Why is Nick choking up?

Sports Guy

So did I and I can confidently say I you are wrong and have no clue, just like the other 5 posts above this one who probably read a book and have never played a sport with a club at a high level.....or any level. I have also caddied for tour pro's on NUMEROUS occasions.

So yeah...I MIGHT have a clue.

Anyone wants to go out a on the range with a club, or a bat, you know where to find me.

You all can choke up, and rip the driver 250 right down the middle and I will swing it all out using the full shaft length and put it by you 50 yards with a bit less control.

A golf club has completely different mechanics from a baseball bat. A baseball bat is a rigid body and is far too thick for the wood's resonance frequency to add any significant velocity to the ball. Furthermore, all baseball bats are well above the ideal mass for a bat, so reducing the mass of the bat is capable of adding a small amount of additional bat speed in addition to improving bat control (with the obvious caveat that the batter must be able to extend the bat through the entire strike zone.)

Swinging a golf club derives a significant portion of its power from the recoil of the shaft because the shaft near the hands rotates faster than the shaft at the clubhead. Choking up on a golf club shortens this recoil effect, causing it to impart less energy on the golf ball. Furthermore, a golf club is way lighter, and as a result can support a much longer lever arm before the moment of inertia becomes too great to effectively wield the club. Also, a golf ball is a stationary object, so a golfer can sacrifice the fine level of control that is required for hitting a baseball as long as he has good mechanics and a repeatable swing.

The mechanics of baseball and golf are both very complicated, and while they may seem similar on the surface, you can't really assume that what works for one is also going to work for the other.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A golf club has completely different mechanics from a baseball bat. A baseball bat is a rigid body and is far too thick for the wood's resonance frequency to add any significant velocity to the ball. Furthermore, all baseball bats are well above the ideal mass for a bat, so reducing the mass of the bat is capable of adding a small amount of additional bat speed in addition to improving bat control (with the obvious caveat that the batter must be able to extend the bat through the entire strike zone.)

Swinging a golf club derives a significant portion of its power from the recoil of the shaft because the shaft near the hands rotates faster than the shaft at the clubhead. Choking up on a golf club shortens this recoil effect, causing it to impart less energy on the golf ball. Furthermore, a golf club is way lighter, and as a result can support a much longer lever arm before the moment of inertia becomes too great to effectively wield the club. Also, a golf ball is a stationary object, so a golfer can sacrifice the fine level of control that is required for hitting a baseball as long as he has good mechanics and a repeatable swing.

The mechanics of baseball and golf are both very complicated, and while they may seem similar on the surface, you can't really assume that what works for one is also going to work for the other.

I'll take the detailed physics over "dude, I played sports!"

If 10 people jump off of a bridge, 8 die and 2 survive, are you going to jump because 2 lived?

Not quite a fair comparison. In baseball terms, you're suggesting that 80% of people who choke up see no change in their game other than "not dying". I guess the baseball equivalent of "not dying" is never getting a hit again? Maybe an OPS < 600? Who knows. But, the potential gains for those on the "success side" of this comparison are pretty limited.

If 10 people jump off a bridge, and 8 end up living with a significantly better life than they had before (i.e. more money, better lifestyle, healthier, etc...)...I'm sure a lot of people would consider it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't give two skunks nuts what and why he's doing it, but the dude is on freakin fire! If he were wearing drag and hitting like he is I could care less...if a pair of red pumps gets you all hot and bothered 'Kakes and you can hit a curveball, you're my man!

Keep choking up even if it looks silly...who cares.

Archived