Dammit, Reynolds!

DrLev

Reynolds improved to slightly above average the past two seasons. This current defensive play is not consistent with that trend. He's not an uncoordinated guy like Adam Dunn or DCab. He is quite athleteic. I think he should be able to shake this off. He makes too many good plays to be that bad.By way of comparison Starlin Castro has 16 E's and a -15 Rtot to Reynolds' -9 Rtot and 18 E 's. I think most here would be happy to have Castro on the team.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He had 34 errors in 2008. They went from 19 to 18 the last 2 years...Clearly, he has proven that he can correct them but right now, he is in a mental defensive slump.

Basically he improved from awful to still pretty bad defensively. Now he is back to horriawful. Slump, bad, etc.... call it what ya want... but statistically this year, he has ALREADY been worth a full loss on defense. He's on pace to be worth about 2.5 losses on defense.

Basically he improved from awful to still pretty bad defensively. Now he is back to horriawful. Slump, bad, etc.... call it what ya want... but statistically this year, he has ALREADY been worth a full loss on defense. He's on pace to be worth about 2.5 losses on defense.

Yes that is true...if you believe defense is only measured by errors.

Yes that is true...if you believe defense is only measured by errors.

I was looking more at DWAR... which has been no better than -.8 in any year since hsi very first. He does some things well... but his error-prone tendencies are killer. In the last 4 years, including this year, he has averaged a full one loss per season statistically on defense. That isn't "good defense". That's a guy who isn't very good in the field who usually has good offense to counteract his sub-par defense. In his leagues, he has never been better than 2nd worst in his own league in terms of errors committed, and this year, he has about twice as many errors as the next guy on the list in the AL. As far as range, he's been about average. Not great.... bot bad... but average.

Negative value every year at 3B save for last year. Was last year an aberration or progression?

Melvin Mora was not that bad considering the two years since he moved on we were unable to improve the position both from within and from free agency thus far. With that said I am glad to hear Reynolds is working hard to improve his defense. He has improved his contact at the plate. The glove will come around with hard work. Let's all hope he improves.

Last year his UZR was 2.2, that's above average. By comparison Jones last year had a -4.3. This year Jones' UZR is 6.9 cuurently and Reynolds is -12.8. Never before in his career has Reynolds defense been as bad as - 1 W. This year's defense is uncharacteristic for him and I think he will improve.

I think so too... but according to baseballreference, his dWAR has been 1 or worse once before (-1.4 dWAR in 2009). He has always been an error machine. That's not to say he doesn't do alright in some other areas... but there's nowhere he stands out in either to help mask the fact that he commits a ton of errors. Good range is nice.... but I'd rather have a guy who has a little less range and doesn't make an error every few games.

He won't end the year as a -2.5 dWAR guy as he is on pace for.... but he isn't a good defensive 3B. A case can be made that he's about average..... but I wouldn't give him that much credit.

That also said... I'm also not in the deal Reynolds boat either.

I think so too... but according to baseballreference, his dWAR has been 1 or worse once before (-1.4 dWAR in 2009). He has always been an error machine. That's not to say he doesn't do alright in some other areas... but there's nowhere he stands out in either to help mask the fact that he commits a ton of errors. Good range is nice.... but I'd rather have a guy who has a little less range and doesn't make an error every few games.

He won't end the year as a -2.5 dWAR guy as he is on pace for.... but he isn't a good defensive 3B. A case can be made that he's about average..... but I wouldn't give him that much credit.

That also said... I'm also not in the deal Reynolds boat either.

No one is saying he is good, just that he has steadily improved to slightly above average as of last season. If he can maintain an average level of D at 3B with 30+ HR, I would be happy no matter how many errors he makes.

As others have pointed out, he's usually below average, but he's usually not THIS awful. Personally, I feel like he'll get better. However, if he doesn't, it's not the end of the world. Next year we could either DH him or play him at 1st. People that want to trade him are crazy.

I'd be absolutely fine with him DHing and getting some spot starts at 1B and 3B when needed in 2012. He'll get better and the hope here is that he can improve to average on defense when needed. Hopefully we spend a little more this offseason. But I'm not counting on it. I fully expect us to allow Hardy to sign elsewhere for a 3/36 type deal.... I fully expect someone else to outbid for Fielder (which won't break my heart). I fully expect us to be in on some other FAs... but go cheap with the offers. And I fully expect another signee (1 minimum) who had a good 2008 or 2009 and didn't do squat before that one good year and hasnt done squat since either.... and I fully expect us to bid against ourselves and sign him for millions.

I'd be absolutely fine with him DHing and getting some spot starts at 1B and 3B when needed in 2012. He'll get better and the hope here is that he can improve to average on defense when needed. Hopefully we spend a little more this offseason. But I'm not counting on it. I fully expect us to allow Hardy to sign elsewhere for a 3/36 type deal.... I fully expect someone else to outbid for Fielder (which won't break my heart). I fully expect us to be in on some other FAs... but go cheap with the offers. And I fully expect another signee (1 minimum) who had a good 2008 or 2009 and didn't do squat before that one good year and hasnt done squat since either.... and I fully expect us to bid against ourselves and sign him for millions.
How would you feel about Starlin Castro at SS, I take it you wouldn't want to trade for him, because of his 16 E's and 5.9 UZR?

Um, what?

Here's the problem with the argument that his season so far is proving Reynolds to be a poor defensive third baseman: he's NEVER been THIS bad. So saying this is completely representative of his ability is like using a 3-45 stretch with 25 Ks as proof Matt Wieters is an awful offensive player.

Also, even with his *bleep*ty defense and his *bleep*ty start, he is still on pace for a 1.5-2 WAR season, depending on whether you look at Fangraphs or Baseball Reference. He's giving us positive value, and as he continues to hit and his defense gets better, that will only improve.

Archived