Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: Who's #11?

ScottieBaseball

Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: Who's #11?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: Who's #11?

This poll is closed to new votes

His prospect status has been increased because of a couple of good starts, the bottomline is he is an average pitcher who throws hard. So far he has shown nothing to suggest he is any thing more than just average.

Obviously you have never seen him pitch or you would call him an average pitcher. He has the ability to miss bats and you can't teach that. When Hernandez mixes his changeup with his other 2 pitches then he dominates hitters like he did the last 2 starts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hernandez had a somewhat decent season. However I think he is vastly overrated on here. I mean he did put up a 4.95 ERA in A ball at 22 years old.

I voted for David Hernandez. I don't think Baseball Prospectus thinks he is overated(ranked him 10th) and neither does Scout.com(ranked him 12th) and I'm sure OH see him as the 11th best prospect, IMO.

He's a little old for the league but ERA is almost completely meaningless RE: evaluation of prospects in minor leagues

Yikes, I would never go that far to say ERA is meaningless when evaluating prospects, not even close. Yes there are lots of factors that you go by but ERA does get put into the equation. It may not be the end all, but it's far from meaningless.

You guys are not going to like this selection if I go by the voting so far. If you know the way we've done our lists the last few years, upside potential has weighed more heavily.

I'm going to like your pick no matter which one it is. And if its Tyler Henson, I'll be glad to know that there is a SS prospect in the system who is that highly regarded.

Obviously you have never seen him pitch or you would call him an average pitcher. He has the ability to miss bats and you can't teach that. When Hernandez mixes his changeup with his other 2 pitches then he dominates hitters like he did the last 2 starts.

I actually have seen him pitch. He definately has potential, but I want to see him produce at a high level throughout an entire season before I'm ready to get all excited about him. He has great stuff, no doubt, I just want to see him put it all together.

I'm going to like your pick no matter which one it is. And if its Tyler Henson, I'll be glad to know that there is a SS prospect in the system who is that highly regarded.

Totally agree, although there are reports that he may not stick at SS but move to CF (which is still good).

I actually have seen him pitch. He definately has potential, but I want to see him produce at a high level throughout an entire season before I'm ready to get all excited about him. He has great stuff, no doubt, I just want to see him put it all together.

Agreed. . . .and so do I!!!!;)

You guys are not going to like this selection if I go by the voting so far. If you know the way we've done our lists the last few years, upside potential has weighed more heavily.

I'm now confused??:confused: I'm trying to do the math and apparently my math is different.

As you stated earlier:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1087426&postcount=17

From that comment, I would assume that Hernandez would be 11th but then your quote above confuses me???:confused: :002_sconfused:

I'm now confused??:confused: I'm trying to do the math and apparently my math is different.

As you stated earlier:

From that comment, I would assume that Hernandez would be 11th but then your quote above confuses me???:confused: :002_sconfused:

What exactly constitutes not waiting too long? One pick, two picks, three picks...five picks? ;)

Gotta keep you guys guessing, besides, at this point everytime we don't name Hernandez we get "1000 posts" telling us my we're wronging him somehow! :D

As you stated earlier:

Tony hasn't seen him pitch this year, as he has mentioned, so IMO, I think the OH(especially Tony) are holding Hernandez's high ERA against him. But if Tony had seen him pitch the last 2 games this year, I believe he might hold a different opinion on him, as Scottie has.

What exactly constitutes not waiting too long? One pick, two picks, three picks...five picks? ;)

Gotta keep you guys guessing, besides, at this point everytime we don't name Hernandez we get "1000 posts" telling us my we're wronging him somehow! :D

I guess it really doesn't matter what you guys(OH, Baseball Prospectus,Scout.com, Baseball America, etc) think anyway. Everybody(publications) has a different opinion, even the posters. I think next year is a big year for him and if he has a good year then all this doesn't really matter.

Archived