Callis really likes Orioles draft

"They got the best pitcher in the draft and depth after that," Callis said. "They got tremendous quality and quantity. There's an expression that every scouting director tells every GM on draft day they had the best draft in baseball. But I think this is a very good draft for the Orioles. It has the makings of a terrific draft. We won't know for a few years for sure but on paper it looks very good."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/06/baseball-americas-jim-callis-gives-the-orioles-high-marks-on-the-draft.html

Just shows you how much subjectivity there is to all this. We'll see in a few years.

I don't know, I think most people who were well versed in the class think it was a solid draft. I've been nitpicking about things I would have done differently (IE went for higher ceiling earlier and grabbed safe bats and arms that would have slipped into later rounds). But Baltimore took an elite talent at the top, added some nice depth and selected a few intriguing college names. Like I said, I'm leaning toward giving it a solid B, though I want to parse a little more through the list.

Last year, I thought, was a pretty good year for us. Machado, Klein, Schrader and Mummey all seem to be guys that are going to charge through our system. The jury's out on Bridwell and Narron, but supposedly they are pretty awesome players as well. In the past we've been lucky to get maybe one or two guys from the draft to a full time gig with the O's-- I'm feeling good about last years draft.

In b4 "It's too early"

At first glance, I thought this draft was similar to 2007, where we had a couple of nice selections at the top, and then went college-heavy with limited upside IMO. After looking at the final product, I think we did a decent job of adding valuable pieces even though I was hoping for a little more wow factor in rounds 2-5.

Not much else needs to be said about Bundy, the guy's a stud. I really like Esposito, and I'll be rooting for him as a Vandy guy. I think he's got a great chance at being our everyday 3rd baseman. Outside of these two, I think we've adding some solid pitching depth and we'll got a lot of MLB contributions from this draft IMO.

Overall, a think a good amount of the strength of this draft depends on whether or not we can lock down Delmonico, Coats, and a couple of the tougher overslot arms that we picked.

I don't know, I think most people who were well versed in the class think it was a solid draft. I've been nitpicking about things I would have done differently (IE went for higher ceiling earlier and grabbed safe bats and arms that would have slipped into later rounds). But Baltimore took an elite talent at the top, added some nice depth and selected a few intriguing college names. Like I said, I'm leaning toward giving it a solid B, though I want to parse a little more through the list.

It is clearly too early to call, but I am a bit surprised to read the quotes we are seeing on Bundy. There appears to be tremendous, tremendous potential there. Bundy is going to cost a pretty penny - likely between $5.5M and $8+M. The $8M may be more than some teams draft spend this year. Our draft is 90% all about Bundy and that is a big part of Callis' enthusiasm, IMO - which appears to be a bit more emphatic than in prior years.

I know most here clamor for more and more $ to be spent each year and our FO as done a good job of ramping up the draft spent - without being cheap at the top of the draft usually (Matusz, Wieters and Machado were top $) and with setting aside $ for additional spend above slot. Esposito is a very solid pick and Delmonico would be a huge signing - though I am skeptical that gets done. The key thing here is that the Os ARE spending more. Think back five years ago and our hope AM would expand our draft budget for overslot signings and he has come through in spades. We had a similar draft in 2007 that was really all about Wieters and Arrieta and we are going to blow that spend away - both in terms of overall $ and overslot signings. That's solid progress. If some want it faster, that's fine.

I think some of the criticism is also rooted in the fact that several teams in our division accumulated so many picks and those teams drafted talent in line with those picks. Is that a surprise to anyone? Did anyone assume Boston would NOT have a great draft? This is not Joe Jordan's fault and his selections should be judged on their own merits - not relative to the other teams in our division. I think, on a pick by pick basis, this draft will turn out just fine - but it's really about a heathy Bundy getting to the major leagues in two years and leading our 2014 rotation with Britton, Matusz, Bundy and Arrieta - also know as BBBAM!

I'm very happy to see Calllis is so complimentary of our draft. Obviously Bundy's success will be the key, but Callis clearly thinks there is more here. As I posted in the Orioles All-Time Draft Thread, we've had a few drafts that produced two 20+ WAR players (Murray and Flanagan, Ripken and Boddicker, possibly Roberts and Bedard), and some that produced four players who had long major league careers. Maybe this will be one of them.

Dont forget, assuming he's signed, there is a strong liklihood that there would be two Bundy's in that rotation..Bob/Dylan Bundy...the story goes that Dylan Bundy looked Joe Jordan in the eye and said"Mr. Jordan, I want to pitch for the Baltimore Orioles with my brother Bobby". When is the last time two young brothers were part of a starting rotation? I dont count the REUSCHEL brothers..only Rick was great..but both were older and out of shape. I might have to go back to the Deans...Dizzy and Daffy...I could LOVE this team with that kind of pitching talent..Matusz, Britton, Bundy, Arrieta, Bundy, and maybe Begy...so you have.... BBBBAM!!!!VERY NICE Killer B's in big B...Has a nice ring to it....

I'm stealing that.. :D

Jered Weaver and Jeff Weaver pitched together on the Angels in 2006. Well, sort of. Jeff started the year in the rotation, and when he got injured, Jered was called up to replace him. Then when Jeff came off the DL, Jered was sent back down, even though he was pitching much better than Jeff.

Eventually they had a couple of turns in the same rotation before Jeff was released.

Archived