Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?

Greg Pappas

Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Is MacPhail Coming Back After the Season, and Do You Want Him To?

• Yes, he’ll return, and Yes, I want him back.
    • Yes, he’ll return, and No, I don’t want him back.
    • No, he won’t return, and Yes, I want him back.
    • No, he won’t return, and No, I don't want him back.

I admit, I'm always one to question most of his moves/trades...but I just don't know how much is really is fault. Is he just unlucky now...it just doesn't seem like the same person who did so well in Minnesota. But then again, we don't have Puckett, Hrbek, Gladden, etc...

I personally would like a new guy, a fresh start.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, how much control does MacPhail really have? I know they were throwing money at Tex, but after he went to the Yanks, it seemed that was the end of going after the top guys. We got lucky with Hardy, but why keep going after former Cubbies (Lee) & Guerrero? No more crusty players!

I dont know how to answer this. If he's willing to finally go all out for that one big bat or ace, then yeah I think he should be back. If we have to live year to year with our 1B or LF, then no, I want someone who will fill the long term needs. The man is awesome at trades but not so great at signing FA, I think that's obvious. The HUGE contracts for mediocre relief pitchers has to end. While he is not on the level of Flanagan/Beattie as far as signing Omar Daal and all those lousy guys, he's just really missing when it comes to the bullpen. I know he's been hurt but would it have really made that much of a difference to throw an extra 4 mil a year over what we're paying Gregg and have gotten Soriano?

Don't you think Micheal Schumacher occasionally goes to SCCA races in Tulsa in a 1988 Ford Probe just to show everybody it's not all about the car?

Haha, well played.

Simple...To build a winner from the scrap heap and to show he can do it without a 200 million dollar payroll.

Of course, PA is in the way....If we had a real owner, GMs would probably be lining up to come here..as they should.

I sincerely doubt Cashman is concerned with proving anyone wrong. He's got his money, he's got his rings, he's secured his legacy as a GM for the winningest franchise in all of sports....there's no reason to slum it in Baltimore. From where he sits, he's got nothing to prove to you, me, or any other message board junkie who thinks he can't do it with a 90 million payroll. He doesn't really answer to us and he never really will.

Yea, like waroriole said, he's brought back a level of competence and respect to the system, to the organization. People actually say stuff like "the O's are mostly headed in the right direction" instead of laughing at them. They've actually developed multiple young players and graduated them to the majors and had them contribute for the first time in generations. He's made many fine trades. You act like the Bedard deal was the only positive, but he traded Garrett Olson for Pie, he traded the dessicated corpses of Huff and Traschel and others for real, live ballplayers. He traded the soon-to-be-much-older Tejada for several prospects and Luke Scott. He traded Hernandez for Reynolds, which could still work out very well. He traded a fungo bat for JJ Hardy. He signed Koji, twice. He hired Buck.

Yes, the O's still have many weak spots and blind spots and things they do I wish they didn't. But they've moved up from the pure bumbling incompetence of the Flanagan/Beattie/Duquette/Thrift era to at least mid-pack.

Remember this from yesterday. I take it all back, they suck.

Yea, like waroriole said, he's brought back a level of competence and respect to the system, to the organization. People actually say stuff like "the O's are mostly headed in the right direction" instead of laughing at them. They've actually developed multiple young players and graduated them to the majors and had them contribute for the first time in generations. He's made many fine trades. You act like the Bedard deal was the only positive, but he traded Garrett Olson for Pie, he traded the dessicated corpses of Huff and Traschel and others for real, live ballplayers. He traded the soon-to-be-much-older Tejada for several prospects and Luke Scott. He traded Hernandez for Reynolds, which could still work out very well. He traded a fungo bat for JJ Hardy. He signed Koji, twice. He hired Buck.

Yes, the O's still have many weak spots and blind spots and things they do I wish they didn't. But they've moved up from the pure bumbling incompetence of the Flanagan/Beattie/Duquette/Thrift era to at least mid-pack.

Remember this from yesterday. I take it all back, they suck.

Classic. :D

But again, nothing likely changes with PA still around.

I'd rather take the chance that another GM will make him wake up and smell the coffee and allocate resources better, than to go with one that just tells him to "go back to sleep" and everything will be just fine.

Also we need to dump the other MacPhail that is doing a horrible job in professional scouting based on the people this club keeps targeting.

Cleaning house of the MacPhails needs to be priority one this offseason.

I'd rather take the chance that another GM will make him wake up and smell the coffee and allocate resources better, than to go with one that just tells him to "go back to sleep" and everything will be just fine.

Also we need to dump the other MacPhail that is doing a horrible job in professional scouting based on the people this club keeps targeting.

Cleaning house of the MacPhail's needs to be priority one this offseason.

While I am very skeptical that PA will allow a new GM to operate the way he needs to, there is something to be said about having a new voice in there, with new ideas.

Archived