Catch Orioles College Draftees in the Super Regional Tournament this Weekend

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason Esposito has really struggled to pick up on the slider tonight. He poked a GB single the other way in his first at bat, but was carved up by the slider in his next two at bats, striking out swinging with some flails. He'll need to tighten that up.

I stepped out to grab a few things from the store, and I apparently missed Jason Esposito hit a 2-run HR as part of Vandy's impressive 11 run (and counting) attack against OSU. Very nice!

That was a very smooth swing, a homer to left-center field that went about 385 feet or so.

I'd love to hear from someone with knowledge on the subject to comment on how they thought Espo's bat speed looked tonight.

Russ - I don't have specific knowledge, I could look up some articles but i'm going to bed, sorry. I know I heard that they've had a significant impact on homers in the college game this year, and that it's supposed to help scouts significantly in terms of projecting who can make the transition to wood. I'm sure RVA, Hoosiers & Stotle could shed much more light on it.

Can someone clue me in on how much impact the new college bats have had and how much it may help in judging how a hitter will make the transition to wood bats?

They've definitely decreased offensive production. Offense is down in general, and (recalling a stat I saw from memory yesterday) HR rates are down about 35-40%.

As far as how it may help in judging hitters, that's stickier. We won't know for sure for a few more seasons. It's tough to infer which hitters have been more affected and which hitters are just having down seasons.

They've definitely decreased offensive production. Offense is down in general, and (recalling a stat I saw from memory yesterday) HR rates are down about 35-40%.

As far as how it may help in judging hitters, that's stickier. We won't know for sure for a few more seasons. It's tough to infer which hitters have been more affected and which hitters are just having down seasons.

Yeah I think CJ Cron was one of the FEW I can think of that wasn't really impacted too much. He says they feel the same, but there just isn't as much jump off the bat.

Devin Jones just completed 3 shutout innings in the rubber game of their Super Regional game against Florida.

Huge, huge spot. Mississippi St. has surprised everyone and Jones played a big part of that. Now they have to hold it. Great game.

Archived