add Howard.

If BAL had walked away with Bundy/Howard they would have had a claim for the best 2-player draft around. We knew that BAL would not be able to keep up with divisional rivals with tons of extra picks, but it would have been nice to take a big stab to show they were doing their best to keep pace. I mean, Norris dropped due to a $3.5+ MM bonus demand, and the team who ends up selecting him is Toronto, who clearly has a number of high-priced kids already taken on Day 1.

I think we are going to see the Blue Jays really commit to signing a bunch, like a majority, of their early picks. They are really pushing hard with the idea that they are going to compete with BOS/NYA/TAM by bringing in more amatuer talent than anyone else.

Would have loved Howard/Norris 2nd and Oropesa in the 3rd personally.

I'll be stunned if the Jays sign both Norris and Beedle, almost as stunned as I'll be if the Pirates sign both Cole and Bell. If you have a bunch of extra picks you can afford to take a few risks with guys who might not sign. Without the extra picks you've got to get players into the system.

The success rate for even high draft picks is so small, except of the real premium players draftees aren't really worth 3.5+ MM. The reality is there's a better chance that he wont make the majors than he does, and even if he makes it, there's only an incredibly small chance he turns into a star.

Would have loved Howard/Norris 2nd and Oropesa in the 3rd personally.

And that is definitely better than Wright and Esposito. I just do not believe that they had the duo they selected rated higher than the duo you just said.

Draft those 2 and still get Delmonico, and sign them all, and the draft looks like a home run IMO.

I'll be stunned if the Jays sign both Norris and Beedle, almost as stunned as I'll be if the Pirates sign both Cole and Bell. If you have a bunch of extra picks you can afford to take a few risks with guys who might not sign. Without the extra picks you've got to get players into the system.

The success rate for even high draft picks is so small, except of the real premium players draftees aren't really worth 3.5+ MM. The reality is there's a better chance that he wont make the majors than he does, and even if he makes it, there's only an incredibly small chance he turns into a star.

But they give you depth and allow you to make deals for players you need at the ML level.

That's fine, and I don't disagree. I actually REALLY like a number of picks after round 5. But if ever there was a year you could go to MLB and say, "Look, we need to give out these overslot bonuses to keep up with our division this draft," this was it. As far as executing a draft plan, I think BAL did a fine job. But I strongly disagree with the strategy we saw after Round 2.

So basically, it's rounds 3-5 that you have an issue with. Without knowing as much as you know about the talent, I tend to agree with you. With three division rivals having so many supplemental picks, I really think we should have invested in 1-2 more high upside guys. The only thing I don't know is whether Jordan just has a very different opinion about the guys he drafted in those rounds than others do.

So basically, it's rounds 3-5 that you have an issue with. Without knowing as much as you know about the talent, I tend to agree with you. With three division rivals having so many supplemental picks, I really think we should have invested in 1-2 more high upside guys. The only thing I don't know is whether Jordan just has a very different opinion about the guys he drafted in those rounds than others do.

I'd add the Delmonico pick as another one I have an issue with. I highly doubt Baltimore signs both Bundy and him. I can't imagine a scenario where Bundy doesn't sign, so I think Delmonico is really just an insurance grab. "Maybe he comes down from the asking price, and if he doesn't we'll throw the asking price at him if it looks like the Bundy talks fall apart."

I think the Orioles nailed the later-single to early-double digit rounds (in as much as you can "nail" those rounds). I REALLY like what they did there.

And that is definitely better than Wright and Esposito. I just do not believe that they had the duo they selected rated higher than the duo you just said.

Draft those 2 and still get Delmonico, and sign them all, and the draft looks like a home run IMO.

Yeah I don't either, I just really honestly think it came down to money, which is part of why Jordan said we'd talk about that after we get our player signed. Like Tony said in the other thread, he's not going to say much that would affect negotiations, so you aren't going to find out anything for a while. It ties in to what Buck said last night, if you could have a game changer at the top of the draft for years to come, would you punt the other 49 picks for him? I think they are alluding to Bundy needing a lot of money to sign, and they spent heavy there so they went cheaper the rest of the draft. I will call this draft a success for Bundy alone, BUT if they sign Delmonico by some miracle, and that kid from TCU I'll be a much bigger fan. (of course not as much as if they would have drafted the 2 and 3 pick I really wanted ;))

When Stoner interviewed JJ, Jordan told him that the team allocates him the money he feels he needs(I believe that's what he said).

I don't think that's true...its also why I don't buy that he had Hobgood #1 on his board(#1 of who was left). He may say that but it has more to do with him wanting to keep his job IMO.

All of that being said, I would love to know why the Orioles don't place enough emphasis on the draft and amateur talent in general yet they think its smart to spend in FA in the way that they do.

When Stoner interviewed JJ, Jordan told him that the team allocates him the money he feels he needs(I believe that's what he said).

I don't think that's true...its also why I don't buy that he had Hobgood #1 on his board(#1 of who was left). He may say that but it has more to do with him wanting to keep his job IMO.

All of that being said, I would love to know why the Orioles don't place enough emphasis on the draft and amateur talent in general yet they think its smart to spend in FA in the way that they do.

Didn't it also come out later that they said they had Hobgood #1 but it was important to them to have someone that would sign quickly and didn't have crazy demands? I thought I remember that. Didn't say Hobgood was #1 BECAUSE of those things, but I thought it was at least heavily alluded to that they were looking for a quick sign.

Good cheap bullpen arms can be traded for nuggets think Hoey, Mickilio, Other Minn arm (forgot his name), and Hernandez (tough to let him go) for Hardy, and Reynolds. Bartlett was also traded by TB for a collection of BP arms. They can also serve as replacements so you can trade valuable BP arms like Sherrill for position prospects (Bell) at the trade deadline.

I won't throw my arms up about the draft. I see the strategy, I'm just not sure I agree with much of it. I had Rendon higher up top, but I won't argue with Bundy. They got their guy and he won't be cheap. Esposito in the second round is perplexing to me. We didn't have a single pick between 4 and 64, and they turned to an okay college bat that could possibly have slipped into the third. Esposito likely would have been grabbed in the late second round, but there were other similarly talented college bats that were clearly going to be available at the top of the third. I really think JJ should have been aggressive with a HS P overslot pick in round two and then grabbed a college bat in round three followed by the slew of college arms. Esposito is not a reach pick at all, he's justifiable at that slot, but for a team in Baltimore's drafting position I think they should have gone bigger with upside there.

They selected Delmonico in the 6th which means they are willing to try to ink another overslot, but they should have just grabbed a better player in round two. Delmonico is asking for nearly as much as some of the more talented HS pitchers available at 2:4.

I do really like some of the other selections, in particular Kyle Simon (6th), Tyler Wilson (10th) and Jason Coats (12th). Coats might end up with a better bat than Esposito's when all is said and done.

I need some time to digest all the picks, but it's looking like a solid B grade draft right now.

Archived