AM not looking for Yankees Big 3 in Tejada Trade

O no

I just remarked in the other thread - but I'll say something similar here.

Melky essentially allows us to not re-sign Patterson (saving money) while also avoiding the risk that we get absolutely nothing for Tejada (he's no longer a prospect, and is pretty much a lock to be at least average w/ solid defense for us as a CFer.)

By lending any trade that kind of predictability - by, essentially, offering a serious hedge against the risk inherent in dealing for prospects - Melky lets us go for a low-minors/high-ceiling guy like Tabata or Jackson.

Even if the prospect we pick up doesn't pan out, we're guaranteed avoiding another "nothing to show for the trade" scenario.

If with the third person, we get either Horne or Farnsworth (I'd guess the latter is more likely) then so much the better.

There needs to be three components to any trade, though: one low risk that addresses a need; one high-ceiling; and one flier.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melky essentially allows us to not re-sign Patterson (saving money) while also avoiding the risk that we get absolutely nothing for Tejada (he's no longer a prospect, and is pretty much a lock to be at least average w/ solid defense for us as a CFer.)

By lending any trade that kind of predictability - by, essentially, offering a serious hedge against the risk inherent in dealing for prospects - Melky lets us go for a low-minors/high-ceiling guy like Tabata or Jackson.

Even if the prospect we pick up doesn't pan out, we're guaranteed avoiding another "nothing to show for the trade" scenario.

If with the third person, we get either Horne or Farnsworth (I'd guess the latter is more likely) then so much the better.

There needs to be three components to any trade, though: one low risk that addresses a need; one high-ceiling; and one flier.

I totally agree and stated something similar yesterday.

I would forgo a "proven" flier on Farnsworth and go for two "riskier" fliers- along the lines of Eric Duncan (flopped prospect who is young enough to rebound) and Sanchez (coming off TJ surgery).

On the other hand: a package of Melky Cabrera, Jackson, Duncan, Sanchez for Tejada seems to be a bit much.

Who knows ? Maybe NY is willing to give that much up rather than give up one of Kennedy/Chamberlin/Hughes. ?????

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Yanks get:

Tejada

Hernandez

O's Get:

Tabata

Jackson

Farnsworth

Duncan

is that close?

i dont think we'd get melky if were were also getting jackson and tabata. i rather take the latter anyway, if we could also get farnsarelli and duncan

Well, if you're going to speculate a trade with the Yankees, it must start with MLCab as he is the only guy rumored in a Tejada trade...

This is where I am also.... prefer a Cubs deal.. but it's nice to have options..

I am not so sure about that...Tabata or Jackson may be right there with Pie in a year or 2....Plus, we get Melky who may be above average.

And I wouldn't poo poo the idea of Farnsworth...If he can rack up 30-40 saves this year, he can probably get us at least one draft pick and maybe trade him at the deadline if he is pitching very well.

Again, I like the idea of getting him because it may maximize the amount of players you get for Tejada.

I don't think Tabata is coming back. Therefore I would ask for:

Austin Jackson

Melky Cabrera

One of Alan Horne / Lee Gardner / Eric Duncan / Farnsworth

In the end I think a Jackson/Cabrera/Farnsworth deal is very good.

Would you rather have this package or a Pie/Cedeno/Marshall type deal?

Archived