Is L.J. Hoes the Orioles best hitting prospect behind Machado?

MarkakisFan21

I'd like to know how "our" prospects are viewed around major league baseball, other than Machado and Schoop. We have always over-hyped our prospects as Oriole fans. Alvie Sheperd, Calvin Pickering, Curtis Goodwin, to name a few. Let's say we were in the hunt for a playoff spot this year and wanted to make a deal at the trading deadline for a guy like Mark Bhuerle or Edwin Jackson. Could we do it? Think about it. Could we? Are our B prospects actual B prospects or are they actually C's and D's around the league?

Tony, what's your take?

It's tough to say since I really don't follow other organizations very closely. If I had to profilr every day major leaguers right now I see Machado and Schoop (too early in Davis and Sawyer). Machado is a A prospect and Scoop is B+ for me. After that we have a lot of C-type offensive prospect although again, guys like Sawyer and Davis are incompetents. Hoes, Miclat, Mummey, Avery, Townsend, Mahoney, Joseph are all all C+ to C type guys for me but Hoes could go higher is he ever develops some power, even if it's consistent doubles power.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Hoes is even a top ten prospect. Not as a corner outfielder/weak fielding second baseman.

He has played LF and 3rd the majority of the time at Bowie. I would like to see him at 2nd for an extended time however Greg Miclat is on fire and has improved his defense at 2nd. Time will tell. I have noticed Hoes hits a lot to the opposite field. If he pulls the ball you will see his power numbers take shape.

He's playing like garbage this year at Frederick. Hoes' numbers last year at Frederick(at the same age Schoop is now) were much better.

Except Hoes is not in Frederick, he is at Bowie, where he is hitting .300/.353/.347. Not the power numbers you'd like to see, but the BA and OBP are very solid, especially considering Hoes is 21 years old. I'm not super-excited about the season he is having, but if he can maintain the .300 BA and get his OBP just a little higher, I'll wait another year for the power to start arriving.

He's playing like garbage this year at Frederick. Hoes' numbers last year at Frederick(at the same age Schoop is now) were much better.
He's talking about Schoop, not Hoes.

Thanks, now it makes sense. I agree that Schoop's numbers at Frederick have been disappointing. I think we need to keep in mind that Hoes had a full year at Delmarva before he got to Frederick. You could argue that the O's should have been more patient with Schoop. However, on the positive side, he is only striking out once every 10 PA, and his walk rate is very solid, so it is not as if he's completely overmatched there despite his poor slash line.

Here's some Baseball America top 10 prospect rankings for some different clubs back in 2006:

Baltimore

1. Nick Markakis, of

2. Adam Loewen, lhp

3. Hayden Penn, rhp

4. Nolan Reimold, of

5. Chris Ray, rhp

6. Garrett Olson, lhp

7. Brandon Snyder, c

8. J.J. Johnson, rhp

9. Brandon Erbe, rhp

10. Val Majewski, of

Cubs

1. Felix Pie, of

2. Mark Pawelek, lhp

3. Ronny Cedeno, ss

4. Angel Guzman, rhp

5. Rich Hill, lhp

6. Sean Marshall, lhp

7. Ricky Nolasco, rhp

8. Ryan Harvey, of

9. Brian Dopirak, 1b

10. Eric Patterson, 2b

Not really too bad for the O's -- except that we really have had two of those 2006 lists at our disposal since AM took over!

I'm going to have to get to Aberdeen just to see Davis. It looks like he's really making the adjustments he needed to succeed in the NY-Penn. Excellent speed, room to develop some power, not bad K numbers. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more walks but the K/BB ratio isn't that bad. You'd think some team would have taken a late round flyer on this guy. How did this guy go undrafted?

Gotta trust scouts over defensive stats, especially at the minor league level. I haven't heard any scout that doesn't think he will stick at second or third.

I don't trust the Orioles scout for squat. The Orioles are poor at best in selecting and developing players. the only guys drafted that play for the team in the field are Markakis and Wieters ...Both are high round one selections that basically fell in our laps. Both have really underperformed at the plate compared to expectations.

I don't trust the Orioles scout for squat. The Orioles are poor at best in selecting and developing players. the only guys drafted that play for the team in the field are Markakis and Wieters ...Both are high round one selections that basically fell in our laps. Both have really underperformed at the plate compared to expectations.

Not Markakis. He was considered a reach when he was drafted, and he has outperformed every expectation at that time.

That angels list is pretty impressive. If not for two freak accidents Adenhart and Morales could of made this into a ridiculous list.

1. Brandon Wood, ss - Below average MLB/minor leaguer

2. Howie Kendrick, 2b - Solid starter

3. Erick Aybar, ss - Major leaguer but nothing special

4. Jeff Mathis, c - Below average MLB

5. Jered Weaver, rhp - All-star

6. Nick Adenhart, rhp - Sadly cut short but looked good

7. Kendry Morales, 1b - Freak injury has created a roadblock but this guy looked very very good and had one allstar year

8. Alberto Callaspo, 2b - Solid major leaguer

9. Joe Saunders, lhp - Solid major leaguer

10. Tommy Mendoza, rhp - Don't know anything about him

We still over-hype our prospects, though. No one can deny that. We all envisioned an outfield of Reimold, Majewski, Markakis and a starting rotation of Beau Hale, Adam Loewen, Chris Smith, and Josh Towers, back in the day.

I really do not think we overhype our prospects more than any other team. The reason we talk about them more than other fanbases (if we do) is there has generally been very little to be excited about about the ML team. So we look ahead to what's coming and hope that that will be better than what we have now.

Regarding the lists that Enjoy Terror posted, I agree that we do not generally suffer from prospect attrition more than other teams - the glaring obvious difference is that we have not been able to produce the superstar that other teams have.

I really do not think we overhype our prospects more than any other team. The reason we talk about them more than other fanbases (if we do) is there has generally been very little to be excited about about the ML team. So we look ahead to what's coming and hope that that will be better than what we have now.

Regarding the lists that Enjoy Terror posted, I agree that we do not generally suffer from prospect attrition more than other teams - the glaring obvious difference is that we have not been able to produce the superstar that other teams have.

Exactly, all fans over-hype their home team's prospects. Just look at the trade proposals that you see here and then on other team boards. Any trade we suggest for Guthrie, the fans of the other team are bound to think we're smokin' crack and vice versa.

Archived