What phase of Andy's plan are we in now?

helloharv

Something that people ought to pay attention to when it comes to MacPhail's "free reign" over the organization.

It has always seemed like Peter Angelos would trump decisions based on his affection to a given individual. He really liked Roberts and squashed a deal to the Cubs. He personally took care of the Ripken negotiations IIRC. He also fired Davey Johnson and John Miller who were both very capable at the times of the firings.

It is funny how Angelos operates IMO. I think he is a kind money unless you cross him, but many organizational leaders are like that. He does good things for the community and doesn't seem to care if the paper know's about his action, that is not why he is doing it. Players I spoke with said he was engaging as a speaker and a very smart man.

On the flip side, you get the feeling that no GM will be given a financial number in the offseason and be told to make things happen and let me know if you need anything else from me. Angelos gives the appearance of being hands off, but there is no doubt that he dabbles when he shouldn't.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has always seemed like Peter Angelos would trump decisions based on his affection to a given individual. He really liked Roberts and squashed a deal to the Cubs. He personally took care of the Ripken negotiations IIRC. He also fired Davey Johnson and John Miller who were both very capable at the times of the firings.

It is funny how Angelos operates IMO. I think he is a kind money unless you cross him, but many organizational leaders are like that. He does good things for the community and doesn't seem to care if the paper know's about his action, that is not why he is doing it. Players I spoke with said he was engaging as a speaker and a very smart man.

On the flip side, you get the feeling that no GM will be given a financial number in the offseason and be told to make things happen and let me know if you need anything else from me. Angelos gives the appearance of being hands off, but there is no doubt that he dabbles when he shouldn't.

Nail on Head. Anyone paying attention knows the problem starts and stops with PA. The important thing to remember about his "management" approach is that we are not talking about his law firm, something I am certain he knows everything there is to know about running. We are talking about baseball something he knows very little about. He needs to hire a person/people he can trust, give them a budget and get out of the way. No more you can't trade this guy or you cant fire that guy.

Stotle,

Are they known entities sitting out there that could make this organization better in both the US and international markets?

If there were unemployed persons capable with certainty of turning around an organization, they probably wouldn't be unemployed for long. More likely, you have to hire someone away from another club and give them a raise.

Exactly how many times are you going to start the exact same thread? You used to have interesting things to say, now 99 percent of the time you just come on here whenever things are going poorly to bash MacPhail. It gets old.

I was actually trying to find my old thread and bring it back up. If someone can find it that would be great. It is amazing how people were bashing me,saying Andy is the perfect choice for our rebuilding plan. They said...wait til next year..you will see! Then the next year they said...wait til next year..you will see! Well we are in year 4 of this crap and it hasn't gotten any better at all. Why was everyone just giving him blind praise? We are no better of than they day he took over and it ticks me off me that he isrunning our once proud franchise into the ground. Heck he has even ticked off the season ticket holders and the fans that used to drive up on game day just to see our great ballpark. We are going to yet another drop off in fans in the stands. Wasn't he going to make us exciting and the team that free-agents want to come play for? Wasn't he going to add young talent for the future?

I was actually trying to find my old thread and bring it back up. If someone can find it that would be great. It is amazing how people were bashing me,saying Andy is the perfect choice for our rebuilding plan. They said...wait til next year..you will see! Then the next year they said...wait til next year..you will see! Well we are in year 4 of this crap and it hasn't gotten any better at all. Why was everyone just giving him blind praise? We are no better of than they day he took over and it ticks me off me that he isrunning our once proud franchise into the ground. Heck he has even ticked off the season ticket holders and the fans that used to drive up on game day just to see our great ballpark. We are going to yet another drop off in fans in the stands. Wasn't he going to make us exciting and the team that free-agents want to come play for? Wasn't he going to add young talent for the future?

PErsonally, I bash you because the foundation of your opinions is awful. Your "knowledge" is NST-ish.

And, of course, it is all because of your man crush on Flanny.

I'm not trying to play board policeman here but shouldn't this be in the "babbling rant" section?

PErsonally, I bash you because the foundation of your opinions is awful. Your "knowledge" is NST-ish.

And, of course, it is all because of your man crush on Flanny.

What does Flanny have to do with anything?

Who was right about this year ? me or you?

And I will put my "knowledge" up to you any day of the week. I have been proving right time and time again. You Posting 50 times a day doesn't make you any smarter than other posters. I wish we could pull up my old thread where you made comments about how great Andy was doing and our future is bright. LOL

And I will put my "knowledge" up to you any day of the week. I have been proving right time and time again. You Posting 50 times a day doesn't make you any smarter than other posters. I wish we could pull up my old thread where you made comments about how great Andy was doing and our future is bright. LOL

LOL...You keep thinking this...You are the most clueless poster on this site. You have zero knowledge. You are nothing but a parody of yourself. You are nothing but a broken record.

You have never seen comments from me about how great AM is...I have liked some of his moves but I was against him much earlier than most.

I'm not one to fight SG's battles, but he's talked a lot about Andy's "mediocrity".

All I know is my Orioles fan experience was much better today. Had to be at the high school at 430 for 600 practice got done with meetings at 845. It was 10-4 in the ninth when I looked at the box score and my Orioles heartbreak was over for the day.

I think Scrat has a pretty good point about 20/20 hindsight. Most posters thought he had a pretty good offseason. A lot of breaks have gone against him. That said, it just doesn't appear his approach is working.

Draft the arms, develop the arms = grow the arms. This is where he has failed. You had a thread a few weeks back about all the young pitchers having success while the O's have yet to establish even one pitcher who can give you a consistent game. We need to revamp the scouting and development staff's IF they are indeed the issue and not management or ownership.

I don't see how anyone could say AM had a bad offseason. We dodged some mistake signings, and got two young impact players. It's the core, the farm system, and lack of FA signings in other offseasons that are killing us now.

Not sure what phase the Orioles are in, but I'm in the "I'm a diehard so I still care, but I am no longer giving this team the benefit of the doubt on ANYTHING" phase.

By this, I am talking about everything from MacPhail having total control to the team not knowing about Roberts' injuries to the total regression of Matusz and Tillman and others. This team has failed in every way possible, and I no longer will take up for them. They stink from top to bottom, plain and simple. Last night my daughter and I went to the IronBirds game. By the 2nd inning we were down 5 to zip! We left in the top of the 5th inning. That's right, I couldn't take any more than 4 innings of the crap baseball they put on the field. This entire organization has kicked me in the nuts one too many times.

Last time I checked MacPhail did what he needed to (could) do (for the most part). And I didn't see him giving up the bombs at Boston either... I didn't see him hurt his head diving into firstbase...

MacPhail brought in JJ Hardy and made the deal to get Reynolds. He also took a shot in the dark on 3 others veterans to see what they had in the tank (Lee, Vlad, Gregg). I wasn't a fan of the Vlad signing ($), but it wasn't for lack of effort. So that's +2 (JJ and Reynolds), -2 (Lee, Vlad) and a push (Gregg) so far.

Throw in a few injuries (Matusz, Lee, Roberts, Scott). Some regression in the rotation (Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen...) and Markakis until recently.

Ok we suck. We've sucked for a long time. Hopefully MacPhail will see that we still suck and will do something this trading season. When he first got here, MacPhail saw that the ship was sinking, so he starting bailing. Hopefully he sees that what has been done so far hasn't fixed the ship yet...

TRADE THE VALUABLE COMMODITIES NOW!!! Anyone but Jones, Markakis, Weiters, Britton and Matusz should be on the table (and those too if the price is right).

Archived