Dammit, Reynolds!

DrLev

Thank you. Every day someone is complaining and its getting old. He'll be fine. It's not like we have some gold glove 3rd baseman waiting in the wings.

If he'd stop making errors every day, people would stop complaining about his defense every day. I supported the trade, and I'm happy with his offense, but his defense has been a disappointment compared to what I expected. 18 errors in 75 games -- that is putrid and there is no sugarcoating it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reynolds has showed clear progression defensively the last few years.

Most of Reynolds' errors come on routine plays...Its about footwork and getting over a mental hurdle.

He isn't a bad defensive third baseman but he is making a ton of mental errors which are leading to a lot of throwing errors.

Thank you. Every day someone is complaining and its getting old. He'll be fine. It's not like we have some gold glove 3rd baseman waiting in the wings.

If he'd stop committing errors, then we'd stop posting. 18 errors in ~70 games is inexcusable. He's on pace for roughly 40 errors.

Reynolds has showed clear progression defensively the last few years.

Most of Reynolds' errors come on routine plays...Its about footwork and getting over a mental hurdle.

He isn't a bad defensive third baseman but he is making a ton of mental errors which are leading to a lot of throwing errors.

Call it what you want. Errors are errors.

Yes they are...But to simply look at it in that way is wrong.

Are they correctable errors? That is the real question and the obvious answer is yes.

His numbers don't show it. Defensively he's had one good year and it was last year. His other years have all been laughers when it comes to his value.

I can't give him the benefit of the doubt right now. Just look at these fielding value numbers:

2007: -3.9

2008: -11.0

2009: -11.4

2010: +1.7

2011: -13.8 (and this is going to get worse after today...)

SG is right. He made a really nice bare hand play last night. He's just goofing up the basic grounders and routine throws. He won't be beltre at 3rd but he will be serviceable.

He hasn't been serviceable going on 4 out of the last 5 years. Well, 3 of the last 5 years if we're talking about him being terrible. But he hasn't had positive value out of the 3B spot aside from last year.

He hasn't been serviceable going on 4 out of the last 5 years. Well, 3 of the last 5 years if we're talking about him being terrible. But he hasn't had positive value out of the 3B spot aside from last year.

Only on Orioles Hangout does serviceable = above average.

I understand the frustration but Reynolds has got 3rd for the rest of the year. There are no better options. Now, if he doesn't start to show improvement I find it hard to believe Buck will want to go into next year with him at 3rd. Especially, considering we have FA at two positions (DH, 1B) where he could be moved.

Archived