The Classless Carl Crawford

Baldimore, hon

Last night, I was attending the game (sitting three rows behind the visitor's on-deck circle). Carl Crawford comes up for his third at-bat and the 4 guys behind me, who are admittedly a little drunk, start asking him how it feels to have Josh Reddick batting ahead of him and playing his position when he's making 20 million dollars. They were also talking about how he makes $20 million and has a tattoo on his neck. Crawford actually turns around and says "What you worrying about my money for?" I was a little surprised that he would do this and merely thought, I guess he's not focused which is why he is not hitting well right now. He makes an out and the guys behind me get up and clap at him saying "good job, Carl" and while he's climbing in the dugout, he yells "F#@% You" to the guy behind me. I was extremely surprised that he did this. I've sat in those seats a bunch of times and I've said much worse than what was said to Carl Crawford to yankees players and the most I've ever gotten was a glare. Terry Francona then calls upstairs and says that he's got some guys who are being jerks and if they do one more thing he's going to have them thrown out. I didn't watch sportscenter or anything, but I would be a little surprised if this made it. Crawford plays on the Red Sox and since he was playing the Orioles, there wasn't enough coverage of it. But, should he get suspended for doing that? What should happen? Nothing? I don't know. I just couldn't believe that he did that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threatening to throw Orioles fans out of their own stadium for heckling the opposing team?! Wow, what has the game come to... I would raise hell if an usher tried to throw me out of a game for that. Only Boston and NY can pull those strings... Anyone think some Sux or Yanks fans would be thrown out of their stadiums if Buck complained about this? HELL NO

Last night, I was attending the game (sitting three rows behind the visitor's on-deck circle). Carl Crawford comes up for his third at-bat and the 4 guys behind me, who are admittedly a little drunk, start asking him how it feels to have Josh Reddick batting ahead of him and playing his position when he's making 20 million dollars. They were also talking about how he makes $20 million and has a tattoo on his neck. Crawford actually turns around and says "What you worrying about my money for?" I was a little surprised that he would do this and merely thought, I guess he's not focused which is why he is not hitting well right now. He makes an out and the guys behind me get up and clap at him saying "good job, Carl" and while he's climbing in the dugout, he yells "F#@% You" to the guy behind me. I was extremely surprised that he did this. I've sat in those seats a bunch of times and I've said much worse than what was said to Carl Crawford to yankees players and the most I've ever gotten was a glare. Terry Francona then calls upstairs and says that he's got some guys who are being jerks and if they do one more thing he's going to have them thrown out. I didn't watch sportscenter or anything, but I would be a little surprised if this made it. Crawford plays on the Red Sox and since he was playing the Orioles, there wasn't enough coverage of it. But, should he get suspended for doing that? What should happen? Nothing? I don't know. I just couldn't believe that he did that.

How do you know Francona called upstairs? To me, this is the only lame thing in this exchange. I really could care less that Orioles fans were heckling him (good for them) and I could care less that he gave it back, even though there was obviously a lack of class (especially if there were kids around) in his response. I tell you what though, I would love to sit next to the on deck circle with Scottie. He's a world class funny heckler. ;)

Yea. I don't have much sympathy for you. Heckle at your own risk.

They were also talking about how he makes $20 million and has a tattoo on his neck.

Why does the tatoo bother people when facial hair doesn't. Isn't he an adult? Wasn't the agrumnent about facial hair that players are adults and they should be able to have the look they want?

This line of thinking resulted in the Orioles looking like a bunch of unkempt fools with their facial hair. Soon the same line of thinking will bring us tatoos and nose rings.

As for the thread, players are trained throughout their careers to avoid fans comments, so as not to get distracted and harm their play. When they don't, they are said to have "rabbit ears". The fact that Crawford has grown Rabbit Ears tells me he is really upset about his performance.

How do you know that Francona called upstairs, and what he said?

Good questions. I was wondering the same thing.

All in all, I'm not a fan of hecklers, mostly because they interfere with other people trying to enjoy the game. That said, they shouldn't have any problem with the player making comments back. The moment Crawford crossed the line, though was when he brought foul language into play. After all, there are a lot of children at a ballpark.

I don't care if fans are getting on Crawford, they are what drives that salary. Nothing was said about his family so the heckling was clean enough. The issue I have is with any player yelling profanities into the stands. There are children at games and a love for the game of baseball starts at a young age. Players should keep that in mind everyday when they sign autographs, take pictures, speak with fellow team members or yell into the stands.

To answer some questions, yes there were kids around, which is why I felt Crawford's response was so classless. I could care less about cursing when it's amongst adults in a controlled environment. It's not like I don't do it myself. But, I also know when to draw the line and Crawford crossed it with what he said. The guys were heckling, but nothing super terrible. They were actually pretty good, knowledgable hecklers.

Regarding Francona, the usher called one of the hecklers over and told him that Francona had made that call and that there would be another one coming to remove them if they did any more.

P.S. I also asked Francona for some double bubble, but he wouldn't share.

Archived