Would you make this trade

bigbird

Of the four guys mentioned only Burres had a representative season last year. My perception is that Gomes and Baldelli have much more upside left then an average ti mediocre starter and a declining catcher. it is true that Baldelli has not been healthy for a couple of years and Gomes had an off year last year but to me Gomes has 30 to 35 home run porential and if Baldelli can stay healthy he has all star peotential.

Yes, Gomes has big power but as I pointed out, he doesn't have much else and that will turn a lot of teams off.

Baldelli has great potential but in no way can you trust him.

Much like the Miggy for Crosby/Harden thread, I think most people are looking at the names here more than anything else.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not?

What do you guys think they could get for these 2 players?

When most of the people on here are calling it a great trade for us and would be willing to add more, that's a pretty good indication that the other team should not make the trade imo. Most on here typically overrate our own players, and expect more than what is fair, so I'm guessing the Rays can do better, plus they'd be dumb to go after Hernandez imo. Plus the DRays are known for holding out for a lot for their young players. Now if they really value Ramon/Burres, I guess it wouldn't be that bad in their view.

The only real question here is Baldelli's health, I read something awhile ago that wondered if he'd even be able to come back.

When most of the people on here are calling it a great trade for us and would be willing to add more, that's a pretty good indication that the other team should not make the trade imo. Most on here typically overrate our own players, and expect more than what is fair, so I'm guessing the Rays can do better, plus they'd be dumb to go after Hernandez imo. Plus the DRays are known for holding out for a lot for their young players. Now if they really value Ramon/Burres, I guess it wouldn't be that bad in their view.

The only real question here is Baldelli's health, I read something awhile ago that wondered if he'd even be able to come back.

Again, i think people are all over the trade because of the names and the frustration from Ramon's poor season.

The Rays need a catcher.

As you said, Baldelli may not be able to make it back and this way they get something for him and aren't bound to his contract for this year.

Burres may have been their best starter after Kazmir and Shields last year.

Has either one of these guys played first in the minors? I would love to put Baldelli there if he could handle it.

I do not think this trade is a slam dunk. Yes I would make it, b/c I heard there is no much of a market for Ramon and he underperformed his contract.

Again, i think people are all over the trade because of the names and the frustration from Ramon's poor season.

The Rays need a catcher.

As you said, Baldelli may not be able to make it back and this way they get something for him and aren't bound to his contract for this year.

Burres may have been their best starter after Kazmir and Shields last year.

Your all over this trade as well, you said you'd be willing to up the offer.

They could use a catcher, but their not going to make the playoffs next year, so why get Ramon? Get someone younger.

That's poor reasoning regarding their rotation, that's like me saying the O's should go get a .680 OPS LF because he'd be better than Payton/Gibbons.

Your all over this trade as well, you said you'd be willing to up the offer.

Yea but I have liked both Gomes and Baldelli for a while...Much more than most on here. I like the deal for its potential but IMO, the Rays may be getting the better end of it right now.

They could use a catcher, but their not going to make the playoffs next year, so why get Ramon? Get someone younger.
Good question...Who knows...Who cares...Just let them do it. :D
That's poor reasoning regarding their rotation, that's like me saying the O's should go get a .680 OPS LF because he'd be better than Payton/Gibbons

Not disagreeing with you but I think Burres can be a 4/5 starter in this league personally....But he has to improve his BB rate.

I think it would be more likely to happen with Hoey in the deal and i still make that trade.

I would make that trade as well. Baldelli needs to reestablish his value as a bonafide big league talent. The way we do that would be to NOT put him in CF, but for one year make him the DH. Radical idea? Not really, just common sense in my view. I like Gomes, and while he has DH written all over him, he can play a decent LF and DH on Baldelli's off days. This would increase the likelihood that Baldelli could stay healthy, an important feature in getting his talent to once again blossom.

Again, I like it, and think it could make alot of sense both short term and potentially into our coming competing years ('10-11).

I say let's do it. I only wish I had the power to make it so. :D

Question bigbird: when you asked this question was it due to personal curiosity, or because you heard something, or both?

At this time of the year when everything an insider posts is obsessed over, I think it would be greatly appreciated if you were crystal clear. It's a burden that normal posters don't have to deal with, but with great power comes great responsibility!

Thanks.

Hmmm, bb doesn't usually propose fake trades ala, uhh, everyone else;)

Well, if you go back and look at what he said, you'll see that he never actually said anything at all. He just asked a simple question ;-)

Is bigbird not allowed to ask a question without it being some important secret clue? Can't he just ask a question because he feels like it? Maybe he's really bored and suddenly found himself just typing stuff, who knows why, maybe just for the entertainment value. It's not like his question was stamped with a security-clearance. It's not like he had to sneak it out of the building in his shorts...

I would make that trade as well. Baldelli needs to reestablish his value as a bonafide big league talent. The way we do that would be to NOT put him in CF, but for one year make him the DH. Radical idea? Not really, just common sense in my view. I like Gomes, and while he has DH written all over him, he can play a decent LF and DH on Baldelli's off days. This would increase the likelihood that Baldelli could stay healthy, an important feature in getting his talent to once again blossom.

Again, I like it, and think it could make alot of sense both short term and potentially into our coming competing years ('10-11).

I say let's do it. I only wish I had the power to make it so. :D

Are you sure ?

I have heard he is a big liability anywhere in the field.

I think we would be lucky to get one of these guys for Ramon. Tampa, despite changing regimes, still drives a pretty hard bargain.

No way do they trade both of these guys for a 31 yr old catcher.

There has been rumblings of floating Crawford and / or Kazmir for high level prospects. Why on earth would they not go for a young catcher ?

Well, if you go back and look at what he said, you'll see that he never actually said anything at all. He just asked a simple question ;-)

Is bigbird not allowed to ask a question without it being some important secret clue? Can't he just ask a question because he feels like it? Maybe he's really bored and suddenly found himself just typing stuff, who knows why, maybe just for the entertainment value. It's not like his question was stamped with a security-clearance. It's not like he had to sneak it out of the building...

No. No he can't. :D

This would be a great trade for us! Don't see Tampa Bay doing it though. Bigbird is this just your idea or is it something being talked about???

Considering we figured Hernandez's value to be a decent relief pitcher (i.e. Heilman), getting back 2 young bats with upside is big. If we did this trade, if we traded Tejada or Bedard I guess we'd shift from outfielders to a 1B and pitching.

Archived