Markakis Max Return

mrbraswel3

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fairly certain that Prince Fielder is currently a more valuable player than Nick Markakis.

However, you'll never convince me that getting rid of Nick's contract will make it any more likely that we sign Prince because in either situation (whether we get rid of Nick or not) Fielder ain't coming here. For various reasons.

While I would prefer to get something in return for Markakis, I wouldn't be completely against letting him go on waivers if the opportunity presented itself. It would be nice to ditch Gregg and Gonzalez but I am sure they will pass through waivers.

With the uncertainty about Robert's situation, we need to free up payroll. While Markakis is a great player, he most likely won't be worth what his contract extension is worth. He has regressed several straight years now. I'd rather have that money for other situations.

I think Markakis can be worth 15 WAR the next 5 years. Fielder 20 + the next 5. His value might actually increase if he is a DH.

Now the question needs to be - who would take Markakis' contract?

Who could be like the White Sox and "fall in love" with what Markakis used to be and think he'd recover?

The Braves have been mentioned, but I doubt they take that contract. The Giants are an interesting possiblity though their contract to Rowand may sour them on Nick.

Markakis will likely make it through waivers, so this whole conversation could be moot.

And if that's the case, then it's all about how much contract you'd be willing to eat to move him.

Now the question needs to be - who would take Markakis' contract?

Who could be like the White Sox and "fall in love" with what Markakis used to be and think he'd recover?

The Braves have been mentioned, but I doubt they take that contract. The Giants are an interesting possiblity though their contract to Rowand may sour them on Nick.

Markakis will likely make it through waivers, so this whole conversation could be moot.

And if that's the case, then it's all about how much contract you'd be willing to eat to move him.

I think it is silly, that you think he will make it through waivers. You honestly don't think maybe, just maybe, the Yankees might have interest in him? Or could they not afford him. Those Boston people, are surely happy with JD Drew, they will keep him forever! The Angels would never ever want him either! He is stinky. Stinky Stinky Stinky. It's not like he has ever proven he cant hit? Not to mention that shabby outfield he plays, and lets not forget... He is older than dirt.

I seriously doubt the Orioles would trade Markakis regardless of whether his value was high or low. Despite a down year, I think they still see him as an important building block in the construction of a contending team.

I sure hope they wouldn't make such a knee-jerk reaction. if he stays this way all this season, and then again NEXT season ok maybe it's time to make a move.

It's not like he is hitting sub .200 or anything. his lack of doubles is troubling but it seems like some people think this is permanent. this isn't some statistically backed decline that he's likely to never rebound from.

I really don't even know how to respond to this thread at this point, other than to reiterate what's already been said:

Trading a player at his lowest value of his career is completely and utterly terrible asset management.

Many of the same people that are promoting a Markakis trade would absolutely eviscerate MacPhail on this board for the (expectedly) mediocre return he'd get.

Let him try to figure it out the rest of this season. the team literally has nothing to lose by doing that. And don't say they lose a chance at signing Fielder, unless you can produce specific evidence that Markakis's salary is prohibitive in that regard.

The absolute worst-case scenario for Markakis would be for the Orioles to trade him for a pittance because of his low value, and then he bounces back elsewhere and returns to being a ~120 OPS+ player with excellent defense.

The absolute worst-case scenario for Markakis would be for the Orioles to trade him for a pittance because of his low value, and then he bounces back elsewhere and returns to being a ~120 OPS+ player with excellent defense.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Markakis plays somewhat better the rest of the year and ends up with a 100 OPS+ (say, a .725 overall), and is worth 1.5 wins. I think that's within the realm of possibility, and wouldn't take some major surge to accomplish. That's just a slight uptick from what he's been doing since May 1st.

That would mean over his career he'd have been worth about 19.5 wins in six years, or 3.25 wins/year. That's worth about $15M a year in free agency, or on a multi-year deal that's probably $12-13M or so figuring in some risk mitigation. That makes his current contract a little bit of an overpay, assuming he doesn't bounce back and have more 4, 5, 6-win seasons. It's not something you should be looking to dump on the waiver wire.

I see absolutely no reason to cash in your Markakis stock at

. The franchise will be much better off betting that he returns to normal.

Oh please. Don't lump me in with JTrea. And this thread honestly had nothing to do with Fielder when he started it.

Markakis has been really bad. If he was on another team we wouldn't look at him twice.

Of course it didn't have anything to do with Fielder at first (and I don't think Trea started the thread). But when you're a very loud voice about 1-2 things and are constantly making your voice heard about those things, you're going to get called out when talking out of both sides of your mouth. You can't advocate for, however long he's been advocating, the signing of Prince Fielder to a 7/175 contract while at the same time making false statements about Nick Marakis being a sub 700 OPS player who the Orioles would be wise to waive. Especially when Nick Markakis has been worth more than Prince Fielder, coming into this season.

Archived