Question on when kids get cut.

After a draft of 50 rounds we usually sign most of them. At least 75%.

Well how long do we let them go before a decision is made? Do any kids show up and get cut right away?

What is an average length that a signed player stays in an organization before they get cut? One year, two years, five years?

Sometimes the Orioles cut bait with players the summer they sign them. Auburn Donaldson was an example of this last draft.

Sometimes guys like Kieron Pope (I think we got him 2005?)... he's still kicking around in Delmarva for whatever reason. Miguel Abreu is also an old draft pick that hasn't really been close to touching the majors, but has stuck around for a long time with the O's.

You know that is one job I don't think I would like. Having to tell kids their dream is over. I imagine minor league managers get that job right? Multiple times a year you have to do it.

I guess Stockstill is the decider on average talent?

I would think MacPhail decides on higher draft picks, the ones we have real money in?

Several kids will get cut out of spring camp next year. As Enjoy Terror mentioned, Auburn Donaldson (and I believe one or two others) were cut this spring before ever getting into a game in 2011. That was a tough one for me, as I grew close to his father in camp and thought Auburn (who goes by Joseph) showed well considering his overall talent level at draft. If anything, a fast, athletic kid who could stand anywhere in the infield in the low minors and help fill out rosters. But, every director has his reasons for the cuts.

As far as how the decision is made, Stockstill gets together with coaches, instructors, and scouts regularly through camp to discuss how the rosters are shaping up and who isn't quite fitting. I'm assuming that any decision to cut bait has to be run by at least Andy MacPhail, if not Joe Jordan as well, before becoming finalized.

Very tough job, indeed, however many of these kids know they are giving it a shot in the dark.

You know that is one job I don't think I would like. Having to tell kids their dream is over. I imagine minor league managers get that job right? Multiple times a year you have to do it.

I guess Stockstill is the decider on average talent?

I would think MacPhail decides on higher draft picks, the ones we have real money in?

Pretty sure they leave that for the overlords... :D

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/06/os-have-already-come-to-terms-with-some-draft-picks.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

With the Orioles dropping their Bluefield affiliate and one Dominican Summer League team after last year, Jordan said, that would have an impact on this draft.

"We are not going to sign near as many players as we have the last few years. There's no need to. We are going to be able to concentrate our assets where we want to. We won't have to fill rosters near to the extent that we have in the past," he said.

I don't know what the numbers are from last season but I would assume we will be closer to 30 players this year than 40.

Archived