AM not looking for Yankees Big 3 in Tejada Trade

O no

Is there BA Top 10 out yet?!

I'm another that thinks Melky is yet another NY/Bos prospect that would not be so hyped ANYWHERE else...

I watched many Yankees games and I know pretty much about Melky. He is a very streaky hitter but most of the time he is an automatic out. He has a pretty good eye and a fantastic arm but really he doesnt have that much upside than what we have already seen.

I believe most of his numbers even went down this past year. Do we really need a .275 hitter than hits about 10 HR's? I dont think so

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JTrea81

You're right; he's looked very good.Problem is, Tejada's one of the very few decent things we have to trade. We HAVE to get something back.Trading for someone in A ball is terribly risky even if they're very good.

I wan't more of a sure thing-somebody with success at the ML level or in the high minors. Austin Jackson and Tabata are low minors kids-3 years away-if they make it at all. That's a long time to watch them and pray that someone doesn't find out they can't hit the high fastball or the low slder.

I understand your thought process, but Tejada is NOT the player he was and comes with a certain risk... namely making a successful switch to third base.

I agree that under better conditions we should try to get an AA or AAA prospect over an A one, but Horne may be ML ready and Jackson should star in AA this year. We can wait on Wieters and Rowell, et al, why not Jackson and Horne?

Truth is that I just don't see Miggy's value high enough to do any better.

JTrea81 He's in A ball; so's Jackson.I mean, Brandon Erbe looked like Clemens in A ball till the middle of last year than he vanished.

It's not the time we have to wait till these guys are ready; it's the danger in trying to project someone that far away that makes me think we s/b looking at someone a lot closer.

Erbe was a HS pitcher and nearly a full year younger than Jackson when they were drafted. He was pitching as a 17 YO pro, and his "Clemens season" was in A ball as an 18 YO. There are no projections for 17-18 YO pitchers.

Between his time at Tampa and in the HWL, Jackson will have 400 PA this year at the A+ level as a 20 YO CFer. Big difference. There is still some risk, but if he does at AA what he did at High A this year, he will much harder to pry loose.

If he in the O's system, he would have passed Rowell by now, and starting CF OD 09 would not be an outlandish expectation..

I understand your thought process, but Tejada is NOT the player he was and comes with a certain risk... namely making a successful switch to third base.

I agree that under better conditions we should try to get an AA or AAA prospect over an A one, but Horne may be ML ready and Jackson should star in AA this year. We can wait on Wieters and Rowell, et al, why not Jackson and Horne?

Truth is that I just don't see Miggy's value high enough to do any better.

I agree with you. I have no problem taking guys with high upside in A ball. I would rather have Jackson than Cabrera any day.

My point is that if we aren't getting anything mlb ready (ie Melky) or a stud who is close (Kennedy or Joba), then we BETTER be getting several of the 2nd tiered guys.

The farther away a prospect is (ie Tabata) the more risk he carries. Therefore we need to mitigate that risk by getting more players.

The only risk Tejada carries in my opinion is the injury risk that every player carries to an extent.

Ex-

Melky, Horne, Jackson

or

Chamberlin, Horne (or Jackson)

or

Jackson, Horne, Tabata, Ramirez

I agree with you. I have no problem taking guys with high upside in A ball. I would rather have Jackson than Cabrera any day.

My point is that if we aren't getting anything mlb ready (ie Melky) or a stud who is close (Kennedy or Joba), then we BETTER be getting several of the 2nd tiered guys.

The farther away a prospect is (ie Tabata) the more risk he carries. Therefore we need to mitigate that risk by getting more players.

The only risk Tejada carries in my opinion is the injury risk that every player carries to an extent.

Ex-

Melky, Horne, Jackson

or

Chamberlin, Horne (or Jackson)

or

Jackson, Horne, Tabata, Ramirez

We are pretty much in agreement, except that we see Tejada's value differently. I cannot fathom the Yanks giving us that much. But you know what? I hope you are closer to being right than I am! :D

I would insist upon Jose Tabata being included in a Tejada deal.

If we're not going to get a frontline starter, we need a future stud position player and Tabata fits the bill.

Anyone who rips into Tabata has to realize he's very young. He's a better bet for stardom than Pie, in my estimation.

As for this Melky Cabrera BS, it's got to stop.

If we settle for Cabrera instead of Tabata, someone needs to rough MacPhail up....

:mad:

Here's how a NY Post writer described the Yankees interest in Tejada:

There were some rumblings the Yankees were interested in Tejada. But a person familiar with their thinking called that highly doubtful. Tejada has some association with the ongoing steroid investigation and the Yanks already have lived - unhappily - dealing with Jason Giambi. In addition, the Yanks are badly trying to avoid expensive, thirty-somethings that already are in decline. And, perhaps most important, the Yanks feel they have to emphasize defense at the position because they are trying to break in young starters and because they recognize that Derek Jeter's shortstop range has become so limited. They cannot be sure that Tejada can even make the transition from short to third.

I'd say the NY Post guy hit a homerun on that one.

Yankee fan here who is pro-acquiring Tejada. But first things first, I don't think we are going to see anything happen on this soon at all, not until the WinterMeetings or maybe after. The Yankees are going to test the waters for a frontline starter first, rumor about Peavy yesterday, and probably wait to see what happens in the Santana sweepstakes.

I also would not be shocked for the Yankees to jump back in on ARod as it seems he may not have many suitors at the moment, and with the market being flooded with lower cost 3rd base options.

Rotoworld says Horne doesn't project as more than a #4 starter. Is that about right? How do the 2 OF prospects project?

VEry good prospects but not that close yet....4/5 starter for Horne sounds about right.

But if you can get the other 2 top young guys and Farnsworth, who potentially could end up being traded or even kept for the draft picks, it would be a good move.

Just make Farsnworth the closer and get that artificial saves category up. It is a potentially smart way of getting more for Miggy.

VEry good prospects but not that close yet....4/5 starter for Horne sounds about right.

But if you can get the other 2 top young guys and Farnsworth, who potentially could end up being traded or even kept for the draft picks, it would be a good move.

Just make Farsnworth the closer and get that artificial saves category up. It is a potentially smart way of getting more for Miggy.

If those OF guys project as future "good ML OFers", then I'm fine with that deal for sure. I don't like Farnsworth a lot, but I'd do Millar for him. And, the other 3 for Miggy is a nice deal if those 2 guys can really hit.

Farnsworth's been mediocre to bad in 3 of the past 4 years, and we want to make him our closer? If you think that Melky's not good enough to be a central part of a deal, then why this guy? I'd rather get Edwar Ramirez from them; he's got phenomenal stuff judging by his k rates, and he's a lot younger.

Archived