What should be done with Guerrero?

jiminnj

We are 75 games into the season and Vlad is doing nothing. He has no power, his OBP is poor, his OPS is far below what anyone expected. It is clear he is nothing resembling the player he once was except in his inclination to swing at virtually anything. I don't expect him to turn it around, especially when you examine his numbers since last July 1 (a year of baseball).

........2011...Since 7/1/10

PA.....287.......685

Hits.....77.......173

2B.......11........27

3B........0..........1

HR........6........17

BB........9........27

RBI......28.......91

Avg....282.....262

OBP....314.....305

SLG....388.....392

OPS....702.....697

He has been very consistent over his last full year of baseball, mediocre to poor. He has no future with this team yet he is playing everyday and batting fourth. He is killing many rallies. His stats over the last year coupled with years of decline before that, leave very little hope that he is going to reverse things and go on a tear. What can be done?

Do we keep playing him everyday batting fourth?

Do we keep playing him and move him down in the order?

Try to trade him (I can't imaging anyone wanting him with his current production and salary)? (I am not sure even if we ate all his salary why anyone would want him)

Do we bench him a bunch, letting Reimold and Scott split LF and DH, or letting Reynolds DH with Andino at 3B and Davis at 2B (no back up infielders if we do this).

How long should things go before there is a change?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a minimum, you keep running him out there practically every day until the deadline...You just have to hope that the recent time off(because of IL play) will rejuvenate his bat a little.

If they decide to DFA him on Aug 1, then I don't have any issue with that.

At a minimum, you keep running him out there practically every day until the deadline...You just have to hope that the recent time off(because of IL play) will rejuvenate his bat a little.

If they decide to DFA him on Aug 1, then I don't have any issue with that.[/quote

I agree. He has to keep playing till the deadline. Then all bets are off.

He was pretty good for most of May. You just keep running him out there and hope he gets hot. I agree with SG, if he's still with us on August 1 and isn't performing we can look at adjusting his role.

He was good for an 11 game stretch (multiple hits in I believe 11 games in a row in May), the rest of May he was poor. That 11 game stretch is just about it for Vlad this year. His overall OPS for May was .755 (nobody would have called that good for Vlad before this season began).

Vlad is taking plate appearances away from mainly Reimold, but also Scott and Pie. By the end of this season it sure would be nice to know one way or the other whether Reimold and Pie have a future role to play with this team. Can it be done waiting to August to give them regular time?

The chances of getting something meaningful in return for Vlad are not very good. Why put off evaluating other players who maybe could have a role in the future with the Os for that slight chance?

Vlad is taking plate appearances away from mainly Reimold, but also Scott and Pie. By the end of this season it sure would be nice to know one way or the other whether Reimold and Pie have a future role to play with this team. Can it be done waiting to August to give them regular time?

The chances of getting something meaningful in return for Vlad are not very good. Why put off evaluating other players who maybe could have a role in the future with the Os for that slight chance?

I don't think Pie and Reimold can do anything the rest of the year for you to say, we don't need a LFer next year. Losing 70ish at bats isn't going to hurt them there IMO.

Vlad could get hot and be worth some relief prospects.

I don't think Pie and Reimold can do anything the rest of the year for you to say, we don't need a LFer next year. Losing 70ish at bats isn't going to hurt them there IMO.

Vlad could get hot and be worth some relief prospects.

The chances of Vlad getting hot enough to be worth some relief prospects is pretty remote IMO, particularly when you look at what he has done over his last 685 PAs. Even if he gets hot (.800 OPS for a month), we would be lucky to get anyone to take him.

This was a bad signing. Playing him everyday batting 4th just compounds the mistake. My opinion is that minimally he should be moved down in the order and sat down several times a week until he does get hot.

The chances of Vlad getting hot enough to be worth some relief prospects is pretty remote IMO, particularly when you look at what he has done over his last 685 PAs. Even if he gets hot (.800 OPS for a month), we would be lucky to get anyone to take him.

This was a bad signing. Playing him everyday batting 4th just compounds the mistake. My opinion is that minimally he should be moved down in the order and sat down several times a week until he does get hot.

It was definitely a bad signing...But putting that aside, you need to try and save some money(put towards picks?) and get something back.

Huff got back a prospect that was used to get Hardy. You acquire as much depth as possible.

One month will not hurt any decision making or anything like that when it comes to Reimold and Pie.

You give Vlad the month and see what happens.

He will miss the first 3 games of the month when he goes to Atlanta. He then goes to Boston and Texas, 2 parks he has had success...Then, you get the AS break. We are talking about playing another 20ish games in an Orioles uniform..That's really not that much at all. if you want to drop him down to 6th or 7th in the batting order, so be it...No problems there.

We are 75 games into the season and Vlad is doing nothing. He has no power, his OBP is poor, his OPS is far below what anyone expected. It is clear he is nothing resembling the player he once was except in his inclination to swing at virtually anything. I don't expect him to turn it around, especially when you examine his numbers since last July 1 (a year of baseball).

........2011...Since 7/1/10

PA.....287.......685

Hits.....77.......173

2B.......11........27

3B........0..........1

HR........6........17

BB........9........27

RBI......28.......91

Avg....282.....262

OBP....314.....305

SLG....388.....392

OPS....702.....697

He has been very consistent over his last full year of baseball, mediocre to poor. He has no future with this team yet he is playing everyday and batting fourth. He is killing many rallies. His stats over the last year coupled with years of decline before that, leave very little hope that he is going to reverse things and go on a tear. What can be done?

Do we keep playing him everyday batting fourth?

Do we keep playing him and move him down in the order?

Try to trade him (I can't imaging anyone wanting him with his current production and salary)? (I am not sure even if we ate all his salary why anyone would want him)

Do we bench him a bunch, letting Reimold and Scott split LF and DH, or letting Reynolds DH with Andino at 3B and Davis at 2B (no back up infielders if we do this).

How long should things go before there is a change?

He should be sent down to Triple-A and then released - and someone should kick him in the butt on his way out the door. What a horrible player, all around. The worst DH, period. He never really was very good, and Reynolds, Lee and Gregg were much better signs. Bla bla bla.

Archived