MATUSZ at AAA-Norfolk

OFFNY

Still not good enough. Only 1 K against AAA competition? Disappointing.

Also, is his velocity improving? That's the key for me.

Meh, that is going to happen sometimes. If they were up there hacking and beating balls into the ground and hitting lazy flyballs whatever. Only two walks tells me he was around the zone all night.

The velocity is the key.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Via Roch:

Brian Matusz through 7 inn vs. Rochester: 1 run, 5 hits, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts. 102 pitches, 66 strikes. #orioles

https://twitter.com/#!/masnRoch/status/100015667209703424

I'm told Matusz's fastball 87-92 mph tonight vs. Rochester. Pitched mostly at 89. Team official says "Most solid outing thus far." #orioles

https://twitter.com/#!/masnRoch/status/100029482152361984

Sitting at 89 doesn't have me excited, but it's a lot better than where he's been in the past.

I bet we'll see him up soon.

I drove down to Norfolk and was very pleased by his performance. I saw him hit 91 on the stadium radar gun, and that's the best I've seen him this year. Hopefully he'll be ready to be called up soon and can secure his spot for the rest of the season.

If he comes out in his next start, pitches well and has his velocity still up, I think he should be brought up. It would be 3 straight quality starts..The walks would be down and if he continues to improve on the velocity, the K's will probably be up as well.

Now, if he is still out of whack mechanics wise and just able to get by because he is a superior talent, then you can keep him in AAA.

But if the performance is there, the mechanics are good and the velocity is up, why keep him down?

If he comes out in his next start, pitches well and has his velocity still up, I think he should be brought up. It would be 3 straight quality starts..The walks would be down and if he continues to improve on the velocity, the K's will probably be up as well.

Now, if he is still out of whack mechanics wise and just able to get by because he is a superior talent, then you can keep him in AAA.

But if the performance is there, the mechanics are good and the velocity is up, why keep him down?

And there's 100K!

Grats on 100k - And thank you for all you bring to OH!

I AM excited about Matusz' latest start, but I don't think that that means that he is ready to come back up to the Orioles. I think that he had an excellent start, and that he should continue pitching right at the level where he is at (AAA) until he consistently pitches as well as he just did. That will take at least another month, which is when the Tides' season ends.

You're a beast.

Archived