Jeter broke a pact; no more all-star selections for him, please

Frobby

MLB has the ASG set up and promoted as "Fans vote in the All Stars." So basically, Jeter is telling the fans "F You, I don't care what you think." That's why the reaction is what it is. Personally, I'm glad he and Rivera and Tex and ARoid and all the rest of the jackrabbits aren't there.

I was hoping that Hardy would get Jeter's spot, but I guess I forgot about the rule that only one Oriole can attend the game. :rolleyes:

Hey, hey, hey ........... he's Derek ****ing Jeter, man.

I normally defend Jeter against a lot of the nonsense I've seen over the years, but this time I'll have to agree that he should show up, get introduced, tip his cap, get his ovation, and not play if he isn't up to it. Jeter, like Cal at the end of his career should be there if only for the fans.

I understand a little bit of the disappointment but I honestly think this is greatly overblown. Jeter is on the fast track to the Hall of Fame. He's got 5 rings, 3,000 hits and counting, Rookie of the Year, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers and he's been an All Star 11 times headed into this season. Seven of those times, he was voted to start.

He's done it the fans way 7 times. Let's not pretend that this is some farewell party like it was for Cal...let's not pretend this is the last time we'll see the Great Derek Jeter on a national stage. Let's not pretend that someday in the next year or two he'll announce that he's retiring at the end of the season and there'll be a ton of publicity about his career and how great he's been. And when he's giving his HoF speech, no one will remember this.

How many of us here know what it's like to amass 3,000 hits? Last time I checked the only thousands of things any one of us have accumulated on the OH are baseball cards and posts. I don't think any of us really reserve the right to get upset with him because not one of us can really feel what it's like to have been in his shoes over the past few weeks.

What I do know is that there have been quite a few nights in my life where I've felt the need to stay in on a Friday night or lay low for a weekend while my friends are out partying cause I'm pretty tired and need to recharge. And it wasn't from getting 3,000 hits.

John Kruk suggested that even the unhealthy players should show up. Wave, sign balls, etc. I think I agree with that. If you're healthy enough to travel with your team, you should be at the game if you're voted in.

This is my feeling as well, If you don't feel up to playing, then don't play, but at least show up, smile, and make the fans happy.

The funny thing is that the same people whining about how "we won't stop hearing about this for weeks", are the same people whining about "how can he not show up and let the fans salute him"..So if he would've shown up, they'd be whining about how sick they are of hearing about it again. Basically, a no win situation. Whatever though, I still think he could've come and tipped his cap.

Not referring to anyone in particular, just a general thought based on things I've read all over...

The whole "players aren't showing up" thing is a completely made-up talking point anyway, though actually Jeter is the one guy who doesn't have a strong excuse. Either way, I don't care. Fans will continue to vote him in because that is what they do. He'll play.

All in all, I'm actually glad. It's one less Yankee we have to see in the game, one less Yankee starting in the game, I won't have to relive the "re"-celebration of Jeter's 3000th hit that almost certainly would have occurred had Jeter appeared in Arizona, and by not appearing, he pissed off a lot of people, which is bad press for him and the Yankees. All of that is fine with me. :cool:

All in all, I'm actually glad. It's one less Yankee we have to see in the game, one less Yankee starting in the game, I won't have to relive the "re"-celebration of Jeter's 3000th hit that almost certainly would have occurred had Jeter appeared in Arizona, and by not appearing, he pissed off a lot of people, which is bad press for him and the Yankees. All of that is fine with me. :cool:

My feelings exactly.

Only thing is.. I bet he nor the Yankees really care. They and the Red Sox are ruining baseball and get enough bad press for that and they don't care. The fanbases they have will overlook and excuse virtually anything they do. Sad really.

Only thing is.. I bet he nor the Yankees really care. They and the Red Sox are ruining baseball and get enough bad press for that and they don't care. The fan-bases they have will overlook and excuse virtually anything they do. Sad really.

Oh, I know that the Yankees don't care. But not having him in the game (or even at the game) just meant that there was a little less nauseating television for me.

Archived