Why is Nick choking up?

Sports Guy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Choking up gives you better bat control, if you are in a slump like Nick is somewhat getting out of right now, it's not a bad idea at all. When he starts making hard contact more often maybe he will stop choking up, maybe he won't. Either way it shouldn't be a problem as far as power goes. I know Bonds cheated and was bigger than Nick, but he choked up a considerable amount I do believe.

Its a good point about Bonds but he is more of an exception than a rule.

Choking up does usually allow you to have better bat control and make more contact but making contact isn't Nick's issue. His contact rate is the highest of his career.

Choking up is fine IF it is a situation where you just need to get the bat on the ball. I have never known a professional to do it on a regular basis. It will rob you of every bit of power you have and seriously limit what you can do with the bat.

I know it is a different sport, but if you ever asked a pro golfer if he choked up on the club for every shot he would laugh at you. That type of stuff is for amateurs not the best in the world.

Choking up is fine IF it is a situation where you just need to get the bat on the ball. I have never known a professional to do it on a regular basis. It will rob you of every bit of power you have and seriously limit what you can do with the bat.

I know it is a different sport, but if you ever asked a pro golfer if he choked up on the club for every shot he would laugh at you. That type of stuff is for amateurs not the best in the world.

I think you ought to look at the 2 inches of grip above Rory's hands on a bunch of his swings.

I think you ought to look at the 2 inches of grip above Rory's hands on a bunch of his swings.

Rory and no other professional choke up on a shot unless they absolutely need to. Are you claiming he goes through 70 shots in a round and they are all choked up on? Uh...no. I would be surprised if even 5% of the time he went into that mode. It is a very specific shot you need that setup for, and it is pretty rare.

Unless he wanted to keep the ball down out of the wind or was in between clubs it isn't happening. Maybe you should watch a little closer.

If Nick is choking up a lot of the time that is a sign of pure desperation IMO. And you better believe that what little power he had went right out the window with that approach.

Archived