Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?

Greg Pappas

Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?

• Yes, he’ll return, and Yes, I want him back.
    • Yes, he’ll return, and No, I don’t want him back.
    • No, he won’t return, and Yes, I want him back.
    • No, he won’t return, and No, I don't want him back.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I think he will want to come back.

2. Angelos will NOT hire an "out-of-the-box"-type GM...i.e....someone under 50 who is creative and not afraid to take chances.

3. Angelos will not spend the money to acquire top-flight free agents...and MacPhail adheres to that philosophy.

4. MacPhail will return with a 3 or 4 year deal.

As of right now, I would say no because I think this season is going to be a little more disappointing than we thought and I think the losing will make AM want to leave.

I do not want him back but I am also worried about what happens if he is gone because I am not sure PA will hire someone he trusts to do things.

While I don't think AM is the right man for the job, he was a still a better GM for this organization than anyone since Gillick(maybe you could say since Wren but he didn't have a lot of time to prove himself). AM still brought in talent that no other GM had done....and I am not sure that another GM will be allowed to do that.

As of right now, I would say no because I think this season is going to be a little more disappointing than we thought and I think the losing will make AM want to leave.

I do not want him back but I am also worried about what happens if he is gone because I am not sure PA will hire someone he trusts to do things.

While I don't think AM is the right man for the job, he was a still a better GM for this organization than anyone since Gillick(maybe you could say since Wren but he didn't have a lot of time to prove himself). AM still brought in talent that no other GM had done....and I am not sure that another GM will be allowed to do that.

This 1000 times. AM is far from perfect but he has done some positive things. I have little confidence that ownership would make a better choice.

I agree with everything here. MacPhail has his flaws, and I don't think he can finish the job, but he may be the only man that Angelos trusts enough to not meddle, so a MacPhail led Orioles may still be better than a New GM led Orioles with Angelos stepping back into a more prominant role.

1. I think he will want to come back.

2. Angelos will NOT hire an "out-of-the-box"-type GM...i.e....someone under 50 who is creative and not afraid to take chances.

3. Angelos will not spend the money to acquire top-flight free agents...and MacPhail adheres to that philosophy.

4. MacPhail will return with a 3 or 4 year deal.

I pretty much agree with these points, though I still hold out hope that things will change.

I pretty much agree with these points, though I still hold out hope that things will change.

Greg, what type of "change" are you talking about? Do you think ownership will change or MacPhail will change?

I know you said you "hope", but I just don't see either of these things happening. This post is not meant to bash you, by the way...just curious!:D

Keeping MacPhail will doom this franchise to years of mediocrity. If that's the better option than hiring a younger aggressive GM with less power, we are in for a world of hurt, either way. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Angelos, in my view, and the view of many others, seems to be at the heart of the problem. What do I expect? More Rinse and Repeat.

Keeping MacPhail will doom this franchise to years of mediocrity. If that's the better option than hiring a younger aggressive GM with less power, we are in for a world of hurt, either way. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. Angelos, in my view, and the view of many others, seems to be at the heart of the problem. What do I expect? More Rinse and Repeat.

Right...Which is why in some ways, we are better off with AM because at least PA trusts him to do things, make some trades, etc....

But it still goes back to Angelos...He is the real issue. He is the one that has to go for things to truly change.

Greg, what type of "change" are you talking about? Do you think ownership will change or MacPhail will change?

I know you said you "hope", but I just don't see either of these things happening. This post is not meant to bash you, by the way...just curious!:D

It's okay. :)

I was referring to hoping that somehow Angelos changes by deciding to do something unexpected, and does actually hire a young aggressive GM. Also, I'd hope that MacPhail (a good man by all accounts) would decide not to return. :D

This 1000 times. AM is far from perfect but he has done some positive things. I have little confidence that ownership would make a better choice.

Ditto. I'm sure I could identify some potential GM's I would like better than MacPhail, but getting Angelos to actually hire one of them and give them the necessary lattitude to operate is highly, highly unlikely.

Archived