Why is Nick choking up?

Sports Guy

Choking up DOES limit power. I won't get into the physics but the longer the club the more torque you can generate. It is why all the long drivers use like 50 inch shafts instead of 45 inch. Power goes up, control goes down the longer the shaft/bat. That is a fact.

Have you ever swung a baseball bat of a golf club?

I did a few hundred years ago, and one thing I noticed was when I checked my swing if the ball hit the barrel of the bat, it was a line drive out of the IF. If you square the ball up, you don't need a huge swing to give it a good ride. There is a trade off between the bat control necessary to square the ball up consistently, and holding it down at the nub and swinging fron the heels. Why do you suppose Reynolds has such a poor contract rate and so many K's?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Choking up DOES limit power. I won't get into the physics but the longer the club the more torque you can generate. It is why all the long drivers use like 50 inch shafts instead of 45 inch. Power goes up, control goes down the longer the shaft/bat. That is a fact.

Have you ever swung a baseball bat of a golf club?

Uh.. this is completely wrong.

The body generates torque. This is a static number that can only be improved by Nick getting stronger. A shorter bat results in MORE force and MORE acceleration at the bathead (due to the reduced moment of inertia) but with a sacrifice in system mass, and a change in the "sweet spot" location. The loss in system mass means that the batter has to hit the bat with a higher velocity. However, an increase in swing speed is a larger positive for batted ball velocity than an increase in weight is a negative, so choking up is a good thing, as long as Nick can maintain plate coverage with the choked up bat.

Furthermore, this is largely irrelevant, because as long as Nick is swinging hard, then hitting the sweet spot is more important than increasing the force on the ball. If choking up on the bat results in Nick hitting the sweet spot on his batted balls more often, then his power numbers will improve.

Rory and no other professional choke up on a shot unless they absolutely need to. Are you claiming he goes through 70 shots in a round and they are all choked up on? Uh...no. I would be surprised if even 5% of the time he went into that mode. It is a very specific shot you need that setup for, and it is pretty rare.

Unless he wanted to keep the ball down out of the wind or was in between clubs it isn't happening. Maybe you should watch a little closer.

If Nick is choking up a lot of the time that is a sign of pure desperation IMO. And you better believe that what little power he had went right out the window with that approach.

I think you need to look at most iron shots he hits. Bluntly you are wrong. but you do have a understanding of longer shaft means longer potential. To bad the concept of longer shaft harder to make great contact is missed on you like most weekend golfers.

Most professionals actually choke up more than you think it is how they control their distance between clubs. What they don't want to do much is change their swing speed that is when bad things happen. Believe me most know how far a 7 is going Full/Full, Full/ 1 inch down and Full/2 down. Most iron shots on tour are not hit Full/Full. Rory is one of the worst to look at for your view because he is down atleast an inch on almost every iron shot. The video won't lie.

Rory and no other professional choke up on a shot unless they absolutely need to. Are you claiming he goes through 70 shots in a round and they are all choked up on? Uh...no. I would be surprised if even 5% of the time he went into that mode. It is a very specific shot you need that setup for, and it is pretty rare.

Unless he wanted to keep the ball down out of the wind or was in between clubs it isn't happening. Maybe you should watch a little closer.

If Nick is choking up a lot of the time that is a sign of pure desperation IMO. And you better believe that what little power he had went right out the window with that approach.

I played division 1 golf and I can confidently say you have no idea what you're talking about.

I played division 1 golf and I can confidently say you have no idea what you're talking about.

So did I and I can confidently say I you are wrong and have no clue, just like the other 5 posts above this one who probably read a book and have never played a sport with a club at a high level.....or any level. I have also caddied for tour pro's on NUMEROUS occasions.

So yeah...I MIGHT have a clue.

Anyone wants to go out a on the range with a club, or a bat, you know where to find me.

You all can choke up, and rip the driver 250 right down the middle and I will swing it all out using the full shaft length and put it by you 50 yards with a bit less control.

So did I and I can confidently say I you are wrong and have no clue, just like the other 5 posts above this one who probably read a book and have never played a sport with a club at a high level.....or any level. I have also caddied for tour pro's on NUMEROUS occasions.

Anyone wants to go out a on the range with a club, or a bat, you know where to find me.

You all can choke up, and rip the driver 250 right down the middle and I will swing it all out using the full shaft length and put it by you 50 yards with a bit less control.

Just explain the video of him actually choking up on almost every iron shot, sport. I question your knowledge because you simply said things that are wrong. How this relates to baseball is simply you can hit the ball with authority choked up. Ideally I don't think you would want to do it but obviously he and the staff are working on something in particular. I guess the guy hitting over 400 in the last 11 games is obviously on the wrong track.

Also most professionals and good players choke up with 7 or 8 iron down, because they want to flight the ball with the correct trajectory and distance.

So what you're all saying is that it's not the length of the shaft, it's how you use it. Clearly, the size of the head also helps you increase your chances of hitting the sweet spot as well.

AHH he didn't really go there. lol

Archived