Hardy extended

nevadaO

I basically agree with all of this. I think Hardy is very sure-handed and makes plays on the balls he gets to. He's not fast, but he's got pretty good first-twitch instincts, and he generally positions himself well. I think, all-in-all, he's an above average defender at short. BTW, I don't think UZR numbers are particularly reliable over a season or less, but over the course of a career, I trust UZR to give me a good composite sketch of a guy's defensive abilities.

Well, we've heard the analyses that say there aren't enough chances in one season to get a reliable read on defensive ability. But even so, I have my qualms about UZR even as a longer-term measure, due largely to the home-away split phenomenon.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, we've heard the analyses that say there aren't enough chances in one season to get a reliable read on defensive ability. But even so, I have my qualms about UZR even as a longer-term measure, due largely to the home-away split phenomenon.

Home/away shouldn't affect infielders at all.

EDIT -- obviously with the exception of turf playing faster.

I think it generally has some troubles calibrating consistently at different ballparks. A legitimate concern, though I'm not sure what to make of it.

Home/away shouldn't affect infielders at all.

You would think so, but some infields are faster and more easy to read. Not to mention turf versus non turf etc. I'm pretty sure that's not accurately captured in many cases. It's been tweaked more than once. Jeter has a pretty distinct splits (range and errors) that I think affected him adversely at old Yankee Stadium. Away he was an average fielding ss. Field fx should help refine the measurements.

You would think so, but some infields are faster and more easy to read. Not to mention turf versus non turf etc. I'm pretty sure that's not accurately captured in many cases. It's been tweaked more than once. Jeter has a pretty distinct splits (range and errors) that I think affected him adversely at old Yankee Stadium. Away he was an average fielding ss. Field fx should help refine the measurements.

I guess what I am getting at is that the difference between a fast or slow infield, or an infield with patterns in the grass as opposed to lines likely are subject to fewer fluctations than outfields that can very drastically in size and shape, expanding and contracting the actual zones themselves.

Agree field f/x should be a step in the right direction.

I guess what I am getting at is that the difference between a fast or slow infield, or an infield with patterns in the grass as opposed to lines likely are subject to fewer fluctations than outfields that can very drastically in size and shape, expanding and contracting the actual zones themselves.

Fewer fluctuations I would agree. Easier to rectify with field fx data input as well.

How far away is Field f/x?

Beane and DePodesta did one thing: exploit an undervalued commodity through advanced sabermetrics. It wasn't about scouting the best baseball bodies with the five tools and sweet swings. It was about crunching numbers and realizing that you can pay guys who take walks a sack of marbles compared to the going contract rate. Great; it worked fine until every scouting department in the nation hired a round faced stat major to crunch the same numbers and close the exploit gap.

Beane hasn't done anything since really, although you can tell he's put a lot of effort into having the best defense and pitching in the league at the expense of hitting.

I think Beane's 15:00 of being the guy who struck oil with sabermetrics is sadly over, and I wouldnt consider him a GM that's doing a great job without the help of his OBP exploit.

...wrong thread? :P

Archived