Hardy or Reyes?

JTrea81

Now, come on, really? He wouldn't listen to me regardless of what I wrote because it doesn't support his agenda and you know it. Whatever, mea culpa. You're right. JTrea just wants to have a good debate in hopes that he learns something. He routinely acknowledges new points of view and exhibits reason in all areas of debate. It is my lack of ability to support my point that will prevent him from possibly changing his mind.

I'm just teasing. Really...

I just can't go there so I withdraw the post in its entirety.

It's sort of weird that you're so protective of the guy's reputation but you're fine with making vague unsubstantiated accusations and letting everyone's imaginations run wild.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His leg injuries are problematic, as were Griffeys. Also he tends to play hard when he feels like it. Low baseball IQ.

Kinda sweeping statements here. I tend to feel guys like Reyes who are beset by injuries often get labeled as "play hard when they feel like it" when instead it is a direct byproduct of injury.

Kinda sweeping statements here. I tend to feel guys like Reyes who are beset by injuries often get labeled as "play hard when they feel like it" when instead it is a direct byproduct of injury.
I live in Washington Hieghts where Reyes lived, and have watched more than my share of Mets games, as well as talked to more than my share of Mets fans. It not just his injuries.

I love Hardy. I'd rather have him at 3/27 than Reyes at 6/90 or whatever insanity will ensue.

I don't think we'd get Hardy at 3/27 (unless he gets hurt again this year), but even at 3/36 or 4/44 or whatever we sign him to, it's still better than to guarantee Reyes $15 mil per year for 6 years.... or anything like that.

And no, we aren't signing Fielder regardless of what we do with Reyes.... and being that we're far more than one big bat away from contention, I'm fine with that.

I don't think we'd get Hardy at 3/27 (unless he gets hurt again this year), but even at 3/36 or 4/44 or whatever we sign him to, it's still better than to guarantee Reyes $15 mil per year for 6 years.... or anything like that.

And no, we aren't signing Fielder regardless of what we do with Reyes.... and being that we're far more than one big bat away from contention, I'm fine with that.

Ah yes, the famous "we're not one player away" comment. So how long are you fine with the Orioles missing the playoffs? Seriously, how long can they go without making the playoffs before you'll want to see this team take that next step immediately?

2014? 2015? 2020?

Ah yes, the famous "we're not one player away" comment. So how long are you fine with the Orioles missing the playoffs? Seriously, how long can they go without making the playoffs before you'll want to see this team take that next step immediately?

2014? 2015? 2020?

There's a reason you keep seeing that comment. It's because it's a true statement. We don't possess a team that is going to make the playoffs this year or in 2012.... and that includes if we pick up Fielder AND Reyes.... AND if Machado joins the bigs in 2012 and is everything he was expected... AND Wieters finally hits to the level he was expected to when drafted.

And none of the above are going to happen anyway. Let's look to the long term and let's avoid bankrupting ourselves in the future for the sake of signing a fat overhyped 1B and a prima donna who is having a good contract year..... all to AT BEST turn our 75 win level team into an 85 win level team for a couple years.... only to be completely crippled for YEARS (see also Albert Belle) by eaten contracts.

I understand. I don't know what else to do other than say nothing at all. I suppose that was the right approach. I should have just stated that I didn't think he was a player I'd invest heavily in w/o stating why. With hindsight this seems to be a no win if I bring it up. I just didn't think it through before posting.

Trust me when I tell you that not saying the rest of the story is significantly less damaging though. Nobody is going to search the internet for Reyes plus X, Y, or Z and see my post which is what I want to avoid.

My apologies for tossing it out there w/o being willing to back it up.

You can do an internet search and see some rumors about what you may be talking about.

If people want to do that, they can..As you said, no use putting those rumors out there.

But let's say what you think was true....Who is to say he hasn't gotten help? Who is to say he hasn't matured and is over those issues?

There's a reason you keep seeing that comment. It's because it's a true statement. We don't possess a team that is going to make the playoffs this year or in 2012.... and that includes if we pick up Fielder AND Reyes.... AND if Machado joins the bigs in 2012 and is everything he was expected... AND Wieters finally hits to the level he was expected to when drafted.

And none of the above are going to happen anyway. Let's look to the long term and let's avoid bankrupting ourselves in the future for the sake of signing a fat overhyped 1B and a prima donna who is having a good contract year..... all to AT BEST turn our 75 win level team into an 85 win level team for a couple years.... only to be completely crippled for YEARS (see also Albert Belle) by eaten contracts.

Im getting really sick of the Albert Belle comments. The Orioles got really unlucky with Belle. Now they should never sign another Star free agent because he "MIGHT" be the next Albert Belle. This is completely ridiculous. The Orioles had other options for 1B before Fielder and they punted in their efforts. They very likely have lesser competiton for Fielder which is the way they like it. They need to step up and get some star quality on this team. Forget pushing things back again. If they do they might as well sell everything of value on the current roster to start over ...Why continue to waste the productive years of the guys hereby not even trying.

Reyes is a very talented player but I'd stay as far away from him as I possibly could. There is a reason this guy is tearing it up in his walk year after less than great results in the two previous seasons. I can't reveal details, but I know some folks who know this guy and we don't want to give him a lot of guaranteed money IMHO. It just isn't a good idea. He won't live up to whatever contract he gets unless he completely changes his stripes (which can sometimes happen as guys mature, but I wouldn't want to bet on it). It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even come CLOSE to living up to his eventual contract. If I know about him, I'm sure pretty much every GM knows some of the stories but some bonehead GM unleashing his inner JTrea will throw him 5-6 guaranteed years at 15+ million on a hope and a prayer. We want no part of that IMO.

Funny, I was going to post that Reyes strikes me as a player who turns his talent on and off depending on his mood. It's a walk year for him, and so he's playing great, but he's the kind of guy who won't give you his best effort when times are tough. That is just an impression I have always had of the guy. Your post just reinforces what I already thought was the case.

Funny, I was going to post that Reyes strikes me as a player who turns his talent on and off depending on his mood. It's a walk year for him, and so he's playing great, but he's the kind of guy who won't give you his best effort when times are tough. That is just an impression I have always had of the guy. Your post just reinforces what I already thought was the case.

Some would say the same about our own Brian Roberts IMO...

You don't throw six years and upwards of 80-100 million for a shortstop nearing 30. That's just plain stupid. If you can get a shortstop who is roughly the same age, provides roughly equal production, just in different ways, can get him for fewer years and money, and keep the door wide open for your top organizational prospect, you do it.

Some would say the same about our own Brian Roberts IMO...

I've heard criticisms like that of Roberts, and while I do not agree with them, I understand where they are coming from. If one thinks there is any truth to it, then it certainly wouldn't make sense to compound the problem by adding more players with similar issues.

I am not going to say anything more on the subject, as I can't say that I have followed Reyes' career all that closely. I just have the impression that he is a very talented player who doesn't always give you his best.

Im getting really sick of the Albert Belle comments. The Orioles got really unlucky with Belle. Now they should never sign another Star free agent because he "MIGHT" be the next Albert Belle. This is completely ridiculous. The Orioles had other options for 1B before Fielder and they punted in their efforts. They very likely have lesser competiton for Fielder which is the way they like it. They need to step up and get some star quality on this team. Forget pushing things back again. If they do they might as well sell everything of value on the current roster to start over ...Why continue to waste the productive years of the guys hereby not even trying.

Albert Belle is just one example. And yes, we did get unlucky. That said, while star quality is nice, it's not going to improve us all that much. With Fielder, an 80 win team maybe becomes an 85 win team. Is that really worth spending well over $20 mil a year? Is it really worth committing 6 or 7 years? The answer is that it would be a foolish waste of cash.

Archived