Dbacks looking for a starter and reliever

Sports Guy

Yea, i asked that question...Referred to that in this thread.

As for Singleton, the Phillies need a cheap reliever...That's why they like Adams.

I would be offering JJ for him if I were the Orioles.

The Orioles may indeed like and want Goldschmidt but they aren't dealing Guthrie unless they get a pitcher back.

So, if you were to deal Guthrie, Koji and say 2 million to Zona, what else should we be asking for, knowing that the Orioles will want a ML ready pitcher to come back in the deal to take the innings we lose with Guthrie?

Of course, the Orioles could make some seperate deal and get Millwood back or something like that but I am not sure they are savvy enough to do that.

People have mentioned Skaggs...He appears to be a good target. He has gotten roughed up in his first 2 AA outings but still, he appears to be a good target...But again, he is in AA, not ready to come up yet.

EDIT: The Orioles could always take back Zach Duke in the deal...His ERA looks a lot worse than he has pitched...His FIP is way better...Not walking a lot of guys, nor giving up a lot of homers. By taking him, we don't have to worry about sending money back in the deal and the Orioles get a vet to take some of the innings that Guthrie leaves behind.

So, does a Duke/Goldschmidt/Skaggs for Guthrie/Koji deal work for everyone?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People have mentioned Skaggs...He appears to be a good target. He has gotten roughed up in his first 2 AA outings but still, he appears to be a good target...But again, he is in AA, not ready to come up yet.

Sorry didn't read the whole thread just the end, great ask on your part.

That's nuts if the O's aren't willing to get Goldschmidt without getting pitching back. He's exactly what this team needs. And probably the best hitter return we can get for Guthrie if you ask me. Most teams probably aren't going to give up the kind of pitchers we want back. I'll hold out hope that Guthrie can net us Alonso or Goldschmidt but as you mentioned I'd also prefer the latter.

EDIT: The Orioles could always take back Zach Duke in the deal...His ERA looks a lot worse than he has pitched...His FIP is way better...Not walking a lot of guys, nor giving up a lot of homers. By taking him, we don't have to worry about sending money back in the deal and the Orioles get a vet to take some of the innings that Guthrie leaves behind.

Oh my God yes. Highly doubt ARI lets go of all three, though.

Yea I agree...He looks and sounds like a good target but its pretty hard for me to believe that Guthrie doesn't fetch him(and perhaps, more than him).

He should not be untouchable from Arizona's perspective. Nice prospect; not elite.

EDIT - Note, Visalia/Mobile two of the better homerun parks in the minors.

BTW, Skaggs is the true centerpiece of this deal IMO.

Yea, that's what it sounds like...Also sounds like I an expecting too much here though.

It's not really close, in my opinion. Skaggs is a far better prospect than Goldschmidt and he's lined up perfectly to be part of a huge mave of arms for Arizona. He was a projection pick when drafted and has developed well. Front-end arm upside but likely a very strong mid-roation lefty. Pair that with the other arms that should be signed or are already in the system and Arizona is positioning themselves well from 2013 on.

It's not really close, in my opinion. Skaggs is a far better prospect than Goldschmidt and he's lined up perfectly to be part of a huge mave of arms for Arizona. He was a projection pick when drafted and has developed well. Front-end arm upside but likely a very strong mid-roation lefty. Pair that with the other arms that should be signed or are already in the system and Arizona is positioning themselves well from 2013 on.

Right, it doesn't make sense for ARI, who is building around young arms right now, to give up Skaggs for anyone short of an elite, young, ML proven pitcher with service time remaining.

I do, however, think that a Guthrie/Koji deal centered around Goldschmidt and including a small cash transfer could make sense for both sides, though. Duke is whatever, but at least it would give Buck a replacement starter for the remainder of the season.

Isn't everyone interested in a 27-year-old utility guy with a .614 OPS and an erratic glove?

I guess I really don't get the Andino hate. Who cares if he's erratic (which I think is exaggerated) if he's a plus defender (which I think he's perfectly capable of being at ss). He's shown ability to be more patient and get on base this year. In the past he's shown power. No we're not talking about a star here, but I see a guy who's perfectly capable of being a league average/near league average ss on the cheap.

Right, it doesn't make sense for ARI, who is building around young arms right now, to give up Skaggs for anyone short of an elite, young, ML proven pitcher with service time remaining.

I do, however, think that a Guthrie/Koji deal centered around Goldschmidt and including a small cash transfer could make sense for both sides, though. Duke is whatever, but at least it would give Buck a replacement starter for the remainder of the season.

I personally would prefer not to make a move for a AA 1st baseman with limited profile and two years at HR-friendly parks, but I don't feel strongly about it (haven't seen him in MiL game action so I'm going off of old looks and numbers). I'm going to pull some video on Goldschmidt and take a look this weekend as part of a write-up, but he doesn't really excite me.

Archived