MATUSZ at AAA-Norfolk

OFFNY

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I understand your overall point, I don't think any issues with Matusz can be blamed on our minor league development system. Matusz spent about 3 months down there, and any loss of velocity or deterioration in his pitching occurred after he was a major leaguer already. Whatever else you can blame on them, the Stockstills don't deserve the blame for whatever is wrong with Matusz.

Yeah, let's remember, Matusz was fantastic over the last two and half months of 2010. Whatever has happened to him it's not the development system at fault. I honestly think there is something wrong with him physically.

Yeah, let's remember, Matusz was fantastic over the last two and half months of 2010. Whatever has happened to him it's not the development system at fault. I honestly think there is something wrong with him physically.

Or...does he have a conditioning issue? I've read in here (sorry to be repetitive) that he's got a bit of an issue with keeping himself in good pitching shape. I'd like to know if that's true.

Have to agree - while 2010 might be considered a small sample size and certainly Bergy was equally impressive two years ago, Matusz just blew through the minors like a hot knife through butter - something isnt right with him that he cant hit 90 anymore with his fastball. I do agree with alot of people though that BM has to get on some kind of S&C program to bulk up some and get more endurance. Its not like his frame couldnt handle another 15 LBS. We all would be stupid to give up on him now....

"It's been a tough year," Matusz said. "Going into this spring we had new pitching coaches and things were just different. For me, I probably was slightly unprepared coming into spring training and as a result, an injury came about.
"Also one thing, my weight has been a little bit down. I'm down to about 192 pounds now and whereas last year I pitched at 200 pounds. I need to keep up on my eating schedule and my eating routine to keep that strength and body weight up."

Conditioning. This is what it all comes down to.

Why organizations (and the Ravens are no exception, fwiw, this is a problem across all organizations) allow their players to run rampant in the offseason is beyond me. These players need to be supervised in some capacity: check-ins, follow off-season routines, etc.

Why organizations (and the Ravens are no exception, fwiw, this is a problem across all organizations) allow their players to run rampant in the offseason is beyond me. These players need to be supervised in some capacity: check-ins, follow off-season routines, etc.

I wonder if there's some team that finally gets buy-in from most of their players and establishes baseball as a round-the-year job. Almost have to be a very young team with a handful of gung-ho vets. Basically they all get together and say we're working out as a team from November through January. Maybe even incentivize it with awards (cash, or whatever) for the hardest off-season workers.

It's the initial hurdle that'll be really hard. If that team has success, in short order that's how all MLB teams will do business. Like Bill James once said about almost all innovation in baseball: it's initially treated as insanity, then within a few years of success it's universally adopted as the only way to do things.

That is an overreaction, in my opinion. We will see.
He said now...I don't see how you can disagree with that.

That doesn't mean it will stay that way but as of right now and the way he has been since coming back from the injury, he is a AAAA player at best.

Yeah, there are any number of meal/fitness websites/apps that the team could use. Work with the developer to create something specific for the organization and then make it so the info reports to the front office. If you miss say, a week of time entering your food and workouts, you get a phone call from Buck Showalter or Andy MacPhail.

Reading his quotes do give me some hope that Brian was not in the best shape and Connor didn't help matters much in ST, making it sound like whatever happened to him can be fixed. At least it sounds like Brian knows this and Griffin has him working on it.

Let's hope he can fix his issues and come back ready to go in 2012.

2011 looks to be a lost season for him now, though.

Reading this it sure sounds like Conner tinkered a little too much.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/07/matusz-on-norfolk-his-fastball-and-the-future.html

That's reassuring to me. He's (they've) pinpointed a couple problems and are correcting them. I'm still confident that Brian will be back and at his top form. He's shown too much talent (and results) in the majors to be a bust like a few have predicted.

I know nothing about BM personally. But I have watched almost all of his ML starts and from my observations, the guy has never been in good physical shape. He looks winded in the 2nd inning of most starts. I would hope it is that simple and can be corrected.

Archived